Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone been to Gibraltar?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:47 am
We would love to plan a trip to Gibraltar....
Has anyone been there and can give me some feedback? my two major concerns are:
1) the monkeys. are they all over the place? are they dangerous etc?
2) what´s the weather like in the winter?
any additional info would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.

anon, cuz ppl know about my plans (and my two main concerns Wink

Rixrs

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:00 am
Haha no. The monkeys are mainly on the rock. They rarely come down to the town, it has happened, but it is rare.
It doesn't get too cold in the winter but can be very rainy and windy.
Good luck!

Lily30

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:38 am
Gib is a very nice place....not very big but its close to Spain, so you can always go touring there.
The monkeys usually stay on/near the rock, they do come down sometimes but as long as you have no food on you, its ok.
Winter is usually cloudy, windy, rainy...not especially cold though.
Enjoy!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:40 pm
Ah the Barbary apes! Just be VERY careful, DO NOT bring opened packaged foods or fruits when you go up the Cable Car. They are rather aggressive, have no fears of humans and can try to snatch foods from you or your bags. But don't skip the Upper Rock on that behalf, and St Michael's cave is definitely a good sight to visit.

As others said, it is a pretty compact (small is beautiful) place, so if you're staying more than a few days it's definitely worth making sorties to Spain. If the weather is nice you can see a part of Morocco but chances are less likely in Dec/Jan which are the wettest months.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:52 pm
Thank you all!!!
If anyone has any more valid info I would b happy to hear!!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:10 am
I will be in Spain (marbella) soon for a wedding and we have one day free, so I'd like to visit gibralter.

We will have a car. Whats the best way to get to gibralter? I think the hire car might have restrictions on cross border travel, so has anyone parked across the border and walked across? Is there a long wait at the border in a car? If we can take the car across is there any advantage in doing so?

Once we are there, what restaurants are good? We keep Chalav yisrael. What is there to see?

Also, anything else really worth doing in marbella area for a frum couple? I assume beaches are out. We will have two or three hours on the day of the wedding.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:59 am
(Taken from Tripadvisor)

By car or on foot

Leaving Gibraltar by car can be very tedious - there is often a long queue for Spanish customs / passport control. Spanish Customs will ask if you have any items to declare and will search cars if they think it is necessary. Gibraltar Customs may do the same.

You can either drive through in your car or walk across. If you drive you could be held up (as long as 3 hours) at peak periods of the day to get in or out as volumes of cars increase and Spanish customs to get into Spain tend to ask if you have anything to declare. Spanish customs officers can be very strict (and awkward at times). Take care to only leave Gibraltar with the duty free allowance. Petrol is very cheap in Gibraltar so a lot of Spanish cars come in to refuel.

If you don't have a car, you can walk across the border. You can not use a Gibraltarian taxi to leave Gibraltar and drive into Spain or vice versa. No. 5 runs regularly and takes you to the entrance to Main Street and the centre of town. Walking into town will take about 15 mins and you will have to walk across the airport runway - strange but true.

Don't try to leave when a plane is due to leave or arrive the road will be shut for 15 minutes and a queue will form. If visiting from Spain, it's easiest to park in La Linea and walk across the border into Gibraltar. All buses from outside airport will take you in right direction. No.5 best for going into town. No. 4 for the supermarket and hospital. No. 2 for Rock Hotel and lighthouse. Taxis are plentiful and not cheap, but probably what you would expect, around £7.00 to Rock Hotel or £4.50 to hospital.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:30 pm
Amother who went from Marbella to Gibraltar, any tips? I want to do this next week. We are in Marbella for 2 days and want to use one day for visiting Gibraltar. We have a rental car so I guess we will need to leave it by the border. Can you tell me your experience? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics