Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Car rentals, how does it work?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 7:19 pm
I have never rented a car before. Can someone answer a few questions please. I am a new driver, have my license only a few months, will this be a problem? I am in mid twenties. Also, are you allowed to let another driver use it? Any recommendations for best prices in Brooklyn appreciated.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 7:33 pm
Different companies have different policies but, in general, if you are 25 with a valid license, a major credit card, and insurance , you can rent. You can add another person but you will pay extra (although sometimes a spouse is free ).
Cost-- how long do you need the car for? If you're talking a few days to 2 weeks ( short term ), look online for discount car rental sites. Just put in those words (cheapcarrental). It's usually cheaper to pick a rental up at an airport. Check with your credit card company if you have a gold card-- usually it will cover insurance for a rental-- and also with your insurance company, although if you have any major carrier, you're covered. Hope this helps.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:25 pm
yes, that was helpful, thanks. I need it for about a month. Any recommendations?

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:36 pm
PAMOM wrote:
It's usually cheaper to pick a rental up at an airport.

I have actually found this not to be true. I have found that airport is more expensive

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:28 pm
singleagain wrote:
I have actually found this not to be true. I have found that airport is more expensive
Thanks, but I can not get to an airport in any case. I need something in the BP/ Flatbush area.

little_mage

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:46 pm
If you're under 25, you can still rent, but they'll charge you an extra fee. An additional driver is often an extra fee. Do you have a usual car that you're sending to the shop? They might be able to include a loaner, which will probably be cheaper then a rental.

ROFL

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 10:15 pm
Don't know name of car rental place but it is in 45th street and 18th avenue I hear they are inexpensive, look in one of those free magazines in boro park They have ads for car rental Also you may be able to make a deal for a monthly rental
The most expensive part will be the insurance. Some credit cards do cover some insurance on a rental so call you credit card and ask them if they have a deal for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics