Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Look horrible with no makeup over a 3 day yom tov
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:03 am
My makeup used to stay on much better when I was younger but lately, It doesn't stay on too well once I wake up shabbos morn. I wear foundation with a powder on top but it still comes off mostly by the time I wake up. I wear waterproof mascara & waterproof eyeliner and & long lasting lipstick but it doesn't help it stay on. It's so hard for me to leave my house with no makeup on because I feel so ugly & I'm going to have to leave my house for shofar for 2 days on rosh hashana & on sukkos, I'll have to be with lots of family on mine & dh's side. I wish I didn't care but I don't feel comfortable walking around without makeup. I like to wear makeup because it makes me feel so much prettier. I know how to put on my makeup very well so it makes a big difference when I wear it on my face. I asked my husband about getting shabbos makeup & he looked at me like I was crazy since he thinks I'm so vain and he feels like it's wrong. He doesn't understand because he's not a woman. I have a reddish undertone and my skin is pretty light since I haven't been able to tan all summer and has some unevenness as well so with makeup, it looks bronzed & smooth. I'm kind of dreading all the 3 day yomim tovim that are coming up. Is there anyone else in this situation besides me? Also, does anyone have any tips?

busydev

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:16 am
call your rav and ask your own shayla about shabbos makeup.

everyone is in the same boat as you....

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:17 am
I used to wear makeup. When I didn't put any on, I felt I looked horrible. On Shabbos and YT I felt even worse with my racoon eyes as eyeliner cannot stay overnight on me. Gradually I put less and less makeup and didn't feel so horrible without it. Now I almost never wear anything and I feel much better about myself.
I am not pretty, I have uneven skin color and starting to have wrinkles, but I have learnt to like how I look.
If your DH thinks it's vain to wear makeup on Shabbos, probably he doesn't care about it in general and you don't need to feel bad without makeup. It was a big surprise to me (and help) that my DH actually does not like makeup, because I thought all men did.

I just tried the edit function to correct a typo. I love it!

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:24 am
It's soo bad for your skin to sleep with foundation. Can you use loose powder in the morning instead?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:33 pm
Everyone has this problem of "having no make up" on third day yt. Most people have it by the first day.
I don't like to wear foundation or base powder overnight because it just cracks and looks horrible.
Before shabbos or yom tov I wash my face with a good cleanser followed by an exfoliator and then extra moisturizing cream. I also do eye cream and then I put foundation primer and eye primer. I do my eye liner (I hardly have time or patience for eye shadow but sometimes I do that in which case I do it before the liner). Then Mascara. Then bronzer and/or blush. Lip primer, lip liner lip stick - blot - lip stick - blot, lip gloss.
Then I spray a make up finishing spray on top of that.

Often it stays for first day. Most times it doesn't but I got told that any powder based makeup I can re apply on Shabbos or Y"T since powder doesn't hold for so long to be considered coloring. So I usually apply bronzer, bllush and eyeshadow if necessary. And I usually tap some blush on my lips as wel if they are really pale.

But at the end of the day you are not the only one who looks like that. Single girls on 3rd day yom tov have greasy hair and no make up and married women have wigs with no makeup. That is the way it is.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:37 pm
I wash my face after the second day, it looks better than trying to keep on the last traces of makeup.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:41 pm
Go for a spray tan before. It will even the skin tone and provide a makeup like look. Just make sure to try it beforehand to make sure you don't become orange etc.

rachelle613

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:42 pm
I think we all feel the same way. At least we;re not single and have to worry about greasy hair too Very Happy

I always wear eye liner. ALWAYS. I was dreading a 3 day yom tov, as well as mikva problems on shabbos- I literally look ill without it. Last year I had semi-permanent make up done, and it's been amazing. No more worrying and stressing that I have no eye liner- there's always a line there (I like it thin). My rav is pretty strict and I dreaded asking him, and was very surprised when he said he can't see why it's a problem as I never remove it.

Would you consider it?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:46 pm
love2live wrote:
I think we all feel the same way. At least we;re not single and have to worry about greasy hair too Very Happy

I always wear eye liner. ALWAYS. I was dreading a 3 day yom tov, as well as mikva problems on shabbos- I literally look ill without it. Last year I had semi-permanent make up done, and it's been amazing. No more worrying and stressing that I have no eye liner- there's always a line there (I like it thin). My rav is pretty strict and I dreaded asking him, and was very surprised when he said he can't see why it's a problem as I never remove it.

Would you consider it?

not op - but I am very interested in this as I NEVER leave my home without eye liner. I am a different person with and without.

Can you tell me where you got this done? Can the same be done for lips?

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:46 pm
The way I see it, if anyone is focusing on my beauty over those 3 days, they're kind of missing the point of yom tov/shabbos.

Try going with a clean face and no makeup for the three days, and see if anyone either comments, or looks at you differently. Particularly if you make sure to hold yourself like a queen, put on pretty jewelry, and have a genuine smile.

Usually, the only one that really notices a difference is me, and especially at this time of year (and there is a minhag that the kvittel can be inserted in the sefer until Simchas Torah), I'd rather focus on correcting interior flaws to exterior ones.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:51 pm
imasinger wrote:
The way I see it, if anyone is focusing on my beauty over those 3 days, they're kind of missing the point of yom tov/shabbos.

Try going with a clean face and no makeup for the three days, and see if anyone either comments, or looks at you differently. Particularly if you make sure to hold yourself like a queen, put on pretty jewelry, and have a genuine smile.

Usually, the only one that really notices a difference is me, and especially at this time of year (and there is a minhag that the kvittel can be inserted in the sefer until Simchas Torah), I'd rather focus on correcting interior flaws to exterior ones.

just curious how old you are? You have the right attitude and no one can deny that but it comes with a certain maturity.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:57 pm
Sleep with a silk pillowcase over your pillow. It makes such a huge difference. I sleep with one every Friday night. They're cheap on Amazon.

Also make sure to use primer for the face and primer for eye lids. I don't care if my lipstick comes off as I naturally have very bright lips anyway so I don't use lip primer.

When we had a 3-day Pesach and I was pregnant with no facial blemishes, I didn't put on any real makeup. Instead I used only Shabbos makeup and reapplied it as often as necessary (washing my face in between). It felt so good compared to the pasty oily yucky feeling you get when real makeup is older than a day.

penguin

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:00 pm
How about sitting out in the sun for 15 minutes every day so you get a little tan on your face?

I am so tempted to get the semi-permanent eyeliner just in general. Is there any shayla that it's like a tattoo? That's what I would wonder about.

rachelle613

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:02 pm
lkwd lady- I live in e'y so got it done here, but any good beautician would probably offer it. I don't know if you can do it for lips- I've only ever heard of it for eyes. It's called permanent or semi-permanent make up. It costs quite a bit ($100 maybe?) but you don't need to waste money on eye liner for the next year, so that does help. I personally just love the convenience of never worrying about my eye liner- whether it's a 3 day yom tov or just shabbos/mikva etc.

rachelle613

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:03 pm
Penguin- I dont think so, because it does EVENTUALLY rub off. I've had mine for a year and I'd like to redo it before R'H as the left side isn't very strong any more.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:06 pm
OP here...Thanks for all your replies. I always feel like when I go outside on a 3 day yom tov, most women look pretty good without makeup and some still have plenty of makeup on. A lot of people don't need makeup but I definitely do! I look so pale & ugly with no makeup while wearing a shaitel. I don't like the look at all. I'm also overweight so I already feel self conscious about that so without makeup, it only worsens my feelings of self loathing. I know my husband likes it when I get dressed up & wear makeup but he doesn't care at all if my makeup comes off on shabbos or y't. He still loves me the same but it's more about how I feel. Like I said, I really know how to apply my makeup nicely so it makes a huge difference.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:07 pm
love2live wrote:
lkwd lady- I live in e'y so got it done here, but any good beautician would probably offer it. I don't know if you can do it for lips- I've only ever heard of it for eyes. It's called permanent or semi-permanent make up. It costs quite a bit ($100 maybe?) but you don't need to waste money on eye liner for the next year, so that does help. I personally just love the convenience of never worrying about my eye liner- whether it's a 3 day yom tov or just shabbos/mikva etc.

did you have it applied on the top and bottom?

I'm remembering that I once did this on my lashes - yrs ago when I was single and you couldn't even tell! I wish I knew of a place in my area that people are happy with but unfortunately I have not heard about this here.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:07 pm
love2live wrote:
It costs quite a bit ($100 maybe?) but you don't need to waste money on eye liner for the next year, so that does help.

Lol! My eyeliner cost for the year is about $10 Wink but yeah, this does sound like a really cool idea. It would save me time spent trying to make sure I'm applying it evenly.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:09 pm
imasinger wrote:

Perhaps, but it's normal for a woman to want to look pretty regardless. We make an effort to dress nicely, clean the house, and prepare special foods, and there's no reason to dismiss other aspects of beauty that are important to a particular woman. Yom tov is not a day of mourning , halacha clearly stipulates that there are gashmi elements that are appropriate in conjunction with the ruchani.

I wear shabbos makeup. I couldn't really care less whether my husband thinks I need it, I do it because that's what makes me feel nice. And obviously I was told by my rav what and how to use it Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:26 pm
If you can get a heter for permanent make up it solves some issues.

If not as my dh says shabbes is when the mask falls and the skin rests Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics