Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
How long to bake salmon?
1  2  Next

sped

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:37 pm
I plan on making salmon with a mayo-ketchup dressing for a seudah tonight/tomorrow night. I hope to bake it in advance and warm up in the oven/plata. How long should it be baked? Covered or not?
Thanks

proudmother1

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:44 pm
That would depend on how thick the fish is. (I'm assuming its a fillet)
I broil (or grill) on high heat for 4-5 minutes. I like it a bit rare.
I don't think there is a good way to rewarm salmon, or any other fish. Why would you? In the time you would rewarm you can cook it fresh. Just prepare, season etc. Place in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge for 20-30 minutes before you want to broil it.
The biggest killer for fish is overcooking it.

sped

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:50 pm
I won't be broiling, but baking it. I won't have an exact time to serve until it's time to serve! Much easier to have it predone, even if it won't be perfect.

Pineapple

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 9:54 pm
25-30 min

proudmother1

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:01 pm
sped wrote:
I won't be broiling, but baking it. I won't have an exact time to serve until it's time to serve! Much easier to have it predone, even if it won't be perfect.

Then do it right, a little bit in advance, and serve at room temperature. (Just dont let it sit out for too long) It will be much better that way.
My favorite food is fish - and I have converted a lot of fish haters to fish lovers. Trust me. Overbaking your fish will ruin it. You won't know until you try to eat a piece of properly cooked fish.

Lady Bug

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:02 pm
Small, thin slices - 15-20 mins on 425
Large, thick slices - 20-25 mins on 425

I agree that you should just make it fresh and serve at room temperature, doesn't need to be fresh out of the oven. Rewarming it will kill it.

proudmother1

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:02 pm
Pineapple wrote:
25-30 min

Pineapple: Do you love fish? I suspect you don't. You can't possibly when you kill your fish for such a long time in the heat.

proudmother1

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:04 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Small, thin slices - 15-20 mins on 425
Large, thick slices - 20-25 mins on 425

I agree that you should just make it fresh and serve at room temperature, doesn't need to be fresh out of the oven. Rewarming it will kill it.

So will cooking it for such a long time. I'm sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but I just can't take it, watching all of you ruin your perfectly good and expensive fish like that. Please try to cook if for MUCH less time. If you don't like it, you can always return it to the oven, and kill it.

Broil it for 5 min. Let it rest for 5 more. Perfect.
If you really must have it fully cooked, then cook it for 7 minutes. After that you are just drying it out.

egam

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:10 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
So will cooking it for such a long time. I'm sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but I just can't take it, watching all of you ruin your perfectly good and expensive fish like that. Please try to cook if for MUCH less time. If you don't like it, you can always return it to the oven, and kill it.

If you really must have it fully cooked, then cook it for 7 minutes. After that you are just drying it out.

Cannot agree with you more. Yes

Lady Bug

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:10 pm
proudmother1 wrote:

I usually broil for 10 mins because we can't stand any jellyish consistencies, which sometimes comes along with rare fish. We just like our fish well done (call it ruined if you like). But OP specifically wants to bake it, and I find that if I bake it for less time than that, I run into jelly problems, so I take the risk of overdoing my fish.

proudmother1

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:20 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I usually broil for 10 mins because we can't stand any jellyish consistencies, which sometimes comes along with rare fish. We just like our fish well done (call it ruined if you like). But OP specifically wants to bake it, and I find that if I bake it for less time than that, I run into jelly problems, so I take the risk of overdoing my fish.

OP just may want to bake it because she thinks its the best method. Fish is best done on high, direct heat, for short periods of time. I guess the jelly problems is where we differ. LOL
I didn't mean to offend you. Just trying to be helpful.

sped

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 10:48 pm
Actually, I can't broil in my oven and the temperatures are not exact either. I do prefer fish that is just done - not overdone, but I also don't like it undercooked.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 11:56 pm
egam wrote:
Cannot agree with you more. Yes

I second that.
I always get compliments on how moist my salmon is. People ask if it's the sauce or marinade. Nope. It's cooking the fish only to what I like to call "just past being sushi".

soulful music

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:19 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I second that.
I always get compliments on how moist my salmon is. People ask if it's the sauce or marinade. Nope. It's cooking the fish only to what I like to call "just past being sushi".

So how long is that?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:24 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I second that.

Curious what temperature you broil it on?

Levtov

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:50 am
Preheat oven @ 500. Bake @ 500 for 18 minutes. it will be perfect!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:06 am
My oven is electric, no broil temperatures - only high or low. I always use high. Not sure how long, could be as little as 5-6 minutes. I go by how it looks and when it looks right I pull it out and can feel my touch that it's ready or if it needs one more minute.

rachel91

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:10 am
Covered for 10 minutes and uncovered for about 10 minutes.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:21 am
sped wrote:
I plan on making salmon with a mayo-ketchup dressing for a seudah tonight/tomorrow night. I hope to bake it in advance and warm up in the oven/plata. How long should it be baked? Covered or not?
Thanks
400 degrees uncovered for 18 minutes

sped

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:33 am
Baked it uncovered at high temperature, but turned off the oven in the middle by mistake, for quite a while. I turned it back on and B"H it was delicious. Now I have only a little leftover, not enough to serve as a meal.
Thank you everyone!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics