Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you try drugs? (marijuana)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:19 am
mille wrote:
You think drinking alcohol is not accepted in the orthodox Jewish world? Have you never seen men at a simcha ever?

Yes, sadly I've seen it. And you think people approve? No, they may feel impotent to criticize but that's another problem.

mille

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:48 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes, sadly I've seen it. And you think people approve? No, they may feel impotent to criticize but that's another problem.

I disagree that the MAJORITY of orthodox jews are specifically against drinking alcohol in any capacity, especially at a simcha or yom tov.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:23 pm
mille wrote:
I disagree that the MAJORITY of orthodox jews are specifically against drinking alcohol in any capacity, especially at a simcha or yom tov.

Sure, there's some acceptable if not legitimate level of drinking. If done right on a yom tov it's actually a mitzvah.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 8:19 am
Quite surprised by some of the "liberal" responses here -

I went to a non Jewish school (I'm a baal teshuva), and policies were very strict on smoking and drugs. Caught doing drugs or smoking = smoking = suspension, drugs = expulsion.

No way around it. Many talks and "sermons" were held on these subjects. By and large, most girls didn't engage in either, though of course you get the odd rebellious types, but the majority of girls didn't. This was not a religious school, just a normal, academic , liberal school.

I wonder is it more ok to smoke and do drugs in religious, frum schools? Because I do hear and see a lot of youngsters doing it.. smoking etc quite openly? why is that? Maybe it's covered up in schools so sparks more of an interest? Would it be more tolerated in a religious school or do they not learn of health dangers?

As for alchohol, my mum and dad enjoyed and still do enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner sometimes and it was just part of "normal" life. Nothing to do with getting drunk , just very normal part of having a meal. By the time I was about 18 they always poured me a glass of wine too. No big deal. I'm not an alcoholic, don't drink that much, maybe once a week something like that, a glass with dinner and on Shabbat. Never get drunk or intend to. Same for dh. Nothing wrong with alcohol in Judaism - must be in moderation though. Can have a glass to enjoy or relax just no getting drunk. Simple.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 8:54 am
I wish -

I tried weed once, and had a crazy headspin, I would love to do it more, because I need to chill and escape.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 12:31 pm
not surprised that some frum people have tried or even used regularly
But way surprised at the many very liberal opinions here, often more liberal than the non Jews I grew up around. And not only on drugs.

Halachically, more and more rabbis ban even cigs, arguing on whether it is doraita or "only" derabbanan... and certainly drugs.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 3:26 pm
The gematria of עשן (smoke) is 420

mille

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 5:37 pm
I would like to YET AGAIN point out that OP's hypothetical situation is in a place in which marijuana is LEGAL. It is illegal almost everywhere, so it makes sense why many people would have never partaken or been reluctant to partake. If you are asking would anyone try marijuana in, say, NYC, the answer for most will be a resounding no. I think legality plays a big role in this, and it's the particular context that is leading to such responses, I am convinced.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 6:18 pm
Much too risky can be the beginning of trying the dangerous ones

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:
Much too risky can be the beginning of trying the dangerous ones

marijuana being a "gateway" drug is a theory that's been disproven time and again.

I'm not saying you should or should not use it, but know the facts beforehand.

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 6:53 pm
I don't do weed or other "recreational" drugs, not (just) because they're illegal but because I'm not remotely interested. I fail to see the attraction. (FTR I also don't drink, smoke, or bungee-jump, failing to see the attraction there, either.)

amother

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:13 pm
mille wrote:

Come to our shul kiddish and then tell me the majority are against it. The men from our shul and others get all happied up there. They are not against it at sudars or simchas on the men's side. Forget Purim. It is a drunk's paradise.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:33 am
amother wrote:
Come to our shul kiddish and then tell me the majority are against it. The men from our shul and others get all happied up there. They are not against it at sudars or simchas on the men's side. Forget Purim. It is a drunk's paradise.

No one staggers home from the kiddush at my shul, but there is always one bottle of harder stuff at the early kiddush and sometimes at the main minyan. Not everyone drinks from it (and some people take grape juice instead of wine). Somewhere between the tee-totaling section of paradise and the drunk section there possibly is an intermediate section. The same might apply to the original question as well.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:20 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
marijuana being a "gateway" drug is a theory that's been disproven time and again.

I'm not saying you should or should not use it, but know the facts beforehand.

schools still teach this.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:45 am
amother wrote:

What are sudars?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:06 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
What are sudars?

I thought she meant seders.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:20 am
imasoftov wrote:
No one staggers home from the kiddush at my shul, but there is always one bottle of harder stuff at the early kiddush and sometimes at the main minyan. Not everyone drinks from it (and some people take grape juice instead of wine). Somewhere between the tee-totaling section of paradise and the drunk section there possibly is an intermediate section. The same might apply to the original question as well.

It could be. It might be 20% drink 80%. I don't know what goes on in the men's section. I only see the after effects. It isn't true that orthodox are not hard drinkers. Some clearly are.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:32 am
amother wrote:
It could be. It might be 20% drink 80%. I don't know what goes on in the men's section. I only see the after effects. It isn't true that orthodox are not hard drinkers. Some clearly are.

We do not separate the men and women at kiddush in my shul so I see what happens. Sometimes I have some myself and I'm not alone. And "hard drinkers" is not the same as drinking small quantities of hard (distilled) alcohol.

I am trying to carve out a place between total abstinence and alcohol abuse. Sometimes it feels like I'm doing it in a forest, equipped only with a butter knife.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:45 am
amother wrote:
I wish -

I tried weed once, and had a crazy headspin, I would love to do it more, because I need to chill and escape.

Aw, amother, just get high on life!
Twisted Evil
Seriously, Hug and I wish you that the coming year, and the end of this one, bring you bracha and dramatic reduction of your stress levels.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:56 am
imasoftov wrote:
We do not separate the men and women at kiddush in my shul so I see what happens. Sometimes I have some myself and I'm not alone. And "hard drinkers" is not the same as drinking small quantities of hard (distilled) alcohol.

I am trying to carve out a place between total abstinence and alcohol abuse. Sometimes it feels like I'm doing it in a forest, equipped only with a butter knife.

The drinking is hard drinking. The men drink until the bottles are finished. My Rabbi removes bottles from kiddish sometimes because the men can get stupid sloppy drunk. How is Purim in your community?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics