Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to make chocolate syrup thats good for icecream

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:31 am
I searched google. All the recipes have the same ingredients but different amounts. I tried 2 recipes. Both times I followed the recipe to a T and was not happy with the results. Too liquidy (missing the thick syrupy texture) and does not taste good plain. Both recipes are fine for chocolate milk but horrible for ice cream.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:41 am
This is very good and fudgy:
http://www.chewoutloud.com/201.....auce/

but when you put it in the fridge it really solidifies so it has to be used warmish (haven't tried room temperature).

I used it in this recipe http://www.chewoutloud.com/201.....away/ and then we enjoyed the leftovers.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:50 am
don't know if you want something think, but here the original recipe for hot fudge from schrafft's:

in heavy saucepan mix 2 T of cocoa, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of heavy cream until smooth

stir in 1/2 cup more heavy cream, 1/2 cup of light corn syrup, 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, 1 T salted butter and a few drops cider vinegar (or really any vinegar)

bring to a boil, stirring. boil over medium heat for 7-8 minutes (or until mixture reaches 220-225 on a candy thermometer if you have one. I just eyeball.)

remove from heat and add 1/2 t of vanilla extract. let sit a few minutes.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:52 am
thank you sky. That recipe is totally different then the ones Ive seen until now.
But I dont have some of those ingredients. Can I use chocolate chips for the sweet chocolate? Can I use margarine instead of butter because I want to keep it pareve? And what is heavy cream?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
thank you sky. That recipe is totally different then the ones Ive seen until now.
But I dont have some of those ingredients. Can I use chocolate chips for the sweet chocolate? Can I use margarine instead of butter because I want to keep it pareve? And what is heavy cream?

heavy cream is whipping cream, so the recipe I gave is milchig... but so is ice cream.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:58 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
heavy cream is whipping cream, so the recipe I gave is milchig... but so is ice cream.
for chocolate milk and regular ice cream milchig is fine but we have pareve ice cream on shabbos.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:00 pm
You might microwave the chips in a small bowl or pitcher with a little bland oil. Only a little. Stir with a fork when it comes out and pour away. Or drip it off the edge of a spoon.

Rayna Simnegar did that for chocolate dripppings to garnish a cake with. I suppose for a bit of chocolate taste but probably mainly for the look of it. It's very dressy looking. The ice cream will survive on its own, for taste, perhaps.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
for chocolate milk and regular ice cream milchig is fine but we have pareve ice cream on shabbos.

got it. we're veggies so we have a fleishig-only kitchen. good luck finding a recipe!

sky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:

I made it pareve (my substitutions are in red)

3 oz semi sweet chocolate - used chocolate chips (I just eyeballed the amount - like 1/3 of a 9 oz bag.)
1/2 cup heavy cream - Rich's Whip Cream
6 TB brown sugar
2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
1 TB regular salted butter - marg (I think I even used oil because I didn't have marg in the house but not sure.)
1 tsp vanilla extract
small pinch kosher salt

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:09 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
got it. we're veggies so we have a fleishig-only kitchen. good luck finding a recipe!

wait, if you have a fleishig only kitchen then how do you use milchig heavy cream?

sky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:12 pm
What about a peanut butter sauce. I once made this to serve on top of store bought ice cream for a simcha, at the request of the host, and it was very good.

do NOT rely on these measurements - because I haven't made it in a while and if you are interested create a post asking for the recipe (I think it is common).

Equal parts corn syrup, peanut butter, chocolate syrup.

it made a very fudgy yummy ice cream sauce.

UQT

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:15 pm
Equal amounts of karo syrup, peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Bring to a boil

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
wait, if you have a fleishig only kitchen then how do you use milchig heavy cream?

see how good my typing and thoughts are? we have a milchig only kitchen, because we won't eat meat. did I sleep last night?

sky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:21 pm
UQT wrote:
Equal amounts of karo syrup, peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Bring to a boil

Thanks. I don't think I even boiled when I made it, just mixed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen