Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Playing in the rain?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 9:58 pm
My kids were happily playing out front this afternoon when it began to rain. They wanted to keep playing outside and as it was just rain (no lightening, wind, or other dangerous conditions) I let them. I sat on my covered porch and watched them. After about a half hour, the novelty of being wet wore off and they came inside to dry off. I had a guest over who was quite horrified that I let them stay out, and went on as if I'd gone and let them drink bleach or something. DH and I think my guest was over the top, but just wanted to see what others think.

yo'ma

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:00 pm
I love playing in the rain. As long as there's not a lot of wind or any lightening and it's not cold, why not? It's fun!!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:07 pm
My kids would luv it! I don't have the nerves for the work afterwards. U deserve credit! Maybe weekdays I can be more lenient cuz I can clean easier. Ur a great mom! Gut vuch!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:12 pm
Kudos to you for being such a great mom!

oliveoil

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:12 pm
I'm with you. Would def do it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:26 pm
Sure, I've let my kids play in the rain — and why not, I'm a duck!

What would be the problem?

sequoia

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:33 pm
Ricky Martin concurs Smile

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:34 pm
Was your guest older? People of a certain age seem to insist that being out in the rain will make you catch a cold.
Not only do I let my kids play in the rain, but sometimes we specifically go out to dance in the rain. It's such a joy for them.

yo'ma

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:58 pm

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 1:45 am
It's just water.

Does your guest ever take showers?

momX4

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 1:48 am
My boys did this today, played in the rain while I napped. I was upset that they got their shabbos shoes soaked. The did put on jackets and had fun.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 2:01 am
If the weather is otherwise mild and it's only a little precipitation, I'd let them stay out. It's like a free sprinkler park! You're lucky you have a covered porch near play area. I felt bad making my kids come inside when it started raining after just a couple of minutes of play the other day, but *I* was getting annoyed at being wet. I really made them come inside for my own convenience. Also it looked like it was going to turn into a downpour very quickly and then I would have been even more uncomfortable. Oh well.

Guest has no right to criticize your parenting.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 2:38 am
As a kid I used to love the rain, especially the hail.

Now I hate it but my kids love it so if it is not to muddy and no lightning I honestly don't care if they want to get wet. As long as they strip by the front of the house (well inside the door) and don't drag wet stuff across my floors.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 3:50 am
That's awesome! Let kids be kids!

https://www.facebook.com/video.....25338

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 7:41 am
I don't let. To me it's the best way to catch a cold (and it often works with me).
My husband says it's ok.

granolamom

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:08 am
we went to the park in the rain yesterday. we're rain people. I used to pop my babies in a wrap and bring an umbrella and go for long walks in the rain. we've never caught a cold from an early fall rain. cold, icy rain is another story, I dont go out in that if I dont have to.

and really, who can resist a good puddle?

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:12 am
We have done this before. Yesterday, I let my toddler do it and I just kept thinking that my neighbors must think I'm crazy.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:16 am
My kids played outside yesterday too. And interestingly enough, my 2 year old stayed out the longest :-) my two older ones are not quite as free-spirited as he is :-)

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 10:58 am
We totally do this all the time. When I was SAHM-ing a 2 year old, rain was the best because we'd break out the boots and coats and go puddle-stomping. I took my younger 2 year old out to do it yesterday, even on Shabbos, because her sister was at a playdate and she needed to get out of the house.

Better for kids to enjoy different kinds of weather, hopefully they'll grow up to grumble about it less.

forever21

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 12:39 pm
its fun to play in the rain! especially when its after a hot spell and the rain is making things cooler outside. mothers who complain about the rain have kids who prob wont like the rain either which is kinda sad.
Ruchel, as long as they get out of their wet clothing when they come inside, chances are they wont get sick.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics