Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boy and girl in one room?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:18 pm
Can 10 yo dd and 14 yo ds share a room?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
Can 10 yo dd and 14 yo ds share a room?
if there is no other space, then it has to be that way. I have a friend who shared a room with a brother until she was 16 or so. There were three bedroom, one was her parent's, one was her other 3 brothers and she shared one with another brother.

If it has to be it has to be. They can change in the bathroom.

I have a relative who has a two bedroom apartment. One for the parents and one for the kids. There were boys and girls. It was one they had so they had to have girls and boys in the same room.

November

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:41 pm
We've tried to separate our DS and DD 12 year old twins, but they refuse. DS goes back into his own room to change, but they sleep in a bunkbed and that's that.

itssimplyme

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:54 pm
that's not ideal, imo.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:00 pm
Ds 14 and ds 16 don't get along. Ds 14 yo wants to share with dd and not ds 17 yo. We can't change anything else. I have these two options.

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
Ds 14 and ds 16 don't get along. Ds 14 yo wants to share with dd and not ds 17 yo. We can't change anything else. I have these two options.

What does your daughter think of the idea?

It might work for the very short term, but a 12 year old girl is not going to want to share a room with a 16 year old boy, so you're going to have to work it out eventually.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:40 pm
Absolutely not. I would separate boys and girls by age nine at the latest. The boys don't get along? Tough bananas. Split the boys' room if possible with a Japanese screen, vertical blinds, curtain hung on a clothesline stretched from wall to wall, or freestanding bookshelves or cabinets so each one has his own territory. But do NOT have a teenage boy share with a girl no matter how young. It's completely inappropriate and asking for trouble.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Absolutely not. I would separate boys and girls by age nine at the latest. The boys don't get along? Tough bananas. Split the boys' room if possible with a Japanese screen, vertical blinds, curtain hung on a clothesline stretched from wall to wall, or freestanding bookshelves or cabinets so each one has his own territory. But do NOT have a teenage boy share with a girl no matter how young. It's completely inappropriate and asking for trouble.
I am not the OP, but what if there just is no other way to fit everyone? Sometimes boys and girls HAVE TO share rooms. And everything turns out just fine. Like I said, they just get dressed in the bathroom. No big deal.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:28 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I am not the OP, but what if there just is no other way to fit everyone? Sometimes boys and girls HAVE TO share rooms. And everything turns out just fine. Like I said, they just get dressed in the bathroom. No big deal.

In this case, there is another way.

I think a ten year old is way too old to share with her teenage brother.

I think you should explore ways to split the boys room. Screens, bookcases, etc can be used to divide the space.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:01 pm
No way.
I would sooner have my teenage son sleep on the living room couch than have him share a room with his sister.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:20 pm
You need a room divider.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:29 pm
Not an option, no way.

mommy321

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:47 pm
R'Wolbe ztl advised parents to separate boys and girls rooms as early as possible.

sped

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:30 am
mommy321 wrote:
R'Wolbe ztl advised parents to separate boys and girls rooms as early as possible.

How early is that? My 2 yo and 4 yo share a room. I assume that is still okay.

nylon

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:01 am
If you only had one bedroom to put them in that would be one thing. But this is about the conflict between the boys. Not only would I not like sharing my bedroom with a teenaged brother, it's not fair to your dd to drag her into it.

Put a divider up in the boys' room.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:05 am
3 rooms 4 kids
I would put two kids into the biggest bedroom and make them work it out between themselves.
I am sorry the kids are putting you in the hard spot.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:22 am
Op here
It is the older boy who is not nice to the younger one. He is not friendly to him. He also and wakes him up in the morning earlier than he needs to. At night he also goes to bed later and sometimes keeps the younger one up.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:42 am
The above situation is 100% unacceptable. I'd sooner sleep on the couch and send my son to sleep in my bed, than allow something like that to happen...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:43 am
My mothers brother was raping her at those exact ages.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:50 am
Just curious, what are you all so worried about?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics