Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Going off dairy help

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:02 am
I am a dairy food junkie. I confess.

My newborn has terrible colic and it was suggested that I go off all dairy. Help. I eat a lot of yogurts cheese etc and can't imagine cutting it all out. But if it helps my screaming baby and his over exhausted mother I'm willing to do it.

So lAides, what can u suggest as breakfast and lunch ideas that don't take long to prepare and aren't dairy.

(Please don't suggest soy substitutes for dairy! I have a doc with allergies and the soy products nauseate me terribly. )

Thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:04 am
amother wrote:

(Please don't suggest soy substitutes for dairy! I have a doc with allergies and the soy products nauseate me terribly. )!

Op here, that should read dc with allergies.... Lol

smss

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:06 am
first read this: http://kellymom.com/health/bab.....vity/

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:15 am
I am a dairy junky who had to go off when my baby had terrible eczema and came up positive for milk allergy on the prick test. I also am not a fan of soy. First of all, almond milk is the way to go. They make almond milk "yogurt" which tastes more like pudding than yogurt, but usually hit the spot. I found I really just needed to keep my protein intake up- lots of nuts, lots of fleishigs (you can be fleishigs all day now, you're not eating milchigs, right? ;-) ).

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
I am a dairy junky who had to go off when my baby had terrible eczema and came up positive for milk allergy on the prick test. I also am not a fan of soy. First of all, almond milk is the way to go. They make almond milk "yogurt" which tastes more like pudding than yogurt, but usually hit the spot. I found I really just needed to keep my protein intake up- lots of nuts, lots of fleishigs (you can be fleishigs all day now, you're not eating milchigs, right? ;-) ).

Well, until now I tried to stay away from fleishigs so I cld be milchigs all day LOL

Forgot to mention that another dc is allergic to nuts so that's out too ...

Also do you think this is an indication of dairy allergy? Funny I didn't have any of this with dc that is severely allergic to dairy...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Well, until now I tried to stay away from fleishigs so I cld be milchigs all day LOL

Forgot to mention that another dc is allergic to nuts so that's out too ...

Also do you think this is an indication of dairy allergy? Funny I didn't have any of this with dc that is severely allergic to dairy...
Smile

I'm actually already back on dairy even though I'm still nursing bc the baby is outgrowing it. He still can't have any directly, but I've been eating it for a month and no reaction. The allergist said diary allergies are most commonly outgrown (as opposed to nut allergies which are usually not). So it may not even be permanent. Sorry you can't have nuts, that's rough. I don't like foods that try to imitate- soy products, margarine etc- as they often have bad stuff in them. Don't try to replace the dairy, just the protein and calcium. Like I said, fleishigs are your friend at this point!

mommy1108

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:36 pm
Wow I really feel for you. Went through the fussiness and crying for 5 months!!! Finally went off dairy til the baby was a year and bH fed her ice cream for the first time today. IyH it's something that may be outgrown.

As a fellow dairy addict I totally empathize with you. I put melted cheese on everything!!!!!! You get used to it though. Here are some of my tips:

1. I know you said no substitutes but just one was helpful. Not soy. Trader Joes Vanilla unsweetened almond beverage. Smells delicious and tastes almost the same as milk. I promise. I still drink it!!!!! (Plus it doesn't taste like almonds!!!!)

2. Breakfast- oatmeal w water cinnamon apples and honey
-eggs, eggs, and more eggs. Over easy, scrambled (with earth balance!!!) eat it with a good hearty bread and it's almost like a pampered vacation
-cereal w almond milk

3. Lunch: salmon
-falafel and chummis
-grilled chicken or salmon salad
-hearty soups
-tuna wrap
-veggie burgers with guacamole
-turkey wrap or sandwich with chipotle mustard and mayo

4. Dinner- I made double Shabbos everything!
-roasted chicken and veggies
-tilapia and roasted potatoes
-salmon and sweet potatoes
-eggs Smile

It's more work. I understand that. But it's such an amazing thing you are doing for your baby. I even grilled chicken for Shabbos day and made a ton- even froze some raw to pull out later. You can do it!!!!

mommy1108

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:38 pm
Sorry didn't see the nut allergy above. I guess never mind about the almond milk. I used to drink rice dream when I couldn't get to the store for cholov yisroel so id run across the street to a market. It really is good and is enriched

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:02 am
Your baby might be allergic to specifically cows milk. I would suggest for you to try goats milk and see if that's fine for him. Its way healthier than all the other milk substitutes and digests easier than cow's milk so your baby might tolerate it.

mommy1108

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:48 pm
I had one baby that could tolerate goat and sheep milk.

If you keep cholov yisroel there are still good options.

Tnuva makes Sheeps feta, kashkaval (which is the best non-cows milk melty cheese),and goat cheese (I used like cream cheese).

Also Haolam makes Sheeps muenster and mozzarella but they are stinky

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:49 pm
Pacific brand oat milk is great with breakfast cereal.

I am also a dairy junkey who did this with three kids! You just do what you have to for your child. Sandwiches with pickles and avocado in place of butter. Chumus. Coconut ice cream. Pasta with olive oil, salt and sautéed veggies. Omelette with caramelized onion. Lots of hearty soups and salads.

Good luck! Pesach was hardest for me.

MMCH

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:04 pm
Oh man its really tough!
I did it for 6 months, but I am telling you it was worth it!!
My baby was a shreakkkerrrr and was gagging over her own spit up every 20 minutes it was crazy.
the day I stopped dairy, she stopped spitting up.

I would love to tell you she stopped crying also, but no the colic ended at 5 months.

Trader Joe's Almond milk is really delicious.
Rice Dream the vanilla is watery, but isnt so bad when masked in cereal.
Whole wheat wraps with scrambled eggs and ketchup were my staple. Giving up yogurt which I actually don't like but eat out of desperation was hard to give up.

I ate A TON of fruit (which killed my stomach, but baby was happy lol) and unfortunately noshed alot on random things.
good luck.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 11:16 pm
Is it dairy or could it be lactose? If so, lactaid milk is great. Not cholov Yisroel but it's great! Some say it tastes funky but I just add a syrup or flavorin. I am lactose intolerant (up to a point. I can have ice cream!!!) but needed calcium so my doc said I MUST drink it especially when pregnant.

eli7

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 2:55 am
I second what was said about goat's and sheep's milk; my daughter did fine when I ate those.

For calcium, tehina is also great (as are leafy green vegetables). For breakfast I would often mix raw tehina with honey and put it on (multigrain or whole grain) toast, with sliced banana. Another idea is to cook other grains and seeds the way you cook oatmeal; grind them first and cook with water to make a porridge. Millet is great for this too and you don't have to grind it first. For fats you can also use avocado, seeds, coconut oil, olive oil.

I would recommend going easy on the eggs, unless you know they aren't a problem. My daughter had much more trouble from my eating eggs than even the dairy.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 9:00 am
Thanks for the replies so far...
I am finding it really hard. I cant find time to prepare food, with a screaming colicky baby, so I just have to eat whatever is quick and easy... Im so tempted to take out a yogurt and just eat it..

How long do I have to wait to see if it makes a difference? I haven't had dairy for two days and no change...

I have been eating eggs, maybe that s an issue... I will stop eggs and see if there is a difference...

Keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate all the responses and ideas!

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 9:12 am
I have gone off dairy for 4/6 nursing babies so far. It is hard! DH is lactose intolerant, so it was an easy Dx for me.

I've really been missing my morning coffee this time around. By the others I used soy milk to sub (DC#4 didn't like the coffee either, so I had to skip then) but this time around I couldn't adapt... My friend introduced me to the Soy Delicious brand coconut creamer--I had my first normal coffee this morning!

They say it takes up to 2 weeeks to test a nursing baby's intolerance, but I have found the kvetchiness subsides within a couple days. It might be something else. Some babies don't tolerate gassy veggies/legumes or wheat products (I had that by DC#4, too). For ex, my SIL wouldn't eat ANY raw veggies when nursing shock

2gether

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:25 am
Just thought I should mention;I went off dairy for a month and it DIDN'T help.
Lots of luck!

mommy#1

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:

How long do I have to wait to see if it makes a difference? I haven't had dairy for two days and no change...
!

I was told to go off dairy, and I loooooove dairy foods! I went off, but I didnt see any difference until 2 weeks later. I guess I still had dairy in my system, thats what my friend decided...
I saw big difference, but I can tell you its definitely not magic. I guess a colicky baby is just a colicky baby. my baby is almost 4 months old & im still off dairy! most people can already be back on, but for me I just feel its worth it, since she has a real bad stomach...
for me, my day is:

COFFEE!!!! I cant do without. first I thought whats a drop of milk just in coffee but I decided not to, because I want to 100% dairy free. for a few days I just lived without because I didnt want to use creamer or any fake milk like soy or almond. but I decided I would not be able to keep to no dairy, so I use creamer and its totally worth it!
I have either a granola bar or dry cereal or danish (though I know I shouldnt!) for breakfast
when I eat lunch, its usually scrambled eggs on a bagel, tuna (rarely, I dont like it-thats whats so hard, I dont like fish), or a plain bagel or bread, or veggie sushi. idk if youre staying away from greens, I am. otherwise id eat salad
fruits
supper is any type of chicken or meat & potatoes usually

yes, as someone previously mentioned, the only good part is, if I decide for some odd reason to have fleishig for lunch its ok, I dont mind being fleishig because I wont eat milchig anyway Smile

dont mean to hijack, but im wondering, my baby as home with me till last week, so she didnt have any formula till then. but now she usually has 2-4 oz of formula a day. I send similac advanced, which is milk based. is that contradictory to my going off dairy? shes getting dairy through the formula here... I dont really notice much change in her since she started the formula though

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:05 pm
op here...

Thx for the help and the specific suggestions.. Day 3 has passed and im still craving dairy worse than a pregnant women Smile I just started my baby on zantac and have seen an improvement already BH... Hope that stays... Will stay off dairy for another few days and then if all is calm, I will try a bit and see if it affects him in any way.

It is so good knowing that im not the only one that finds it hard to do this. I want to help my baby but I feel crazy without my comfort foods...

Dina_B613

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 5:29 pm
I'm obsessed with Larry & Luna's Coconut Ice Cream - it's so good, I love to bring it to people for Shabbos. It's available nationwide and at Whole Foods.

One of my friends loves DF Maven's Ice Cream, which is certified by the OU. They have a coconut collection: http://dfmavens.com. It's available in NY and PA for sure, not sure about New England.

Both of these ice creams are dairy, soy, and nut free! SoDelicious also has coffee creamer that is coconut. Yogurt is hard. Rice yogurt is expensive and tastes blah, and coconut yogurt isn't much better.

If you can eat out of the house away from your nut-free dc, check out Amande Almond Yogurt. There are so many different df milks out there, I like rice milk - which is very mild, and hemp milk.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics