Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Glass cooktop on yom tov

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:04 am
The house we moved into has glass ( electric) stove tops and I'm wondering how to deal w this for yom tov. I notice if I turn on a burner & don't put the pot on right away, it emits huge amounts of heat- so I'm very nervous to keep it on all of yom tov.

Does anyone have such a cooktop and what do u do for yom tov?

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:12 am
I have a dairy one. For shavuos, when I do dairy meals, I have a plug in electric ring that I leave on a time switch. I wouldn't leave the glass stove on all yom tov.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:15 am
studying_torah wrote:
The house we moved into has glass ( electric) stove tops and I'm wondering how to deal w this for yom tov. I notice if I turn on a burner & don't put the pot on right away, it emits huge amounts of heat- so I'm very nervous to keep it on all of yom tov.

Does anyone have such a cooktop and what do u do for yom tov?

I have a glass top stove.
I don't use my stove top.
Use the oven and electric plata instead.
All my meals are oven ready.
Cook everything in advance and heat up in the oven.

loveit

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:21 pm
I have a glass top and I use it all the time on yom tov and Shabbos (to heat the food for fir night). I set the burner or two burners I want to low. You can cover with an overturned cookie sheet to remind you that it's on. I've never turned it up higher than low but mines always been fine on low

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:28 pm
The oven is also electric ( a wall oven) - not sure about leaving it on for three days either.
Loveit:
Does the cooktop get damaged , or emit a lot of heat if it's on low a whole yom tov? And can you adjust the temp? Don't think cooking on low will work too well

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:32 pm
I had a bad experience with a plata and a 3 day yom tov. I wouldn't leave on anything electric for that long anymore.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:47 pm
studying_torah wrote:
The oven is also electric ( a wall oven) - not sure about leaving it on for three days either.
Loveit:
Does the cooktop get damaged , or emit a lot of heat if it's on low a whole yom tov? And can you adjust the temp? Don't think cooking on low will work too well

All electric ovens have an auto shut off after 12 hrs that you need to override so that your oven doesn't shut off on Yom Tov. Check your manual. Otherwise it's perfectly ok to leave it on for 3 days. Most models now come with Sabbath Mode which is helpful.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:54 pm
Never cover a glass stove top with a blech. It has been known to cause it to shatter.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:21 pm
I don't have the oven manual, unless the past owners left it for us somewhere...

ariellabella

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:37 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I don't have the oven manual, unless the past owners left it for us somewhere...

Most appliance manuals can be found online nowadays. Just google your make and model number.

Tapuzi

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:38 pm
I've never left mine on but I'm thinking about leaving one burner on low with a very large pot of water on it, which I can remove when I want to cook other things. Just so the heating element is covered. Anyone have thoughts on this?

loveit

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:28 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Loveit:

It hasn't been damaged so far and on low it's not a ton heat. I don't know if you can turn it up on yt or not- if you are allowed I assume you probably have to wait to see it flash red? I just use it to warm the food since we don't really do any cooking on yt
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen