Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you put on makeup ON Shabbos or Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

slk36

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:02 am
I second the 24 hour make-up idea. I've had great success with it...I've even had lipstick last through a 2 day Yom Tov into Shabbos. You just have to be really careful how you sleep; no face-plants in the pillow etc, lol.

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:16 am
amother wrote:
Why can't you put loose powder makeup on a clean, dry face on Shabbos?

Right. You can use regular baby powder on Shobbos.

I think the issues with makeup are 'grinding' and 'dyeing'. I'm not sure what else. Anyone??

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:23 am
chani8 wrote:

I think the issues with makeup are 'grinding' and 'dyeing'. I'm not sure what else. Anyone??

Smearing ointment is the other one. (lipstick, gloss, cream blush)

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:23 am
chani8 wrote:

I would also think, writing and applying oil.

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
Why can't you put loose powder makeup on a clean, dry face on Shabbos?

you can. but mascara, eyeliner, lipgloss?

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:31 am
"HaRav Moshe Feinstein zt"l was of the opinion28 that one may use powdered makeup that is not long lasting."

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....s.htm

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Smearing ointment is the other one. (lipstick, gloss, cream blush)

dyeing, smearing, grinding, squeezing

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:05 am
I love living a sheltered life. Im still getting over the fact that frum kids text on Shabbos...

citimom

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:25 am
Id sooner brush my teeth on Shabbos and yt than apply makeup...

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:26 am
I don't get how one can sleep with make up. The problem for me would not be whether or not the make up lasts, but rather the griminess of not washing your face for 24+ hours.

I wash my face a few times a day, not necessarily with water (rather a gentle tonic) and cannot imagine walking around with day-old sweat, etc. Especially if it's mixed with make-up!

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:27 am
amother wrote:
I love living a sheltered life. Im still getting over the fact that frum kids text on Shabbos...

Try explaining which malacha you're over by being on your smart phone. Texting is a form of writing, but other phone use, which malacha is it??

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:32 am
chani8 wrote:
Try explaining which malacha you're over by being on your smart phone. Texting is a form of writing, but other phone use, which malacha is it??

You can text on Chol Hamoed when you can't write.

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 6:05 am
amother wrote:
You can text on Chol Hamoed when you can't write.

True. Says something about whether or not it's considered writing, eh. But really, in the spirit of shobbos, it's close enough to writing if you ask me. If we don't turn off our phones and internet for shobbos, when will we ever disconnect from it all?? L'kavod shobbos, I'm so grateful to turn everything off.

OnTopic, I don't need to wear makeup on Shobbos, I am just curious about how we can do it, if we want to. I learned that we need to prepare it before shobbos, use a brush not a sponge, don't mix colors, and dilute any liquids.

bbd

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 6:22 am
This was a huge problem for me because I use to not leave my house without mascara but since I looked closer at the halacha and saw you really cant color or paint, I put on a thick coat of eyeliner before shabbos and lots of mascara. If I see the makeup is off and Im about to go to shul, I have Bare Minerals powder eye shadow that I try loosely put on, but I heard even thats a problem. Its the same for brushing my hair under my head covering (especially since my head isnt covered completely) on shabbos.

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 7:49 am
bbd wrote:
This was a huge problem for me because I use to not leave my house without mascara but since I looked closer at the halacha and saw you really cant color or paint, I put on a thick coat of eyeliner before shabbos and lots of mascara. If I see the makeup is off and Im about to go to shul, I have Bare Minerals powder eye shadow that I try loosely put on, but I heard even thats a problem. Its the same for brushing my hair under my head covering (especially since my head isnt covered completely) on shabbos.

The mascara and eye liner are a problem to apply on shobbos, but as long as you scrap the eye shadow powder loose before shobbos, and use a brush not a sponge, what is the problem??

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:20 am
citimom wrote:
Id sooner brush my teeth on Shabbos and yt than apply makeup...

There are many liquid toothpastes sold on the mass market that you can use. I've been using these for years and years.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:20 am
I'm shocked by the responses of people who put on make u p on Shabbos! Is our society at such a low level that we care more about how we look then what H wants for us for 1 day a week?
If you care that much, maybe you should stay home on Shabbos rather then put on makeup. That way no one has to see your bare face!

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
I'm shocked by the responses of people who put on make u p on Shabbos! Is our society at such a low level that we care more about how we look then what H wants for us for 1 day a week?
If you care that much, maybe you should stay home on Shabbos rather then put on makeup. That way no one has to see your bare face!

Don't be so upset, just thank G-d it's not your nisayon. Youngsters these days suffer terribly without their makeup. We have to have rachmonis, not judge them.

That's why we should learn the permitted ways to do things. Makeup isn't out, you just have to think it through and prepare ahead of time, just like we do with everything else l'kavod shobbos.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:28 am
I'm very looks oriented, but if you are shomer shabbes even in private, then those are the consequences... if not, then it's not that different from the tv. Or wtv. I laugh that some judge timer tv but do this...

gp2.0

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:44 am
chani8 wrote:

I have no idea how the inside of a cell phone works, but I do know that some things are designated as muktzah even if they are not oiver on a Malacha. For example we learned that a painting hanging on the wall is muktzah because it is not necessary for Shabbos.

A cell phone however may have other issues, such as generating electric current or signals which would fall under the same reason why we can't turn on a light switch.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics