Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana 5775/2014 menu
1  2  3  4  5  Next

mommee

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:11 pm
I usually look through the menu thread for inspiration and love to see the great ideas and recipes and menu plans people have. Very Happy I can't believe that I haven't seen a thread for this year yet. Did I miss it? If not-does anyone have ideas/menus ready and willing to share? Wink

Happy planning and may this coming year bring only good for klal yisroel!

Debbig

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:19 pm
Rosh hashana 2014

1st nite
Gefilta fish
Chicken soup
Chicken pastrami roll ups stuffed with kishka
Carrots

1st day
Smoked salmon
Cabbage soup
Lamb chops with root veg

2nd nite
Chicken soup
Sweet potato pastrami turnovers

2nd day
Cheese kreplach
Fried perch
Green beans with mini onions

Friday nite
Chicken soup
schnitzel
Kugel

Shabbos morning
Eggs
Chulent
Cold cuts

I did this yesterday. Now I feel like its half way done!!

mommee

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:33 pm
Your menu sounds delicious! You're right, planning is half the battle Smile Thanks for sharing.

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:13 pm
I'm only doing the two evening meals. (!st & 2nd night of Rosh Hashanah) Here's what I have so far for both nights:

First course: Challah, apple & honey, gefilte fish, chopped liver
Main course: Roast chicken, halishkes, tzimmes with pineapple chunks, salt and pepper lokshen kugel, steamed green beans or other token healthy vegetable, and probably meatballs for 2nd night in case my family will have demolished the halishkes
Dessert: My mom's apple cake, honey cake from Second Helpings, fresh fruit platter, and apple crumble
Drinks: Wine for kiddush, lots of diet soft drinks, unsweetened iced tea, hot tea, coffee

It's a very old-school menu, and there was a time when very few of the food items would be on my table. But in the three years since my mom (OBM) passed away, I feel compelled to make everything like she used to. Cool Cool

momX3

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:33 pm
"First course: Challah, apple & honey, gefilte fish, chopped liver "

I just wanted to point out if you are not aware that some people do not eat fish and meat together. I noticed that your first course contained both Fish and Liver. If the Liver is not Parave and you are having guests, you may want to make sure that they are okay with eating them together, or having them in the same course.

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:50 pm
Thanks, momx3, but it's going to be family at my table, so I know what (and how much!) they'll eat of everything. Very Happy

busydev

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:01 pm
I usually decide what to make and then decide what goes for what meal later on. I also try to make enough to freeze of a lot of the things (kugel, roast, chicken) and use for Simchas Torah and short winter shabbosim.

Challa

Pickled Salmon (with OJ instead of vinegar)
Gefilta Fish
Meatballs

Duck (had it for RH the past few years)
Roast
Kishka Chicken Wraps
Schnitzel

Apple Kugel
Carrot Kugel
_?_ Kugel

Green beans
Salads
Colorful Orzo
_?_

PB ice cream
Chocolate chip souffles
Cut fruit

deeygee

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:30 pm
can you post the recipe for this please?

Debbig

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:48 pm
Sauté
1 diced onion
3 T oil for 5 min
Add
2 C. Cubed sweet potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Cover and cook 5 min
Stir and test to make sure the potatoes are soft
Add 1 C. Pastrami cut in 1/2 inch cubes (I use sliced pastrami and cut it in small shreds)
2 T apricot jam
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
Sauté 1-2 min stirring till et is incorporated.

Fill puff pastry squares brush with egg and bake.

I don't leave a oven on for yom tov so I freeze them with the dough raw and then on yom tov I pan fry them.

Dipping sauce

1/2 C. Soy sauce
1/2 C. Sugar
1 clove crushed garlic
Cook 5-7 min
Add
1 tsp whiskey
Enjoy!!

momX3

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 5:01 pm
CatLady - I just wanted to clarify that my comment regarding fish and meat together was halachic/sakana related and not related to preference. If you want more info you may want to look at the Star-k.org website.

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 5:15 pm
momx3, your message came through loud and clear. However, I grew up eating chopped liver and gefilte fish together, and when you posted that some people do not eat meat and fish together, you were implying that other people do. I am one of those people, as are the family members who will be dining at my place. We cool?

Now, back to the topic: What are YOU making for the holidays? Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:04 pm
momX3 wrote:
CatLady - I just wanted to clarify that my comment regarding fish and meat together was halachic/sakana related and not related to preference. If you want more info you may want to look at the Star-k.org website.

I do agree with you on this point, but I just want to point out that M'Deiorisa, liver (and any intestines) is considered Parve. Maybe this is what she is relying on.

Either way, it is her problem not yours.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:10 am
I love making all the symbolic foods for Rosh Hashanah. This menu is a work in progress. I'm not sure which I will make for which days, or if I will actually make all of these or not. This is just sort of a brain-storm list:

Round raisin Challah

Salads:
Beet & Orange Salad (Lettuce, sliced cooked beets, grated carrots, sliced oranges)
Apple Harvest Salad (lettuce, apple slices, chopped dates, celery)
Pomegranate Salad (Lettuce, red onion, orange slices, pomegranate seeds)

Main Dishes:
Roasted Turkey (Hodu La Hashem Ki Tov) with Herbs & Spinach Stuffed inside
Pumpkin & Honey glazed turkey
Either Salmon or Chicken with Pomegranate sauce

Side Dishes:
TZIMMES ( my favorite!)
turkish leek latkes
Spaghetti Squash with leeks and mushrooms
Roasted winter squash with cinnamon
Beets with lemon sauce and almonds
Spinach with raisins and almonds
Roasted carrots with garlic & herbs
Spinach Leek Tart
Carrot Kugel

Desserts:
Pumpkin Pie
Honey cake
Apple & Honey cake
Pomegranate Baked apples or pears
Date-Nut cake
Date stuffed baked apples or pears
Carrot cake

The desserts list is obviously way too long. I'll have to choose 3 for Rosh Hashanah, and leave the others for later (Sukkot perhaps).

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:14 am
Please post the recipe for spinach leek tart. Sounds like something DH would love.

nottelling

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:29 am
Quote:

can you post this recipe? is there a dressing?

thank you!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 7:51 am
out-of-towner wrote:
I do agree with you on this point, but I just want to point out that M'Deiorisa, liver (and any intestines) is considered Parve. Maybe this is what she is relying on.

Either way, it is her problem not yours.

Mind blown.

Why?

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:21 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Mind blown.

Why?

Don't know, but I know that min HaTorah, liver is Parve! I guess maybe it is not considered Cheileiv, the fats? Don't know but I have heard this.

ETA I'm not sure about the status of other intestines, but I know for sure liver is not considered meat. I am not suggesting you cook it with Milchig or even in your Milchig pot, M'Drabannan it is considered Fleishig.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:58 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Please post the recipe for spinach leek tart. Sounds like something DH would love.

Spinach Leek Tart (adapted form Kosher by Design by Susie Fishbein, p. 205) makes 8 servings

Crust
one 17.5 oz pack of frozen puff pastry, thawed
or
you can use a pre-made quiche crust
or
Here is my recipe for a lower-fat quiche crust:
1 cup of flour (you can use half whole wheat + half all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs margarine such as smart balance or earth balance
1 egg
up to 3 tsp water, as needed
-- Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a med bowl. Cut in margarine. Mix in the egg. Mix well to make a dough. If it is too dry, add 1 tsp of water at a time, up to 3 tsp. The dough should not be sticky.

Filling
2 eggs, divided
2 Tbs oil
3 minced garlic cloves
2 shallots minced
4 oz or 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms
1 Tbs red wine (optional)
2 leeks, thinly sliced
one 10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
1/2 cup broth
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp lemon zest
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 Tbs)
salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400. Roll out the crust dough (or one sheet of puff pastry) into a 10" square. Place on a baking pan with parchment paper. Cut the other piece of puff pastry into 8 one-inch wide strips, and build a rim around the perimeter of the square using 2 strips on each side. If you're using your own crust, make it into a circle or square of about the same size. Brush with 1 egg. Prick the crust and bake empty for 7-10 minutes.

2. Saute the garlic and shallots in 1 Tbs oil on med heat, until soft, 3-4 min. Add mushrooms, continue cooking 7-8 min. Add the wine and stir up the browned bits from the pan. Add in 1 Tbs more oil, and the leeks. Saute 10 min, until soft. Then, add the spinach, broth, and cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Stir in rosemary, lemon zest, and juice, salt & pepper. Cool. You can make this ahead of time.

3. Beat 1 egg into the filling, then spread it into the crust. Bake 15 min at 400.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:02 pm
nottelling wrote:
Quote:

can you post this recipe? is there a dressing?

thank you!

I adapted this recipe from one on McCormick.com.

Spiced Pomegranate & Orange Salad

Dressing:
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbs wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp mustard powder
pinch black pepper
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Salad:
8 cups of chopped lettuce (any kind, baby spinach is also nice)
1 very small red onion, sliced thinly
3 oranges, sliced
6 Tbs pomegranate seeds
3/4 cup grated carrots

Last edited by Volunteer on Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Volunteer

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:10 pm
Someone also asked for these recipes:

Pomegranate Baked Apples/Pears 4 servings

4 baking apples or pears (you can peel them if you want to, I don't)
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 325.
2. Peel the pears or apples if desired, leaving them whole. Use a paring knife and melon baller to scoop the core out of the pears from the bottom (blossom) end, or scoop the core out of apples from the stem end. You can also cut the fruits in half lengthwise, and scoop out the cores that way. Place in a baking pan, cut side down.
3. Stir the pomegranate juice and sugar and lemon juice together, until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the fruit. Bake uncovered 45 minutes, until they are soft but not falling apart. BAste with the liquid a couple of times while they bake.
4. Take the fruit out of the baking pan, and pour the juice into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for a few minutes, until the liquid is syrupy. Pour the syrup over the fruit.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus