Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need Entryway Ideas
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:25 pm
I'm thinking of getting a storage ottoman in bonded leather or something for the long wall next to the closet, and backpacks would be placed in there. Then individual hooks placed above it, spaced out well, for each kid. I got these http://www.ebay.com/itm/400735.....%3AIT

Not sure if that would totally clash since these are so cute, and an ottoman is more of a serious/formal look...

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:34 pm
Those are adorable! I would ask what weight limit is for those.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 3:31 pm
You need something to kind of tie the two looks together.....I'm not so visual, but I'm sure there's something you can do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 7:53 pm
What if I did it in a green instead like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Doub.....90626 (lime color -- or the red but that is out of stock right now)? Would that go together well? And would it be so weird when the rest of my furniture is brown in the living room?

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:03 pm
I like this idea, which is actually from a whole page of ideas you should look at all about entryway ideas:

:

Last edited by penguin on Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:09 pm
This is another version.

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:10 pm
and one more - the part with the hooks could be hung lower down so kids could reach it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:49 pm
I've seen all these ideas, don't worry Wink I looked online for hours and hours before posting here!

My main issue is that all these ideas have space for about 4 hooks, and it looks nice and tidy.

Well, what happens when you need a lot more than that? All of a sudden, it's more crammed and not as neat.

I need a system that is very kid friendly with space for all my children (and IY"H a way to expand if necessary down the line). I don't really need upper storage, and I don't really need shoe storage. I mainly need for coats and bags. I do have a coat closet that if we leave as is can be used for the adults, and extra winter paraphernalia when not used (when it is, we tuck the gloves and hats into the coat sleeves). Shoes are kept in the room next to the bed.

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:57 pm
Did you say the measurement of the wall?
Why couldn't you get two of those shelf and hook thingies?

Although the question is if it's going to stay neat.

How about this from Home Depot for $109? You can put hooks inside.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:24 pm
I'll take a look at that, thank you!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:28 pm
And while I have a home storage thread, I'll just tack on this question....

We used to have a small bookcase in the dining room that I lit my leichter on, and it was used as shelving for our challah cover, kids' parsha sheets, etc. The etc includes clutter Wink

I decided to use the bookcase in the playroom for the kids' books and there was a shelf installed on the wall to use for leichter.

I'm left wondering what to do to be able to hold the kids' parsha sheets (the challah cover could technically be put away in the breakfront Wink) during the seudos. I don't want to risk them on the table.

Anything I get should be small, fit in the corner, and thereby hopefully not too clutter magnetic. I was thinking of a shtender type of thing, but maybe there is something out there that is a bit nicer. I'm not looking to spend more than $100, and significantly less than that if possible....what type of item am I looking for? Very Happy

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:37 pm
buy a wooden clipboard, suspend it from the bottom of the shelf. affix a decorative photo/design to the back of it. when needed, clip the parsha sheets in the clipboard. turn the clipboard around so you see a decoration, not an ugly clipboard Smile

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:41 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
And while I have a home storage thread, I'll just tack on this question....

We used to have a small bookcase in the dining room that I lit my leichter on, and it was used as shelving for our challah cover, kids' parsha sheets, etc. The etc includes clutter Wink

I decided to use the bookcase in the playroom for the kids' books and there was a shelf installed on the wall to use for leichter.

I'm left wondering what to do to be able to hold the kids' parsha sheets (the challah cover could technically be put away in the breakfront Wink) during the seudos. I don't want to risk them on the table.

Anything I get should be small, fit in the corner, and thereby hopefully not too clutter magnetic. I was thinking of a shtender type of thing, but maybe there is something out there that is a bit nicer. I'm not looking to spend more than $100, and significantly less than that if possible....what type of item am I looking for? Very Happy

A magazine rack.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:42 pm
mummiedearest,
That's a very cute idea Very Happy Have to see how to go about that...
How would you suspend it? Just hang it from a nail (wooden clipboards have a hollow part in the metal, don't they? Or it won't lie flush?)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:47 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
A magazine rack.

Oh, I like that idea -- wall mounted, I'm thinking?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:27 pm
For the coats, I would prefer a less messy look than a row of hooks on a prominent wall.

I would suggest either a coat rack umrella stand (I have seen prettier ones with two levels of hooks that children can reach but here is just an example as to the type of item I am referring to) to be placed in that area between the entryway and the window.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hom.....rc=ds

Or I would purchase inexpensive bookshelves that are approximately waist high. Do not install the shelves. Insead, install hooks. Place the bookshelf in the closet. It will be more accessible to the kids/not as deep. You can also keep another set of shelves behind the one with hooks for items that need long term storage. The bookshelves are light and easy for an adult to remove when necessary. Also great way to adjust and move things around the house as needed without any damage done to walls. I actually prefer this as the coats will be behind closed doors (when you decide to close them) but easily accessible to little ones.
http://www.staples.com/South-S.....47276
This. Minus the shelves. Install hooks toward the top of the unit. Place in closet. You can still hang jackets/car coats on the rod above, just not long coats on that portion of the closet.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:29 pm
My husband thinks the random pages will flop in a magazine holder, since not all my kids bring home a folder to keep them more rigid Sad

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My husband thinks the random pages will flop in a magazine holder, since not all my kids bring home a folder to keep them more rigid Sad

Leave a couple of spare folders in it.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:39 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mummiedearest,
That's a very cute idea Very Happy Have to see how to go about that...
How would you suspend it? Just hang it from a nail (wooden clipboards have a hollow part in the metal, don't they? Or it won't lie flush?)

I was thinking a string, but a nail may work if you hang it by the back of the clip, not the front. alternatively, you can try something like this:

http://www.rufflesandstuff.com.....ngers

or, you can buy these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubberma.....ckets

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:41 pm
Google punch studio magazine holder
They have many pretty designs.
You can put all the parsha sheets as well as folders in it.
But then you need to move it off the table. Will it fit on the leichter shelf? Do you have a buffet type of item? Or in the breakfront when not in use?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics