Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
LBY vs Bais Yaakov D'Rav Meir
1  2  Next

happy2bhere

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:57 pm
My DD is nursery this year and I am debating between LBY and D'Rav Meir for next year (kindergarden). What are the pros and cons of each school? I am at a total loss where to send her. Thank you.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:04 pm
There are completely different

happy2bhere

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:12 pm
How so?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:38 pm
Academic level

Parent body type

Teaching methods

You can not compare them

happy2bhere

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:58 pm
What's the parent body type at each school?

proudema

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:51 pm
shaindysmom wrote:
My DD is nursery this year and I am debating between LBY and D'Rav Meir for next year (kindergarden). What are the pros and cons of each school? I am at a total loss where to send her. Thank you.

My kids are in D'Rav Meir and I myself attended K-12 grades. I love the school. My kids love the school. Of course some years are better than other with regards to teachers but overall we are extremely happy. The staff are very warm and friendly. The classes are not huge which is nice as well. Academically they are known to be a tougher school. But I don't feel like my kids are over burdened.

Remember though, each child is different and has a different way of learning. The school can be amazing for one kid and awful for another. Hashem should guide you to the right place for your daughter. Good luck!

happy2bhere

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 1:11 am
Thank you!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 1:26 pm
I'm debating between these 2 schools and BYA too.
Can someone compare them please? For preschool and lower elementary.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

My mil teaches in one of the lower grades a d’rav meir. I don’t know anything about the parent body or academics, I just know that the school is getting very very small. I think the kindergarten this year in less than 20 girls per class

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Orange wrote:
My mil teaches in one of the lower grades a d’rav meir. I don’t know anything about the parent body or academics, I just know that the school is getting very very small. I think the kindergarten this year in less than 20 girls per class

That is the reality for every school in Brooklyn now that so many people moved out.
BYA has 19 kids in each kindergarten class.
BYBP has about 18-22 in a class, and less classes per grade than they used to

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:13 pm
I went to D'rav Meir years ago and I'm still traumatized. If the principal is the same I can't see how it makes sense to send there. YMMV.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

Bya and drav Meir are much more academic and more right wing parent body. Lev is much much warmer,

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:30 pm
I have a daughter in tenth grade bydm. the high school is definitely more intense than the elementary. very nice school.girls from good frum families. compared to lev, it is probably more yeshivish/BY-ish. Also some families are the type to go to Florida. Then again, lev prob has that,too.
BYA is more yeshivish and less into Florida over vacation, though I could be wrong.

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:31 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
That is the reality for every school in Brooklyn now that so many people moved out.
BYA has 19 kids in each kindergarten class.
BYBP has about 18-22 in a class, and less classes per grade than they used to

BYBP, has only survived because their student body changed. Their students these days are mostly from neutral chassidish, Boro Park families.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:32 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I have a daughter in tenth grade bydm. the high school is definitely more intense than the elementary. very nice school.girls from good frum families. compared to lev, it is probably more yeshivish/BY-ish. Also some families are the type to go to Florida. Then again, lev prob has that,too.
BYA is more yeshivish and less into Florida over vacation, though I could be wrong.

You are wrong I have a dd in bya. Many girls go to Florida

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Bya and drav Meir are much more academic and more right wing parent body. Lev is much much warmer,

Not sure BYA is more academic

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Not sure BYA is more academic

Bya elementary definitely is. The High school is debatable

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 6:16 pm
My daughter is in upper elementary at LBY. So much has changed since we started there. The class sizes have decreased significantly. The hashkafic differences that were not so evident in younger grades have been emphasized. We consider ourselves JPF, but we are careful about the media that our kids consume. We watch very little, we only listen to Jewish music, and we try to make sure that all books are appropriate. We only have heavily filtered devices. My daughter has classmates that run the spectrum from rabbi's daughters to girls who have full unfiltered access to anything and everything they might want. I have serious issues with the things that are shared during the school day, but I don't feel like I can put her into a different Brooklyn school at this point.

That being said, the environment in the school is very positive and empowering. The preschool has always been beyond compare. The teachers have, for the most part, been excellent, and while the academic standards are not the highest, I feel like I'm ok with that.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 6:19 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
I went to D'rav Meir years ago and I'm still traumatized. If the principal is the same I can't see how it makes sense to send there. YMMV.

Do you mean elementary school or HS principal? English or Hebrew principal?
A lot has changed over the years

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 6:24 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Do you mean elementary school or HS principal? English or Hebrew principal?
A lot has changed over the years

Elementary
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics