Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Having new windows installed...what to expect?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:24 am
I am having new windows installed today by a supposedly very reliable window and door company. They said they would be here at 8 a.m. When we called at 9 they were still loading their truck Sad Now it's 10:30 a.m. and they're still not here. DH and I both took the day off from work to be around while they worked. We live in a very small house and are doing 12 windows, one large picture window and 11 singles. Do you think the job can completed in one day? That's what they told us when we signed the contract Sad It seemed possible if they actually arrived at 8 a.m., but now?????
Any other info you can provide? I feel like we are off to a bad start cuz we were up so early to get everything ready for them. Do you know if they install the windows from the outside, or do they need to carry the windows inside and install them from the front room/bedrooms? Help!

curlytop

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:25 am
When I replaced 10 windows, it took a couple of hours, and they installed them from the inside of the house.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:29 am
Thanx, Curlytop. Sounds good. I was getting a bit concerned/overwhelmed. The house is small and difficult to move around because we had to move alot of the furniture so they would have easy access to the windows, I.e., bookcases, night tables, etc.

acccdac

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:35 am
Our windows I think were done from outside with 1-2 guys inside.

The issue our windows had which took longer was that the spaces are very oddly shaped so we had custom windows but they still needed to be sealed.

We did it on a friday and it was finished before shabbos. Some windows were not completely sealed (from inside or out, they used 2 different methods) before shabbos though.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:30 am
My main concern is not to have to take off a second day of work. Also I don't want the job to be left in middle, like some windows taken out and the new ones left uninstalled with tarp overnight Sad

acccdac

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:48 am
They removed the old ones as they were putting in the new ones, at most there was 1 window removed without them working on it.

I think you should be fine.....have they shown up yet?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:51 pm
OP here. I cannot thank you all enough for your help and kind advice. I was so overwhelmed this morning regarding having new windows installed to begin with, and especially when the installers did not arrive on time. In the end they arrived at 12 noon and were out by 3. But it was all your helpful advice that encouraged me that all would work out well. Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics