Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP! Mold on baby clothes!!!!

Batyah85

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:11 pm
I just sent my husband down to our cellar to bring up baby clothes, ergo carrier, carseat, blankets, etc. EVERYTHING IS DAMP AND MOLDY!Sad Apparently, all the rain we got this summer went right down to the spot where we stored the baby items in our cellar.

Is this stuff salvageable? Any tips for getting mold out of clothes/items? I was not planning on getting a new everything for baby- but of course- the baby needs to be safe and all the items mold free!

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:21 pm
I'd get rid of them. Mold spores can be toxic and can cause asthma. My SIL's baby got very sick when they lived in a moldy apartment, and the Dr. told them that her heightened allergies are directly connected to having lived in a moldy environment as a baby.
Don't play games with health.
If you have renter's insurance or home insurance, you may be able to make a claim.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:24 pm
I second what Debsey said. Also, I would have someone look into the mold in the basement. That can create BIG problems ch'v if left unaddressed!

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:26 pm
There are ways to wash out mold from clothing but you have to wash it really well.

Google it, I did it with my stroller liner once. I first rinsed it in boiling water with antibacterial spray. Then I washed it in my machine twice and then I scrubbed it with baking soda and rewashed it.

See if you can get a mold/mildew remover for clothes.

If it is REALLY bad I would chuck it but definitely try. Google will be your friend.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:09 pm
Wash the clothes in hot water with chlorine bleach. This will kill the mold even if it doesn't completely eradicate the stains.

Batyah85

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:27 pm
Thanks for your responses.

The verdict is: I tossed out everything that was beyond salvageable- incl my ergo carrier:(

Looks like some clothes are salvageable- everything got washed x2 in hot water with vinegar, baking soda, and detergent.

carseat stuff appears ok and the carseat jjcole came out ok too.

BH! Could be worst- I will call the pediatrican tomr just to be 100% sure I covered all my bases.

And yes, will get a professional to check to make sure there is no mold situation in my cellar.

Thanks all.

abs

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:31 pm
put the bleach in the washing machine and fill up with water before you put in the clothes. That should kill the mold without discoloring everything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics