Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BD"E Joan Rivers
1  2  3  Next

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:18 pm
A very funny, feisty lady.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20.....t-81/

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:20 pm
is she the one who had that show where she poked fun at celebrity clothes and stuff? Then, also a very offensive and mean lady. I don't know why people suddenly become saints when they die.

RIP.

Last edited by Maya on Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

scrltfr

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:21 pm
I was lucky enough to see her live a few months ago. My heart goes out to her daughter. Baruch dayan haemet.

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:31 pm
Maya wrote:
is she the one who had that show where she poked fun at celebrity clothes and stuff? Then, also a very offensive and mean lady. I don't know why people suddenly become saints when they die.

RIP.

Like you, I often found her humor to be mean-spirited. There is no doubt, however, that she was a loving and devoted mother and grandmother. (And the episode of her reality show where she decided to start making Shabbat dinner is must-see TV.)

BDE. My heart goes out to her beloved daughter and grandson.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:40 pm
She was one of the first celebrities to speak out for EY in the recent conflict, and she made a difference in that regard.

Very few can leave this planet without having done both good and harm. Our tradition is to remember the good.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:45 pm
imasinger wrote:
She was one of the first celebrities to speak out for EY in the recent conflict, and she made a difference in that regard.

Very few can leave this planet without having done both good and harm. Our tradition is to remember the good.

That's true.

freidasima

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:57 pm
Yes she spoke out blatantly and loudly for EY during this last war.

Yesh hakonim olamam bisha'aa achas....

BDE to a great oheves yisroel. Condolences to her daughter and family.

She may not have been a religious Jew but in certain things she was a good Jew.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:16 pm
Whilst sometimes nasty she was definitely funny.

Bde.

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:18 pm
if anyone can find a link to a video of the Shabbat dinner, please post.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:36 pm
freidasima wrote:
Yes she spoke out blatantly and loudly for EY during this last war.

Yesh hakonim olamam bisha'aa achas....

BDE to a great oheves yisroel. Condolences to her daughter and family.

She may not have been a religious Jew but in certain things she was a good Jew.

I can't tell you how much chizuk I personally got from watching the clips of her outspokenness about the recent war, so much so that I watched them multiple times when I was in a funk.

Also, I love what imasinger said.

BD"E and my condolences to her family.

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:01 pm
Here's the link of her rant about Israel. That's her best epitah!

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....52097

TMZ: What about the civilian casualties
JR: Well don't put your GD weapons in private homes! You're all insane.......
TMZ: Selena Gomez just tweeted a pro-Palestinian tweet
JR: Oh, Selena Gomez? THAT college grad. Can she even spell Palestinian?

SO great that she said it like it is at the very end of her life!

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:08 pm
People can "say it like it is" in a nicer way than just insulting everybody who crosses their path. She said something great about Israel in the same breath as she denigrated someone else. What's so wonderful about that?

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:19 pm
Maya wrote:
People can "say it like it is" in a nicer way than just insulting everybody who crosses their path. She said something great about Israel in the same breath as she denigrated someone else. What's so wonderful about that?

because when you have all these "college grads" denigrating Israel based on the fact that they look cute and can "get low" - teenagers and young adults just imbibe their opinion. And who exactly are they to opine on these things.
Kids that look a lot like you and me (and not too much like Selena Gomez) are dying in Israel. We don't want the tide of popular support to turn against us.
Alec Baldwin, the Pink Floyd guy, Selena Gomez - so many people are using their celebrity to attack Israel. It's now "cool"
She didn't insult Selena Gomez gratuitously. She said - c'mon honey, you're hardly a foreign policy expert.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:24 pm
debsey wrote:
because when you have all these "college grads" denigrating Israel based on the fact that they look cute and can "get low" - teenagers and young adults just imbibe their opinion. And who exactly are they to opine on these things.
Kids that look a lot like you and me (and not too much like Selena Gomez) are dying in Israel. We don't want the tide of popular support to turn against us.
Alec Baldwin, the Pink Floyd guy, Selena Gomez - so many people are using their celebrity to attack Israel. It's now "cool"
She didn't insult Selena Gomez gratuitously. She said - c'mon honey, you're hardly a foreign policy expert.

To use a very tired cliche, two wrongs don't make a right. She implied that Selena Gomez was dumb and stupid.

Just like she had a right to defend Israel, so did Selena Gomez have a right to defend whomever SHE wanted to. While I vehemently disagree with Palestinian sympathizers and don't get their mindset at all, insulting them on my behalf is just as wrong.

So my question is, why the glory parade for a woman whose entire career revolved around making mean comments about other people? Just because she said something nice about Israel?

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:33 pm
Maya wrote:
To use a very tired cliche, two wrongs don't make a right.

Just like she had a right to defend Israel, so did Selena Gomez have a right to defend whomever SHE wanted to. While I vehemently disagree with Palestinian sympathizers and don't get their mindset at all, insulting them on my behalf is just as wrong.

So my question is, why the glory parade for a woman whose entire career revolved around making mean comments about other people? Just because she said something nice about Israel?

Hey, I'm certainly not validating her career path. Being paid professionally to be catty isn't my idea of a great job description. (sometimes, I admit, I do it for free embarrassed but I try not to)
However, I think that without being sarcastic and passionate, the clip wouldn't have gotten attention. And I share her anger with Selena Gomez and all the other armchair liberals who sound off without knowing anything.
Sure, Selena Gomez has the right to say anything she wants - but having a public forum means you shouldn't just talk off the top of your head. And if you do, and you get attacked, oh, well......

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:37 pm
Quote:
Sure, Selena Gomez has the right to say anything she wants - but having a public forum means you shouldn't just talk off the top of your head. And if you do, and you get attacked, oh, well......

Still, the attacker doesn't deserve credit for attacking. That's my point.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:38 pm
To each their own. She was a comedienne for 50 years and has plenty of good material besides fashion police. I think she was hilarious. BDE.

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:47 pm
Maya wrote:
Quote:

Still, the attacker doesn't deserve credit for attacking. That's my point.

She deserves credit for defending Israel. She could have said "oh, Israel is not "cool" right now, I don't want to lose some street cred by defending it, so I won't speak out." No, she said what she thought, and that takes courage, particularly if it's a minority opinion.
(and defense of Israel is pretty much a minority opinion these days......)

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:50 pm
I dont know much about her or her humor.

the only thing I know is that she was a big defender of Israel when we needed it the most. the rest of the media and celebrities were ripping Israel to shreds.

I will remember her for that.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:51 pm
debsey wrote:
She deserves credit for defending Israel. She could have said "oh, Israel is not "cool" right now, I don't want to lose some street cred by defending it, so I won't speak out." No, she said what she thought, and that takes courage, particularly if it's a minority opinion.
(and defense of Israel is pretty much a minority opinion these days......)

She could have just as well defended Israel without telling everyone else that they're insane, and without insulting Selena Gomez in the process.

While trying to do something right, she also did something wrong personally to someone else. If she's going to be lauded for doing the right thing, she should also be criticized for being mean in that same process.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics