Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you put on makeup ON Shabbos or Yom Tov?
1  2  3  Next

ilovesem

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:04 pm
I first heard of this concept a few years back. I'm am NOT referring to makeup that is permitted to use.
I am talking about everyday makeup including lipstick. Several (think 5 or more) people/friends/relatives have told me that they put on makeup ON Shabbos or YT. I am not even surprised any more when I hear that someone does although the first time, I was shocked.

These people would not dream of lifting a pen on shabbos but unfortunately for various reasons, feel the need to do this?

I totally understand the need to always wear makeup and not being seen without - (I put on makeup just before I was being induced) and I am rarely seen without makeup however I would not be driven to do this.

Your thoughts?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:12 pm
I'm guessing you grew up, and are still surrounded now in/by a right wing crowd if this is something you haven't seen and never heard of. Yes, I put makeup on on Shabbos and yom tov.

ilovesem

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:14 pm
So is this a common accepted practice in some crowds/sectors? Because if it was here, then I wouldn't be asking... It'd just be something everyone does that is the norm.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm guessing you grew up, and are still surrounded now in/by a right wing crowd if this is something you haven't seen and never heard of. Yes, I put makeup on on Shabbos and yom tov.
shabbos makeup or the same stuff you use during the week?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:27 pm
[quote="amother"]shabbos makeup or the same stuff you use during the week?[/quote
Same

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:28 pm
ilovesem wrote:
So is this a common accepted practice in some crowds/sectors? Because if it was here, then I wouldn't be asking... It'd just be something everyone does that is the norm.

I can't speak about crowds or sectors. Only that if I didn't wear makeup, in my community, I'd likely be the only one. Same for the community I grew up in.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:43 pm
It is not accepted halachically at all. Everyone has a different yetzer hara Sad

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:46 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
It is not accepted halachically at all. Everyone has a different yetzer hara Sad

My yetzer hora, for example, is killing bugs on Shabbos.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:48 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
My yetzer hora, for example, is killing bugs on Shabbos.

Mine is biting nails and pulling skin... Confused

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:57 pm
Mine is putting on makeup on shabbos. I do feel guilty because I know it's wrong but I feel so uncomfortable without it & my makeup is half on by shabbos morning. I don't care unless I want to go out on shabbos. I used to do it all the time but I've been trying to stop lately but it's definitely not easy!

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:18 pm
I'm not RW at all, and I don't put on makeup on Shabbos and YT. But I rarely wear it anyway.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
Mine is putting on makeup on shabbos. I do feel guilty because I know it's wrong but I feel so uncomfortable without it & my makeup is half on by shabbos morning. I don't care unless I want to go out on shabbos. I used to do it all the time but I've been trying to stop lately but it's definitely not easy!

have you tried shabbos makeup?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:50 pm
If you do chillul Shabbos when it is not comfotable for you than it is not a good sign...😢😢😢
Did you try Shabbos make up.
On Shabbos I always sleep on my back. It is uncomfortable but I got used to it. That way my make up is still on. I should try Shabbos make up.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:51 pm
Mine is taking off a stain of my only Shabbos outfit.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
If you do chillul Shabbos when it is not comfotable for you than it is not a good sign...😢😢😢
Did you try Shabbos make up.
On Shabbos I always sleep on my back. It is uncomfortable but I got used to it. That way my make up is still on. I should try Shabbos make up.

Wishing I didn't have oily skin... does nobody else have oily skin?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 12:30 am
amother wrote:

Are you frum?

If yes, how do you justify it to yourself?

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 1:08 am
Instead of guilt tripping, why dont we learn the malachos involved here and see if there is a way around them. The very existance of Shobbos makeup tells me that there are permitted ways to put on makeup on shobbos. And the "Shobbos Makeup" people probably dont have a patent on a special recipe.

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 1:39 am
I wonder how you guys pull it off. You come to the seuda with a fresh coat of lipstick/lipgloss and all your guests/ kids/ dh can see it. So it'd like being mechalel shabbes publicly. Or do you just assume they are clueless?
I have a friend who does seem to have fresh lipstick on shabbes but it is a friend and I don't think about it and give her a tiny benefit of the doubt.
If it was someone from my family, I would be really upset

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:51 am
There are many lip stain products out there that will last 24 hours (apply before Shabbos). There are also lip glosses that are thinner than olive oil.

AYLOR

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:00 am
Why can't you put loose powder makeup on a clean, dry face on Shabbos?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics