Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Budget friendly yom tov dishes

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:35 pm
So finances are a little tight now.... we aren't high maintenance people but I would like nice meals for yom tov, especially cuz we like to have guests...
What are some simple, inexpensive meal ideas? including sides? not too much work and cheap ingredients, please!!

some things I've done in the past, are matza kugel...we still have matza leftover from pesach Wink
rice kugel
I have a lot of canned corn, chickpeas, etc, from shoprite's can can sale if you have ideas for those type of things, etc....??

tia

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:39 am
OOTBubbuy's dough less potato knish recipe is cheap and a nice change from potato kugel.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:42 am
Corn salad using Israeli pickles and a red pepper for color. Dress with mayo, garlic and onion powders and a little pepper.

etky

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 2:40 am
Cou-cous salad with the corn and chickpeas - also add chopped green onion, diced roasted (or fresh will do) red pepper, chopped parsley or cilantro. Season with some olive oil, lemon and/or vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. I also add cumin and chile powder for southwestern flavor when I use cilantro. Keeps well in fridge and looks very colorful when served.
Corn salad like out-of-towner said but you can also just season with a drop of vinegar, oil and a bit of sugar instead of mayo. I add dill and green onion too.
With the chickpeas you can make a quick Chana Masala type dish and serve over rice.
I make a side dish of corn, green beans and red pepper cooked together just until soft and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and a pinch of sugar and oregano.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 5:47 am
carrot and coriander soup, or any carrot soup.

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:06 pm
You can do a mexican meal, either dairy, pareve or meat. Here are some inexpensive ideas: gazpacho, vegetarian or beef or soy chili, cornbread, refried beans, fresh salsa, or make your own burrito bar.

Where I live ground beef is pretty cheap. You can stretch it by making meatballs, meat lasagna, beef chili, moussaka, or stuffed veggies (peppers, zuchinni or tomatoes).

If you can get chicken bones, then you can make a big pot of chicken soup without spending a lot of money.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 12:40 pm
I made grilled corn salad last shabbos- got the idea from overtimecook's- she said you can use canneds corn- I didn't put in any fleishigs and it was sooo yummy Smile
check out website she has some nice vegetable recipes.

anon because we had company and don't want to out my screenname Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen