Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
After School and Weekend Activities

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:06 pm
How do you balance your kids after school and weekend activities?

My oldest is six and is right now enrolled in soccer (for the fall) and does baseball in the spring. He wants to join the Cub Scouts (sunday afternoon or saturday night, depending on the season). He also really wants to join ice hockey. Soccer is sunday games and one midweek practice. Baseball is the same. Ice hockey is once a week during a weeknight.

My next child is almost five. He also does soccer (at his age only on sundays) and baseball (also on sundays). He wants to do ice hockey with his brother (which would be easy because its the same schedule).

I have a 3 and a 1 year old as well and I work full time! Costs aside, how do you choose how many after school activities your kids can join? How do you balance the family schedule? How do you balance homework and sleep in with that?

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:12 pm
I don't think you are evil if you tell your kid he has to choose one or two activities. Free time is also good for kids. I'm sure I have read (and can find online) articles that kids need unscheduled free, time to thrive.

Its hard enough for a SAHM to juggle all that stuff. I have no idea how you manage it!

Is ice hockey all year round?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:22 pm
I'm old school that way, that I don't "believe" in activities unless the kid asks for them and commits to them- and then I would say, one at most unless he goes alone. I'm not spending my evenings around town.
On Sunday I would also not "let" an activity (it's family outing day) unless it had a link to a mitzva.
I would not have agreed to all these activities to begin with and really, hat off! I don't know how you do it with a large family kah and working FT.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:26 pm
No, hockey has a fall and winter session. Fall starts in 2 weeks, winter in december. Theoretically, we could do the winter session only and not have multiple sports at the same time.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:19 pm
I was reading somewhere of this mother who had her kids pick one active sport and another after school activity. Then I wondered how parents with 5 kids do it.

1 sport/activity per kid per season I think would be my max. If you can get 2 kids into the same thing that would be great.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:24 pm
We try not to have things overlap. Last season when we were doing baseball and cub scouts, our Sundays were very difficult and now someone is thinking about adding onto that the boy's choir and swimming....

I am really not one of those moms that push and schedule. If I feel something is beneficial for my child, we do it. If they complain about something, I would never do it.

So...we usually do a sport and cub scouts. It's so good for them. My oldest doesn't love sports, but it's good for the exercise and socially.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:01 am
mimisinger, do you think cub scouts have been valuable? In theory, I love it but its year round. I find it easier to commit to a season.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics