Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are you constantly cleaning?
1  2  Next

wife2

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:13 pm
every day, all day, I am picking up toys, clothes, doing dishes, wiping surfaces (sink, stovetop, counters, highchair, DR table, etc), sweeping, washing floor, throwing things in the garbage. I walk from room to room putting things in their places. My almost 2 year old takes things out of the kitchen cabinets (pots, oven mitts, cutlery) and leaves them all over. My kids are too little to clean up after themselves. I am always putting away books on the shelf, toys in the toy bin, and putting things back in their room. My toddler drags her pillow to the couch, I put it back in her bed. The only way to stay on top of it is to always clean. If I wait until the end of the day, it is a disaster. I need to clean every night - if I skip one or 2 days, then everything is a wreck. How do you all do it?
Do you have a method or system?
I am NOT talking about heavy cleaning/scrubbing. I am talking about putting basic things in their places, dishes, clothes, toys, and the like.

kb

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:18 pm
when my first was almost 2, he used to automatically clean up his toys every night before he went to sleep. You might need to help him, but almost 2 year olds CAN clean up.

His brother now, also almost 2, will happily wipe the table, walls, etc. with baby wipes after he messes them up (either with food, or crayons, respectively.) And last shabbos when I wanted them to just Go To Sleep and was prepared to forget about the nightly cleanup, he pointed to the toys and would not go to his crib until we cleaned up!

If he takes his pillow onto the couch, he takes it back. If he doesn't, he loses his pillow for the rest of the day.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:28 pm
my house is a mess. Sad
sorry, no advise, just keep doing what you're doing...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
my house is a mess. Sad
sorry, no advise, just keep doing what you're doing...

That makes two of us! You are not alone! My house is a disorganized wreck!

But you know what? My physical health and mental sanity come first!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:33 pm
Are you kidding me? When the kids are home I clean all day long. Otherwise I would be up a half night organizing the house.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:51 pm
Sometimes I feel like I spend all day cleaning. But mostly I think I am just more lax than you. I simply don't CARE if certain things are piled up at the end of the day, I'd still rather just do it all in one big load than spend my whole life cleaning. At some point it reaches such critical mass that I need olympian strength to take care of it, which is why I need a medal Wink

Put a lock on your kitchen cabinet and put some of the toys out of reach to limit the amount they can scatter around in a given day.

Stop wiping things so much. Honestly, who cares if the crumbs/grease on your stovetop are one day old or five?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:54 pm
My boys are five and seven, big enough to clean and not make such a big mess to begin with, but I am cleaning all day anyway. Then after they go to sleep I'm cleaning again, even so, my house is never completely neat or clean.

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:08 pm
My kids are all highly energetic and creative (read: deviously curious) and I'm tired because I'm not getting sleep because of the baby.
They are climbing the walls (literally) and I've no energy to clean walls daily.
They like to cut papers to shreds to see how small is too small to cut anymore, and forget to clean up.
They like to see what happens to the toilet paper when the end of the roll is flushed, or if they can take a bath in the sink - with their clothes on, or play a fashion show with all the clean clothes.
Or stuff crayons in places I can't reach or even try to get out.
Or.... the list is endless!

I really DO have a organizational system, but don't have energy to implement it. Nor energy to discipline.
One day, I'll wake up refreshed and decide to clean everything, only to see it needed again by the next day.

But, I bet I'll miss the mess when they grow up and move out.

kb

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:28 pm
My house is by FAR not always clean. But at least for my kids, it's a treat to vacuum. And sweep! So while they definitely don't do as thorough a job as I do, they have the energy to do it Smile So I take advantage once in a while.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:37 am
Not at all. I need energy for kids, husband, LIFE

rachel91

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:53 am
No, I'm not always cleaning...dishes once a day, swiping table twice a day, throwing things into the garbage whenever there is, laundry only on Sundays and Mondays (in the usual circumstances), wiping surfaces whenever there is what to wipe, same with swiping the floor etc...thorough clean once a week by cleaning lady.
I have 2 small kids.

KeepCalm

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:33 am
You should check out flylady.net if you want to start a routine. She makes it almost easy...

KeepCalm

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:34 am
Plus you'll probably get better replies/ideas (if that's what you're looking for) than here.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:16 am
You mentioned throwing away garbage; I hope you have a garbage receptacle in every room, that makes it a lot easier.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:46 am
I could be cleaning all day, but I make a conscious effort to restrict it to set times. Straighten bedrooms in the morning and before bed. Clean up from meals after each meal. Clean up toys before leaving the house, or if there is so much out that it's interfering with play. Room to room straightening up only when kids are in bed for the night. Clean floors once a day besides bad spills. Etc.

mandr

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 11:36 am
I have a 10.5 month old baby and I also feel like I'm always cleaning. In the morning before I leave work I try to put all the toys back on the mat in the corner (we have the toybox there). But I always need distractions for him, like while I change his diaper, so I just hand him random stuff. After he goes to sleep I really clean up the toys, wash and sanitize the high chair, do the dishes (if dh doesn't) and clean up the kitchen. Two nights ago I spent TWO hours just putting stuff away and I don't have a large apartment or that many occupants!

busydev

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:55 pm
no I dont.

im not home all day tho and will not spend the 3-4 hours I home with the kids cleaning. We clean up the toys 2 times a week (if they are a tripping hazard before those 2 times then we just throw them in an extra laundry basket). dishes are washed each night. beds shmeds- make them before you go to sleep. no ones home to see them messy either way. every night basic clean up is done in a diff room (10-15 min tops) and for shabbos the whole house is clean. (for about 2 minutes-esp now that shabbos is getting earlier.) Spills are cleaned up when they happen. and the cleaning lady comes every other week to give the whole house a good washing down (like the stove and the whole bathroom and all the floors)

my "standards" are probably lower then alot of you on this thread. but im sure there are others out there that are similar enough.

penguin

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:59 pm
Song For a Fith Child, by Ruth Hamilton. 1958

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
and out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
but I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

sped

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 6:00 pm
seeker wrote:
You mentioned throwing away garbage; I hope you have a garbage receptacle in every room, that makes it a lot easier.

My almost 2 yo would love that! Some more garbage cans to rummage through!

I am working on cleaning up toys more. I put them in another room and try to keep to one toy "with pieces" at a time. (I can't say I am always successful.) I try to make cleanup part of play. We will do things like "shopping for Shabbos"- the lego is carrots, fish, challah, etc. Or the toy container is a mixer and the toys are cake ingredients.
In general, though, my standards are way below what I would like them to be... B"H for good reasons.

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:35 pm
Mommastuff wrote:

But, I bet I'll miss the mess when they grow up and move out.

That you will. Take it from one who knows.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry