Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need help with school lunches for my kids!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:40 am
I need to make lunches for 3 kids everyday, plus 2 kids need two snacks, one for each recess. It's getting so expensive and I feel like every other day I'm running out and having to go back to the store shopping. Any ideas do make this easier? I give one fruit or veggie, and pretzels or wafers. What homemade things can make? Any ideas will be so helpful!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 10:21 am
My daughter loves bringing homemade muffins for snack. Before school started my husband baked three different types and froze them. Every night she picks the kind she wants for the next day and it's defrosted by morning. Once those are almost gone they'll decide what flavors to make next.

She gets a fruit or vegetable for her other snack. Right now she only wants tomatoes from our garden. Once we no longer have any left, she'll take whatever is in season at the grocery store.

I refuse to buy those little snack baggies that are full of junk and up being really expensive. Luckily the school has a healthy snack policy.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 11:08 am
I bake once in a while. I will make brownies, oatmeal cookies and cupcakes. I prepare them in individual zip-lock bags and put in in the freezer. My kids take one homemade snack and one store bought. I also got a big container of pretzels that my kids can bag themselves. Re-bagging chips or store bought cookies doesnt work well since they will get smashed.

Lunch isnt easy. I try to have the kids pick their lunch the night before and do whatever prep work I can do. If once DC wants macaroni and another DC wants egg salad, I can prepare that in advance. I will make grill cheese in the morning. I have 4 lunches to make so my mornings are hectic.

I have tried to get my kids to pick a weekly menu, but they weren't happy with that.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 11:17 am
I don't consider a cookie a snack, it's a treat....

Try making baggies of "trail mix" with an assortment of pretzels, cereal, raisins, nuts (if your school allows) etc.

We also do the homemade muffins and often just a piece of fruit like a banana or apple.

Lunches I do the night before - either leftovers from dinner, basic sandwiches, veggie burgers etc

It shouldn't be more complicated or expensive than if they were eating at home.

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 1:35 pm
My kids often took baggies of plain Cheerios. Homemade hummus or bean dip, and some carrot sticks. Carrots by me are not expensive, unless you buy the baby carrots. Or any veggie on sale.

Also, we try to have a lettuce salad every night. I never dress the big salad. Each person can dress their own portion. This way the salad doesn't get mushy and leftovers could be sent for lunch.

Bananas are usually the cheapest fruit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children