Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I eat this? (not kosher related)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:29 am
Last night I made some pasta with chicken and I made a lot so I have leftover for today lunch and dinner.

However after dinner, I went to the bedroom quite soon after, and then I fell asleep. (Had dinner really late). By the time I woke up, it was 7am and I realised I had forgotten to put the leftover pasta in the fridge. It was left in a pot on the table, with a cover on it for about 8 hours.
I put it in the fridge straight away, but can I eat it today? The meat was cooked, just left out.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:44 am
I would toss it. Even pasta isn't safe after 8 hours on the counter, and for sure, not the chicken.

Sorry to bear bad news, but the cost of the food is less than the cost of dealing with potential illness.

Kitten

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:36 am
I would eat it. I often deliberately leave food on the counter overnight. Nothing happens to it.

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:01 am
If it was only plain pasta, nothing else, maybe, but since it had chicken,no way.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:18 am
would taste and see but all cultural Wink

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:02 pm
Toss it.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 3:14 pm
I was once cooking late Thursday night and woke up Friday to realize I left the schnitzel still on the counter (uncovered) all night. It tasted fine. We all ate it and B"H no one got sick.

ruti13

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:52 pm
In general if it was fully cooked it should be fine.

Key word is should be.

I would give it to my cat Tongue Out

piece

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:23 pm
if pasta alone, I would keep, reheat & eat; but with chicken - I agree to toss Sad Sad

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:10 pm
You can, the question is should you?

Honest ,with chicken, I wouldn't risk it. Dry pasta without any sauce, I would probably, but it doesn't taste good.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:27 pm
Thanks for your replies everyone - I didn't eat it. I agree better to be safe than sorry, even though it might have been ok as the chicken was thoroughly cooked and the pot had a lid on it. But still I have noticed that leftovers always taste better when placed in the fridge asap not left out all night. I read something about the potential for cooked chicken to re - grow some toxins (even when it's been cooked properly) if it's kept at room temp. for more than 2 hours and that put me off as I'm not as healthy as I used to be and just don't want to get sick even though for most people it prob would have been fine. Saying that I have eaten meat that's been cooked and left out in the kitchen a while before, but guess I was just being cautious this time.
Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen