Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please compare and contrast baltimore and passaic

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 2:59 pm
Hi, I am very very tentatively toying with the idea of moving to baltimore but would like to know a lot more about it. I see that Baltimore and Passaic are often both recommended so was curious how they are the same or different. Passaic is much closer to family for us but Baltimore seems much cheaper. How do the schools compare with each other etc....Please discuss. Thank you.!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:25 pm
I have first hand experience in both places, and to be honest they're very similar! Though I'd venture to say that Passaic is even a little less "gashmiyusdik" than Baltimore, as if you are looking for more gashmiyus in NY/NJ you can go other communities. However, in Baltimore you will encounter some circles of this more "gashmiyusdik" type among the general community as it's a self-contained "out of town" frum area.

Also, Passaic's proximity to NYC (and other frum communities for those in klei kodesh) gives you more job opportunities; Baltimore's not nearly as well off economically as the NY/NJ metroplitan area. This translates directly to standard of living -- living in Baltimore is definitely cheaper, though the local economy is not as great and therefore salaries are lower as well (you will make less doing the same job in Baltimore than NY/NJ).

However, if you have anything against the "in-town" mentality, Baltimore obviously wins in that category. In Passaic, people are always going to Monsey/Brooklyn/Lakewood for various errands, while in Baltimore (though still easy travel distance to those same places) is, as I said before, more self-contained (though you always have Silver Spring nearby if you need to get away!).

Schools are good in both places, and you have a pretty similar choices in both. Any differences I'd point out would be minor, though if you have specific concerns please list them (FYI I dont have kids in school yet LOL).

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:00 pm
so it comes down to shuls aand schools- are there any friendly shuls that the rabbi actually gets to know everyone that starts at 8 or earlier on shabbos, none or minimal talking, has something for kids, is organized, that you can be involved in and the rabbi/president will be ok and hear you out if you have a difference of opinion with them.
In terms of schools- that the kids will learn to think for themselves, questioning is encouraged, is organized etc....

suzyq

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:12 pm
I have lived in both places. Baltimore is a MUCH bigger community than Passaic. The school selection in Baltimore is probably better/more open-minded than Passaic, BUT if you don't like Passaic schools, there are others to choose from in the region, whereas Baltimore is a little more self-contained.

As far as your shul question, I don't know many places that start before 8 on Shabbos, but I don't know the times for all the minyanim. Both places have wonderful, warm shuls with fantastic rabbis. I'm sure you could find what you are looking for in either place.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:13 pm
Im the amother from above -- I agree with suzq about shuls; you should find those things in both places. I mostly agree about schools too, though as I said, not enough experience as a parent in either place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating