Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Cerebral palsy

glucose

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 2:28 pm
Hi everyone, I just registered to this site to see if there is more parents who has a child with cerebral palsy. I know that there are many levels of CP and different outcomes of muscles functions in each individual. I need some advice from experienced parents who saw real results of physical therapy. My question is if there is a more effective method of pt to make the child walk as a normal child and not with a gait as other argue as a result of Medek. (A specific method in physical therapy). I'm just lost and need some chizuk that my child will start to walk soon as he's almost three years.

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 6:39 am
I just saw your post. If you're still around, I want to say that I have a child with mild CP. PT was amazing. I'm not sure what Medek is, it wasn't available to us.

An MRI when she was 1yo was very helpful in giving us hope and realistic expectations. She started walking when she was 3yo. She is now almost 18yo.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 7:05 am
I definitely recommend medek. It can do amazing things.

I have a child who might have CP. B"H she walks in a way that looks normal to most people, though PTs can tell that she has muscle tone issues by watching her walk. The general public would never guess that she has CP.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:53 am
Hi glucose, that's a very interesting handle btw!

My son is 3 with spina bifida, ppl often mistakenly compare it to cp because we use a lot of the same equipment and therapies...

I don't recommend medek, standard PT I think is much better, but the quality of the therapist is key. If you're in Brooklyn, pm me and I'm happy to recommend 2 or 3.

Keep your expectations high and have Hatzlacha :-)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:14 am
Is your dc pulling to stand yet or cruising? Has your pt tried using a walker? Is it spastic diplegia or hemiplegia?

glucose

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:47 pm
Thank you so much to all that replied. It gave me hope.
Why do u not recommend medek?
Did anybody heard of a private PT in new Jersey that does regular pt. Does it pay to go private?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)