Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Where are you from?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

soproud

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 8:31 pm
I'm not a big commenter here but anyway...
I'm from Crown Heights, now living in Australia. Been Lubavitch all my life but not uber-machmir as my parents and a lot more Zionist. Never tried any substances or smoking and plan to keep it that way.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in NYC, went to private non Jewish schools. My parents were super strict and did not understand the permissive mindset among my parents' friends. I had the earliest curfew, no allowance, always had to work, etc and even so I got myself into a fair amount of trouble in high school.

I became frum just after college, met my DH, who is from a very traditional background and was also becoming more religious and we got married. We understand each other because we both had rebellious teen years, despite both coming from strict households. Our parents worried a lot about us and are relieved that we are so "boring" now.

We both smoked a LOT of pot from high school through college and then got bored of it. We both excelled academically anyway. We don't smoke anymore but I do miss it sometimes. I never liked drinking very much nor did I ever get into "real" drugs - too icky.

For what it's worth, I know quite a few people in my MO community and several other MO communities who still smoke sometimes motzei Shabbos or after the kids are asleep. There are a lot of people like that, but it's really not discussed unless they think you might be like that too Wink I don't give out that vibe anymore (I come off as much more aidel maidel than I am, which is fine with me), but maybe my DH does, so sometimes we hear about it. I don't judge anyone who still smokes because frankly life is stressful and it does take the edge off...its just not for me anymore.

Another mo poster. I definitely dispute the "a lot". Maybe a small minority of mo adults with children are doing this. Having an alcoholic drink is way more standard.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:40 pm
I was born in Toronto, but my family moved to NY when I was a toddler. I grew up in Queens. I went to BYQ for elementary school, but my family identifies more MO. I went to an MO all girls high school and then to Michlala for seminary. I went to an Ivy League university with a large frum population. I was shomer negiah until marriage, which I'm mentioning to dispel some stereotypes.

I've never smoked anything in my life - that includes pot, cigarettes, and even meat. I've never been drunk either, but I will drink an occasional half glass of wine on shabbos or a little chocolate flavored liqueur in my hot chocolate at night if I have trouble sleeping.

I currently live on Long Island.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:28 am
Chicago > Omaha > Dallas > Queens > Baltimore. I started off conservative, went to Solomon Schechter and I can lein! Ncsy brought me closer, and camp Moshava even closer. I guess I was JPF. Then I got divorced, remarried a Breslover Chassid. Never smoked anything, not even the candy gum cigarettes. I have lost too many people to lung cancer, my mother included

Anon because its so specific!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:10 am
I'm puzzled more charedim on this forum than non jews around me have tried drugs (not talking cigs and alcohol)

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:47 am
Baltimore.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:56 am
giyores here, grew up in France and NY, went to public schools. Never smoked anything , no drugs, no alcohol, nothing. Was a really really good kid.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:58 am
Baltimore amother here. Just read OP. oops. Never smoked or did drugs. Do listen to rock and roll.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
giyores here, grew up in France and NY, went to public schools. Never smoked anything , no drugs, no alcohol, nothing. Was a really really good kid.

hey frenchy Heart

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:21 am
Born in NYC, moved to Monsey as a toddler and grew up here. Parents are yeshivish/litvish BT professionals who sent me to chassidisher schools. Married dh from Boro Park, raised more heimish but is litvish. I'd classify us now as American Yeshivish, and send our kids to such schools.
Neither I, nor dh, have even tried drugs and don't plan to. In fact, none of my friends or siblings have either. Most I've tried is a cuban cigar Wink and it was utterly nasty!
Surprised at how many people on here have tried drugs! shock

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:41 am
Born and raised in Monsey. Living here all my life. Very regular. I don't need drugs when I have an intoxicating baby.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:45 am
Everyone who knows me knows where I am from.
Never tried drugs, never been drunk though I do like a bit of alcohol to take away the pain every so often.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 11:34 am
England is looking a little left out here so I think I'll add my two pennies!
Born in Golders Green London, as were my parents, as are my daughters..
We are standard orthodox, I don't do drugs (although my husband has smoked weed occasionally) and am not tempted in the slightest. And I don't wear short sleeves!
My daughters go to the same school as me and my parents went to.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 11:35 am
Actually, just curious, I'm the poster above. Can you like this post if you are reading it from GG?

gittelchana

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
England is looking a little left out here so I think I'll add my two pennies!
Born in Golders Green London, as were my parents, as are my daughters..
We are standard orthodox, I don't do drugs (although my husband has smoked weed occasionally) and am not tempted in the slightest. And I don't wear short sleeves!
My daughters go to the same school as me and my parents went to.

You mean pence. LOL

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, and I never tried ... or controlled substances of any kind.

You never took Tylenol #3 or Percacet after childbirth or surgery? Both are controlled substances.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 7:32 am
made aliya from flatbush as a preteen. got messed up, got fixed up. went to 30 guzillion different schools.
today I am considered chareidi but a bit out of the box. but I more or less fit the bill.
hmmm... the huge scarf on my head doesn't fit in.... oh well
the only narrcotics I used was my epidural. and I didn't ask a shaila....
am anon cuz if anybody here knows me this post will give me away Smile

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:31 am
rainbow dash wrote:
Born in New Zealand grew up in Australia and Israel. Now living in Antwerp. Became BT at 15. Now litvesh.

Never did drugs etc. Grew up on the say no to drugs campaign. Did try a smoke here and there.and I don't drink.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:42 am
I was born in a crossfire hurricane and I howled at my ma in the driving rain. But it's all right. In fact it's a gas.

Accurate version: I was born in a snowstorm, and I was a gassy baby.

I grew up to be MO. My family ranges from MO to culturally Jewish.

As for weed, I smoked up twice and didn't like it. I did, however, enjoy the munchies. In fact, I still get them years later.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:53 am
Apart from whatever drugs they gave me post partum after my first kid was born (awful delivery, tons of stitches), and the sometimes daily advil, no drug use here.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics