Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sending daughter abroad on a tight budget?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:23 pm
Though my daughter was born in Israel, she is very gentle and sensitive, unlike the typical Israeli. She just spent the summer in the U.S. and insists that she cannot go back to school in Israel. She's going into 11th grade.

The Israeli toughness is too much for her, both with friends and the faculty in school. She's in a charedi high school - one of the nicest ones we know - but anyone that knows how it works in "Seminar"s here, can understand how tough the teachers and staff are about anything that they consider a tiny breach in the way things are supposed to be.

I know that there are high schools with dorms in England and the U.S., but I'm sure that they cost an arm & a leg - especially when coming from an Israeli budget. Even a 50% scholarship would come out to be a lot for us.

For her sake, I told her that I would ask around if anyone knows of any options that could be considered. I'm almost afraid people will laugh at how unrealistic our max sum would be, but considering we're only paying 250 shekel a month in tuition, you can understand that 6X that would be our limit.

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:43 pm
My parents sent a DC to gateshead in england for 8th grade. My parents are far from wealthy and my sister said based on certain criteria's she thinks she paid the most tuition. If my mother complained about the food or lack of heat they resolved it. Saying that, I have no idea how much they paid on a "kollel type salary".

It never hurts to call and have a honest conversation.

Learning

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:35 pm
Aren't there high schools for Americans in Israel. I know that they have elementary schools that most of the kids parents are Americans.

naomi2

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:04 am
can she stay by a family in america and go to a local bais yaacov there?

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 2:24 am
Keep her in Israel and send her to an Israeli Chardal school in the Darom, specifically, the chardal Ulpana in Dimona, Neriya Tzvia. Your daughter will love it there, and it's a dorm, and its affordable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 2:39 am
Learning wrote:
Aren't there high schools for Americans in Israel. I know that they have elementary schools that most of the kids parents are Americans.
Just because most of the parents are american does not mean the childen are. And most is not all. Once children from families from anywhere go to school with children that are not from their home country, they usually integrate. Just saying. Does that makes sense?
And no, the only american school in israel is called the american school where mostly governmental delegates' children go there.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 2:51 am
I don't know of any high schools with dorms in England. (unless Gateshead does, as a previous poster said) Some of the seminaries might take 11th or 12th graders, not sure. But that's seminary, not high school.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:27 am
I know people who went to Gateshead in 11th grade.

Other than that, in the US your best bet would be if she could board by family or similar arrangement, and attend BY.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
I know people who went to Gateshead in 11th grade.

Other than that, in the US your best bet would be if she could board by family or similar arrangement, and attend BY.

Or you could send to a school in the UK (cheaper to get to from Israel, and possibly less expensive since some schools are state aided)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children