Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
This is my chance! iso AMAZING recipe
1  2  Next

June

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 7:59 am
my husband claims he hates beans, although he admits he's never had them outside cholent. I've been wanting to use them in my cooking for ages now, because they're pretty much the perfect food - very nutritious and cheap Smile

he just agreed to try them in a dish this week, and so I need a really great recipe that he'll love and agree to have again. once I make that dish a couple of times, he'll be open to other dishes with beans. I can't mess up this chance.

any ideas?

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:03 am
Not really a dish, but I make fresh chummus with chickpeas and cannelini beans. SOOO much better than the packaged stuff, and we eat it with challah on Shabbos, as well as with veggie sticks throughout the week.

Would you add beans to a chili recipe that also has meat in it, or do you want the beans to be the stars? I've found I can't really sell my family on all-beans meals, but I can have beans replace half the meat in a recipe, or be in a soup together with sausage and veggies. You know what I mean?

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:07 am
I think we are having chili mac this week it's a new favorite over here.

What kind of flavors do you like in general? I make a lot of Mexican and Indian dishes that are bean based.

June

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:32 am
bigsis144, I was originally thinking in terms of main ingredient, but maybe a chili or something like that is the way to go in the beginning. although his mom doesn't include beans in her cholent, and neither do we, he eats other people's bean-full cholents quite happily.

mha3484, is your recipe vegetarian? if so, can you post it? I think I can only serve beans with starchy foods, because we try to follow the rambam diet (LT diet) which is partly based on the food combining theory. beans are very high in protein, but I think for the purposes of food combining they can only be eaten with other carbs.

dh is not such a fan of overly hot foods; moderately spicy is fine. he likes sweet n sour very much.

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:05 am
For chili mac I like this recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/m/rec.....3651/

I leave out the meat. If I have extra mushrooms or beans I replace.

These are other good recipe sources:

http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Beans

http://www.budgetbytes.com/cat.....eans/

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:24 am
You'll be more successful if you combine beans with ingredients you already know he likes.

If he loves fleishigs, then a chili dish or burritos might be the way to go.

If he prefers dairy, then make a Mexican dish with cheese.

Does he like sweet potatoes? I just recently posted a link to sweet potato burritos on another thread about beans. It's a dairy recipe that goes over really well in my house.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:28 am
If he likes burgers I would start with something like that bean/lentil based.

You can layer the bun with ketchup, high quality pickles, sliced red onions...

Also, lentils are much tastier than other beans.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

smss

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:33 am
burritos: cook white rice with fajita/taco seasoning - mix with black beans (I just use canned usually, but you can cook from scratch if you want to) - fill tortillas (I use whole wheat) with the rice/beans mixture & sprinkle cheddar cheese, then fold like a burrito and bake until cheese is melted (maybe 15-20 min?) you can serve with sour cream & salsa if you want. everyone I've served these to loved them, even people who say they hate beans!

smss

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:33 am
oh, and I second ra_mom that black bean burgers are really good, they actually taste kind of meaty.

penguin

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 12:47 pm
I used to do baked beans. You can google for specifics.
I would basically sautee chopped onions til pretty soft & slightly brown, add baby lima beans that have been soaked for 1/2 an hour in boiled water, and some brown sugar, water to cover.

A little ketchup to taste.

(Actually this was the start of my cholent, but I liked it just like this, maybe with barley.)

Dina_B613

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 2:40 pm
Delicious, but be sure not to cut down the maple syrup & to use a high speed blender. Chickpea lumps are a big no-no and a huge turn-off. If you need to, borrow a high speed blender! And if you're in a small university city in the Midwest you can use mine.

The original recipe called for chocolate chips, but I don't eat them because I haven't found sugar free ones, so I ended up dividing the batch into two, and mixing chocolate chips into only one of them, which my kids ate. (Sorry, pic is without the choc chips.)
This makes two 8x8 pans of blondies.

Flourless Chickpea Blondies Recipe- Egg Free, Refined Sugar Free
Ingredients:
4 cups cooked and rinsed chickpeas
1 cup peanut butter (or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter)
2/3 cup honey or maple syrup (or 1 cup of some sort of granulated sugar, whichever kind you prefer)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
(1/4 cup water if using sugar)

Instructions:
1. Stick everything other than the chocolate chips in a food processor. Blend until smooth.

2. Add the chocolate chips if using, and mix well.

3. Spread thinly into two 8x8 pans, and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until completely solid.

4. Let cool, then cut up into squares.

From pennilessparenting.com

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 4:22 pm
I vote for a Mexican dish with cheese.

My picky eaters all love stuffed nachos. Line a dairy platter with tortilla chips. Melt cheese (we like mozzarella) on top - do not overheat! Add, in rings, your choice of the following: warm refried beans (you can buy canned or make your own; making your own is tastier), shredded lettuce, tomato, sliced black olives, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and more cheese. Have extra tortilla chips for more dipping. Yum!

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 4:26 pm
I saw a recipe for a sweet potato salad on YouTube, by Marc Bitman.
It had sweet potato, black beans, red peppers, cilantro, in a lime dressing.
Yum!!!

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 4:32 pm
How about red beans and rice. Coming from a Latin background we always had beans and rice.
http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....34813
Of course leave out the bacon.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:05 pm
imasinger wrote:
I vote for a Mexican dish with cheese.

My picky eaters all love stuffed nachos. Line a dairy platter with tortilla chips. Melt cheese (we like mozzarella) on top - do not overheat! Add, in rings, your choice of the following: warm refried beans (you can buy canned or make your own; making your own is tastier), shredded lettuce, tomato, sliced black olives, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and more cheese. Have extra tortilla chips for more dipping. Yum!

what's your recipe?

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:37 pm
smss wrote:
what's your recipe?

Adapted from Moosewood

1 c dried pinto beans, soaked in water to cover for 2 hours and cooked with 1 t salt for 2 hours, or 2 cans pinto beans

1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 green pepper, minced
1 t cumin (ground)
pepper to taste

Drain and mash pinto beans with potato masher.

Saute onions and garlic in olice oil until onions are translucent. Add 1/2 t salt (not needed for canned), and cumin. Add green pepper, cover, and simmer for 5 min. Add onion mix to mashed beans mix well, salt and pepper to taste.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:44 pm
sounds yum! can't wait to try it Smile

June

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:53 pm
thanks so much for all your suggestions! now I have to decide what to make Wink. I'll let you know how he likes it.

Israeli amothers: anything I have to know about beans here? will the pkgs say what type they are? do they have to be checked?

thanks!

sped

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:21 am
Beans do need to be checked, though you can get pre-checked beans (Kitov and other companies). Also, I don't think all these types of beans are very available here.

June

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:25 am
sped wrote:
Beans do need to be checked, though you can get pre-checked beans (Kitov and other companies). Also, I don't think all these types of beans are very available here.

that's what I thought Confused
what kind of beans can I find in a mid-sized supermarket? (zol vbgadol) going shopping soon...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals