Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are you constantly cleaning?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:42 pm
KeepCalm wrote:
You should check out flylady.net if you want to start a routine. She makes it almost easy...

I beg to differ. Davka when I tried FL, I was cleaning all the time. But ALL the time. I felt like a drudge and my house didn't look any better.

zigi

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:10 pm
some things take up keep. not only by you but everyone in the family.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:32 pm
When dealing with toddlers, the less stuff around the easier for you it will be to keep up!
When my kiddos were around that age I cleared out the bottom most accessible shelf in the kitchen and put like 2 old pots in there for them to play with,,,,the other 20 pots and pans were placed in a higher unreachable shelf.

We owned 3 tubs of toys and no more than that, games way up high in the closet. If a pillow or blanket found its way the the living room no big deal...atleast I did not have to clean up 2000 toys or tupperware off the floors.

Move your books to higher places.

Less stuff=less cleaning Smile

eschaya

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 11:11 pm
Yup,all day. I sweep at least twice a day, am putting things away as I walk from room to room, picking up after the baby (ie: pots from the cabinet, milk spills, crayon on counter).
One thing that is either a great or a terrible idea is that our basement is our playroom, where the legos and small toys reside. And it is a huge disaster. But I don't see it, and neither do guests, so I am not inclined to clean it all the time. And while my kids are old enough to do some cleaning, they truly cannot handle the basement. When I had more time I (together with them) would clean it once a week. Now that happens much less. But no one sees it other than the kids and their friends. So I ignore it.

granolamom

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 11:31 pm
I try to keep a very tidy house, my mental health depends on it. when my kids were smaller I'd have specific clean up routines, dishes and kitchen clean up after each meal. toy pick up before snack and before bed. every sunday I'd fill at least one large bag with random clutter to be thrown away. I limit the amount of toys we have and we used to keep all the toys in the playroom, none save for one or two 'lovies' in the bedrooms. I'd have a crate or basket for toys to bring into whichever room I was working in (my kids never used to play alone) and when we'd leave that room I'd pick them all up and return them to the playroom.
now that the kids are slightly older, its both easier and harder. I have more shoes lying all over the house and the bathrooms need more frequent cleaning, but the kids can and do help more. they also have more projects that they dont want dissembled and that drives me crazy but I do recognize that its good for them so I grit my teeth and tolerate things like a web of wire hangers stretching from one end of the guest room to the other, or a pulley system draped across the playroom (which is what they are working on right now when they should be in bed). we do a full house clean up on sundays, tuesdays and thursdays. sunday and tuesday it takes me about 2 hrs, thursday I have a cleaning lady. maintenance is key, so much quicker to keep things clean than to clean up a wreck.
but its also important not to let the cleaning take over your life. I know I clean alot more than many people but if my house is a mess I literally cannot think clearly, so its a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:34 am
kb wrote:
when my first was almost 2, he used to automatically clean up his toys every night before he went to sleep. You might need to help him, but almost 2 year olds CAN clean up.

His brother now, also almost 2, will happily wipe the table, walls, etc. with baby wipes after he messes them up (either with food, or crayons, respectively.) And last shabbos when I wanted them to just Go To Sleep and was prepared to forget about the nightly cleanup, he pointed to the toys and would not go to his crib until we cleaned up!

If he takes his pillow onto the couch, he takes it back. If he doesn't, he loses his pillow for the rest of the day.

At what age did you start this? Is it crazy to want to do "cleanup time" before they are 1?

gold21

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:45 am
I do clean a lot, but not all day, cuz I don't want to. I'd rather some mess than cleaning all day. Try it sometime. Wink

kb

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:23 am
amother wrote:
At what age did you start this? Is it crazy to want to do "cleanup time" before they are 1?

I don't think a kid under 1 would be able to help, but if you're going till clean up anyway, why not let her see? She'll get it and start helping when she can. (My son was bringing laundry to the washing machine from about the age that he could walk. Not necessarily a real help, but good for them nevertheless.) I don't remember when he started cleaning up toys.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry