Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How do you use cream cheese?

acemom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:23 pm
The other day we argued about the proper way to eat cream cheese. LOL

I consider it a cream, meaning spread, to be smeared on bread, crackers, etc. Except when I use it in a recipe like cheese cake or other dairy delectable, I eat it just like butter, peanut butter or other spread.

The other(s) considered it a regular part of the meal, like tuna salad or cottage cheese. They would pile their plate with cream cheese same as any other protein.

What is your opinion?

(I specifically looked for a forum that allows anonymous posting so feel free to chime in with your two cents everybody!)

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:12 pm
Maybe you should add a poll.

IMHO, cream cheese is a spread.

The only time I ever see people putting mounds of cream cheese on plates is at a bris when the platter of spreads already comes in mounds and you can't stand there spreading something on your bagel because of the crowd.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:15 pm
I don't eat cream cheese. When I did it was pretty much exclusively on bagels. Never in my life saw anyone just eat a mound of cream cheese as an entree or toss a brick of it into a salad for protein. Weird. To each their own.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:50 pm
I don't see why you should care about how someone else eats cream cheese, unless that person is your dh or dc and you are concerned about either the expense or the health consequences.

Be that as it may, let's look at some facts, as opposed to opinions. Cream cheese is a poor source of protein: you'd have to consume 3-1/2 ounces of cream cheese--350 calories worth!--to get the amount of protein in one ounce of tuna (30 calories) or 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese (45 calories) or 1 large egg (70 calories) or 1 slice of provolone cheese (98 calories) or even 2 tablespoons peanut butter (190 calories). It is therefore not really viable as a main course.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:35 pm
I don't know anyone who eats plain cream cheese, but I also don't know anyone who eats plain cottage cheese or tuna. All are for spreading.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:37 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I don't know anyone who eats plain cream cheese, but I also don't know anyone who eats plain cottage cheese or tuna. All are for spreading.

That might be weirder than eating a plate of cream cheese.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:43 pm
oliveoil wrote:

You gotta get out more, girl. Check out all the salad platters with a scoop of cottage cheese and/or an individual-size can of tuna on a bed of lettuce. How do you spread tuna, anyhow?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking