Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Supplies rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:46 pm
Every july I go to Target and stock up on school supplies. I get like 200 pencils, lots of glue sticks, boxes of crayons, folders, notebooks, spirals.... This way we the kids can take more when they run out of it. They give out the school supply list the first day of school. We usually take a trip to the local school supplies store and get all the fill ins then. Too bad they can't mail a detailed list a few weeks before school starts.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
My oldest is starting first grade tomorrow. The school said they sent out school lists by grade, but I never got it in the mail. I checked with a neighbor whose child will be in the same class and they hadn't received the list either. Luckily the mom works in the school, so she was able to get the list directly from the teacher and she shared it with me.

I'm just at the beginning of my second trimester and still feeling pretty lousy. For the first time ever I did all the school shopping online (thanks Amazon!) which ended up being really convenient and not any more expensive than going to the stores.

I was also annoyed by some of the quantities. My child does not need 8 glue sticks and 4 big erasers on the first day. Just the things that he does need ended up being so heavy that I'm worried about how he will manage to wear his backpack. I kept some of the extra stuff back to replenish as necessary.

What really got me was the request for $10 to be spent by the teacher on additional supplies. I've never heard of such a thing! If the teacher needs money for supplies, shouldn't the school supply that?! I'm also supposed to send in multiple boxes of tissues, wipes, and ziplock bags.

Ridiculous.

Our teacher also collects money, because she requests specific supplies, that she will pick out by herself. I personally don't argue with that because the choice is great and I am afraid to buy a wrong object.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 6:09 pm
What's with the communal class supplies? I bought special items for my child and I want him to be used by my child. It's one thing to ask for tissues. Sometimes you don't know you will have allergies that morning.
Soap should be provided by the school. If there is a sink, there should be a built in dispenser. But taking all the carefully picked out supplies tha makes my kid excited the first day- given to someone else?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 6:28 pm
debsey wrote:
1) ITA!
2) What really makes me furious is when I go to twelve stores to find something and then it ISN'T USED.
Look, if the teacher has a special system where they use flashcards stored on a ring binder clip, and it is used daily, FINE. It's worth the time and effort. But if I hunted down this elusive, hard to find item, and then they don't use it, that really upsets me!
3) I found that exact item non-spiral, perforated composition book - in Staples. JIC you're still looking........

Thanks, I found the notebook in Walmart. It just seems really random, why not a spiral perforated notebook? And when they don't use something on the list, or use just a few pages, for a few pages let them put it in their fat 3 inch looseleaf! My daughter was going through her supply box from last year, picks up a protractor and says, "what's this for?" She had it the whole year, and never used it, didn't even know what it was!!

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 6:36 pm
my daughter's list came home in yiddish... I have to go decode it but I was able to see a box of 24 crayons and a smock. I sent her smock from last year with my son today so she will get a new one. Now her shabbos party list came with a checkmark next to '16 bags'.... I'm just going to send in a box of Glad gallon bags because I really have no clue what the teacher wants.

UQT

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:13 pm
Some teachers are worse than others. My daughter, bless her soul, thought she was in 2A and we bought all the supplies needed for 2A, only to realize at a later time that we are in 2B, which had a much smaller list. I had the receipt and today made the return to Target of all the extras stuff and earned back $38. I love her teacher already.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:19 pm
My daughter has and old zippered looseleaf with many pockets that I bought years ago for my oldest in Amazing Savings. It has gotten so many years of use already and they all love it. Well, today her teacher told her it's too bulky, she needs to get a regular looseleaf. Why would that bother her???? It's just frustrating.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:24 pm
anyone knows where to get alphabet index card dividers???

animeme

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:45 pm
Alphabet index card dividers- go to Staples. Bring something to read; the lines are crazy right now. But they shoul actually have it, because they restock whn they run out. Or an Office Depot, if you have one. Or Amazon...

Sherri

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:21 pm
What's the story with the tissues? Divvied up?

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:07 am
what are those weird things kids use to draw circles with?

it has a point and you extend the pencil holder part to make different size circles.

we always seem to be buying them

bigsis144

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:09 am
causemommysaid wrote:
what are those weird things kids use to draw circles with?

it has a point and you extend the pencil holder part to make different size circles.

we always seem to be buying them

A compass? I only ever used one in 10th grade geometry. It was cool constructing angles, bisecting line segments, etc.

Barbara

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:43 am
Sherri wrote:
What's the story with the tissues? Divvied up?

Classroom. Kids go through a lot of tissues.

The one thing I wish lower schools would do is one year, have every family donate $3, and but a decent classroom pencil sharpener. Forget those little plastic pieces of junk that don't do much other than destroy pencils.

kb

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:54 am
No school supply lists yet over here (kids too little) but I have so many wonderful memories of going to for different styles until we found the college ruled four subject notebook, unruled non spiral, and the eight pocket folder...

Shopping for school supplies was always so exciting! We used to each take our list and pick out all our supplies. I really enjoyed it, and was sorry when I started high school and didn't need to go school supply shopping anymore.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
Our teacher also collects money, because she requests specific supplies, that she will pick out by herself. I personally don't argue with that because the choice is great and I am afraid to buy a wrong object.

I'm the amother you quoted.

I wouldn't have minded paying a set fee and having the teacher or school provide all the supplies. Actually, I would have loved that.

In this case, there was a whole long list of notebooks (2 composition, 1 steno, and a 1 subject), folders (5 different colors in hard plastic and 1 envelope style), crayons (2 boxes), markers (thick and thin), erasers, glue sticks (8), scissors (2 pairs), pencils (30!), pencil case, index card box, pencil sharpener, and a couple of other things that I'm forgetting at the moment. So the additional $10 seemed excessive.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:59 am
depending on tuition I may or not go along with more weird demands
also if I don't find it, I don't find it

Happy18

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:36 am
glutenless wrote:
My daughter has and old zippered looseleaf with many pockets that I bought years ago for my oldest in Amazing Savings. It has gotten so many years of use already and they all love it. Well, today her teacher told her it's too bulky, she needs to get a regular looseleaf. Why would that bother her???? It's just frustrating.

Do they keep their supplies in their desks? If they they probably take up more space than a regular one.

KeepCalm

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:05 am
We had a teacher who insisted on all of us getting 8 tennis balls for the chairs and desks because when we moved the desk it 'gave her a headache'.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:23 am
Happy18 wrote:
Do they keep their supplies in their desks? If they they probably take up more space than a regular one.

They keep stuff in their desk, have cubbies and still need crates under their desk to be able to hold everything. With all that space, it shouldn't be a problem.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:27 am
Barbara wrote:
Classroom. Kids go through a lot of tissues.

The one thing I wish lower schools would do is one year, have every family donate $3, and but a decent classroom pencil sharpener. Forget those little plastic pieces of junk that don't do much other than destroy pencils.

... Or the little metal ones that actually work, but get lost the next day.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics