Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How Many People Speak Yiddish?
1  2  3  Next

Dina_B613

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:54 am
From the question asked about 'dumbbell' earlier, I see that many of you on the board seem to speak Yiddish. That's so cool! I always thought Yiddish was confined to old people, uber-Chassidish people, and academia. Are most of you who speak Yiddish on here Chassidish? Do your kids speak it? Does anyone here speak Ladino?

Last edited by Dina_B613 on Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:11 am
I don't, but DH is fluent. I do speak a bit of Ladino. DD mixes a bit of Yiddish in her normal English.

nameless

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:27 am
I can understand a little, but my husband is fluent as are a few of my BIL's and nephews. None of who would fall under any of the categories of who you thought would be the only ones speaking Yiddish.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:12 am
Problem with Ladino, is that after the war so many are assimilated and worse- yes, Ashkenazim also, but Ashkenazim at least have big pockets of very frum people. European Sefaradim, do not have that Sad

freidasima

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:41 am
Yiddish from home. My mother knew spanish and some ladino from school and family.

rachel91

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:54 am
I speak yiddish fluently (not chassidish), almost everyone here in antwerp does, or at least understands, not only chassidish or old people.

But I guess it's an Antwerpian thing.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:03 am
No not at all. I only know and sometimes use a few of the standard words because my family used them while I was growing up, but that's no more than many non Jews understand. My grandparents know a lot more Yiddish than my parents do, but my generation of the family and my parents' don't speak Yiddish at all.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:17 am
I know a bit from school. (chabad) Some of my siblings talk yiddish at home. Sadly don't use it much anymore so I've probably forgotten a lot.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:25 am
I do.

I speak Yiddish more fluent than English.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 8:15 am
I speak Yiddish and English fluently, so do my kids. I'm chassidish (Mayne uber? whatever that means)

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 8:31 am
I wish I spoke Yiddish. It was both of my parents' first language and they chose not to teach us so they could talk privately in front of us. Mad (I think they also viewed it as archaic and unnecessary, having abandoned their religious upbringing).

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 8:34 am
Unfortunately even many frum ppl don't want to transmit their Yiddish or Ladino or Arabic to the kids...

Reesa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:13 am
Many Yeshivish guys pick it up in yeshiva. Shiur is given in Yiddish

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:18 am
I speak Yiddish. My kids are picking up a little in school. Hopefully through the years will keep getting better. Not at all chassidish.

rdmom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:23 am
Yiddish was my first language. English second. Now for my kids, I do speak to them in both. But definitely English first. But I have to say that it isn't the original Yiddish that my grandparents spoke. It is watered down a lot with English. Steps, floor, garbage are just a few words that made it into the Yiddish of today.
We are chasidish. My kids learn in a chasidish school. Limudei kodesh is taught in either Yiddish or Hebrew and limudei chol in English. And most everybody in my neighborhood is like that. It is how we grew up.
Then I have cousins in Israel who don't understand a word of Yiddish. Their parents speak it but never passed it down. Except for the sons who learnt it in yeshiva. So it isn't much of a generational thing as it's where I live and what is spoken here.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:48 am
Yiddish by definition is a language that picked up words from wherever Jewish people lived. Some is German, Russian, polish, Hungarian. So I don't think ours is more watered down than in previous years.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:32 am
I have such a harder time with Yinglish as opposed to Yiddish!! lol. Though here also we're guilty of watering down with french etc

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:55 am
I speak yiddish well. In our home we use both english and yiddish .

centurion

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 12:30 pm
Yiddish was my first language but I speak and write on an elementary level because that was when I stopped learning formal yiddish language skills. I work with yiddish speaking kids and often find myself having to switch to yinglish because they don't understand half of what I'm saying.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:32 pm
Dina_B613 wrote:
From the question asked about 'dumbbell' earlier, I see that many of you seem to speak Yiddish. That's so cool! I always thought Yiddish was confined to old people, uber-Chassidish people, and academia. Are most of you who speak Yiddish on here Chassidish? Do your kids speak it? Does anyone here speak Ladino?

I kind of can speak Yiddish.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics