Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
"I want to be a baby again"

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 6:54 pm
My 3 year old wants to be a baby again. He often asks to look at pictures/video as a baby, and use a pacifier (which he never actually took as a baby), and does not want to be potty trained. I tried getting him all excited about being a big boy, and he point blank said "I don't want to be a big boy. I want to be a baby". There is a baby at home, but the baby is already over 1, so hardly new. I guess I need to indulge him a little, but how long can he keep this up? I am really done with diapers (for him, anyway), and it's really embarrassing that he's the only one in his class not trained. Also, he can't do the baby thing forever, he has to move on eventually! How do I get him to want to be big?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 7:15 pm
My DGS, aged 2, decided he wanted to be a baby like his morah's baby "Sarala". So he'd say, "Mommy, hold me like a baby. I Sarala!" etc.

Usually it's just a stage & they outgrow it. I wouldn't worry too much.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 7:17 pm
He's only three - he IS a baby!!

Let him do "big boy" things and don't worry about the areas where he still wants to be babyish - he'll grow out of it in a couple of years. Only big boys get to color - not babies! Only big boys get nosh and Shabbos party - not babies! Only big boys get to play with trucks!

I have a sibling who wanted to be a baby for a long time. It expressed itself in her taking a bottle to bed until she was 9 or 10, and even she grew out of it. My parents never took a stand against it, and today she's a happy, well adjusted, successful adult.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:00 pm
I second the idea of emphasizing all the perks of "big boy"hood, and contrasting with the handicaps of babyhood--like being able to ask for what you want and not having to hope someone will eventually guess correctly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers