Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Is it safe....

Chickpea

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:25 pm
.....to leave a slow cooker plugged in for a three day YT? I want to put up a cholent early Fri morning for Shabbos. Using a timer isn't possible. Tia

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:27 pm
I did it and I left water in the crockpot so it wouldn't dry out and crack.

busydev

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:33 pm
I did. I left the crock pot plugged in and the insert was not in it. I used it to rewarm food over y"t so we didnt need to have an oven on (heating the whole house). put the room temperature insert into the heated part. and then took it out when it was all warmed. then I washed out and used the insert for my cholent on friday.

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:37 pm
If your electrical wiring is old or fussy (shorts out often) I would consider plugging in the crockpot in a room that's not used much, if you have one. That way, if a fuse were to blow, you wouldn't lose your refrigerator etc!

questioner

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:32 pm
busydev wrote:
I did. I left the crock pot plugged in and the insert was not in it. I used it to rewarm food over y"t so we didnt need to have an oven on (heating the whole house). put the room temperature insert into the heated part. and then took it out when it was all warmed. then I washed out and used the insert for my cholent on friday.

I really want to do that this year. Shavuos was way too hot for me with the oven and a flame on in my (small) kitchen. What did you do for the Shabbos food? How did that get warmed up?

busydev

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:53 pm
questioner wrote:
I really want to do that this year. Shavuos was way too hot for me with the oven and a flame on in my (small) kitchen. What did you do for the Shabbos food? How did that get warmed up?

I leave on one burner on my stove and up to 2 crock pots (one 4qt one 1.5qt) it depends on my needs.

most of my food is precooked and just needs to be warmed up in the crock pot. a few things over y"t (stir fry, shabbos chicken soup) I made fresh on the burner. everything else I put in or on a crock pot and have managed fine. another option would be to get a hot plate. (esp if you are having more then 2 adults and 1 kid that barely eats-so far thats my usual for yomim tovim I make- and when I have had guests that was the "fresh" meal)

Leahh

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:54 pm
Put crockpot on a shabbos clock to go on 24 hrs after yt start. That way it's only on from thurs night instead of Wednesday night. Don't set it to go off.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:14 pm
Leahh wrote:
Put crockpot on a shabbos clock to go on 24 hrs after yt start. That way it's only on from thurs night instead of Wednesday night. Don't set it to go off.

Some Rabbanim (based on, I believe, Rav Moshe's psak) do not allow an appliance (maybe only a cooking appliance, but I think anything but a light) to be turned on by timer.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:34 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Some Rabbanim (based on, I believe, Rav Moshe's psak) do not allow an appliance (maybe only a cooking appliance, but I think anything but a light) to be turned on by timer.

I've never heard of this before, but even if it's the case for shabbos, I would be shocked if it applied on YT.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:36 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I've never heard of this before, but even if it's the case for shabbos, I would be shocked if it applied on YT.

You may be right that it is only for Shabbos; I definitely only a vague recollection of the issue. Please don't go by me; AYLOR.

Leahh

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:40 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

This idea came from my rav (litvish, yeshivish) so obviously it's not a problem for me. I guess everyone should ask for themselves.
Rav Moshe, as I was told, was against shabbos clocks period. No matter what it was used for, he was against it. Including lights and air conditioners.
Also, as someone else pointed out, it would be turning on on yt not shabbos and therefore that ruling may not apply for those that go by it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics