Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching wardrobe

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 2:27 pm
How many outfits (per season, in a city where summer and winter climates are VERY different) do you think I need if I teach 5 days a week?

PLEASE don't tell me to just have staples/separates that can be "endlessly combined with different accessories!" because I am NOT fashion savvy. Is 10 outfits per season (I.e. two weeks without repeating anything) reasonable?

Background:
* This is my first year teaching full time. Before this I worked from home/taught an hour-long class twice a week at most. So I don't have too much already in my closet.
* I'm teaching 5th grade girls who already comment on EVERYTHING I wear. ("I like your necklace/shoes/skirt!" "Your shoes are so interesting!" "You're not wearing any makeup today!" Rolling Eyes Yes, I've told them these comments are inappropriate, but some are really coming from a sweet and eager to please place. Only a few too-cool-for-school kids use it to show they're comfortable with saying ANYTHING they feel like to the teacher/on equal ground with me/naturally sarcastic little Queen Bees in the making.) Like I said, fashion isn't second nature to me and I'm scared of them not respecting me for being "the nerdy teacher". My inner wallflower high school version of myself is so intimidated. I know I don't need to be the trendiest teacher in the school, but I don't want them speculating whether I'm pregnant or not because I'm wearing something unflattering, or snickering behind my back because omg, she totally wore that exact black skirt THREE TIMES this week.
* I work in a Bais Yaakov school (just to get an idea for the dress code level).

Fabulous

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 2:47 pm
I'd say 4 skirts and 10-13 tops to match to them. Try for 2 pairs of shoes as well

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 3:26 pm
I would say 5 skirts because the girls will notice if you repeat in the same week.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 3:28 pm
Go to Chico's. You can buy full outfits there--long skirts with matching blazers and matching belts and matching earrings. Get a coupon from someone.

Their clothes aren't totally fashionable, but it's modest, super comfortable, and appropriate for teaching.

Go and get five outfits and call it a day. Smile

mommy1108

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 4:26 pm
I teach in a BY Highschool which is much worse in terms of what you're describing about the girls noticing clothes

I really only do black straight skirts and a pleated every once in a while.

I would say 4 skirts if that's the case. If you do other types maybe 5.

In terms of tops, you could get away with alternating the same 8-9 tops in a season. I personally feel the need for more of a selection so that I feel new and fresh all the time. But I know teachers that probably have a rotation of 6 or 7 even. But they would need to be more understated in that case.

I would recommend checking out Ann Tayor, loft, jcrew, banana republic, and of course frum stores. You need to go somewhere that has like "Shabbos-casual" type thigs. Heavy knits or blazers in fall and winter and good blouses. Maybe a few black turtlenecks to go under cardigans.

I've also had luck with talbots for good printed blouses for spring and summer.

Hatzlocha with the new school year

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:13 pm
I used to be a BY teacher. I had 5 skirts (3 black, 1 navy, 1 charcoal) and about 10 tops per season.

I currently teach in public school and my tops are things like these (but I get them on clearance for around $20), with a shell underneath in a similar color (I.e. a teal top with a teal shell, the shades are different, but I pull them together with cheap jewelry):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....d%3D1

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro....._Pos2 (but I try to find the ones with a slight sleeve since it looks better with the shell)

Do you have Stein Mart near you? I usually have good mazel there.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:43 pm
When my DD taught 6-8 grades in an OOT BY school when she was single, she found the girls writing down what she wore every day to see how often she repeated!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 5:57 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
How many outfits (per season, in a city where summer and winter climates are VERY different) do you think I need if I teach 5 days a week?

PLEASE don't tell me to just have staples/separates that can be "endlessly combined with different accessories!" because I am NOT fashion savvy. Is 10 outfits per season (I.e. two weeks without repeating anything) reasonable?

Background:
* This is my first year teaching full time. Before this I worked from home/taught an hour-long class twice a week at most. So I don't have too much already in my closet.
* I'm teaching 5th grade girls who already comment on EVERYTHING I wear. ("I like your necklace/shoes/skirt!" "Your shoes are so interesting!" "You're not wearing any makeup today!" Rolling Eyes Yes, I've told them these comments are inappropriate, but some are really coming from a sweet and eager to please place. Only a few too-cool-for-school kids use it to show they're comfortable with saying ANYTHING they feel like to the teacher/on equal ground with me/naturally sarcastic little Queen Bees in the making.) Like I said, fashion isn't second nature to me and I'm scared of them not respecting me for being "the nerdy teacher". My inner wallflower high school version of myself is so intimidated. I know I don't need to be the trendiest teacher in the school, but I don't want them speculating whether I'm pregnant or not because I'm wearing something unflattering, or snickering behind my back because omg, she totally wore that exact black skirt THREE TIMES this week.
* I work in a Bais Yaakov school (just to get an idea for the dress code level).
Yes, you need at least 2 weeks worth of cloths so 10 outfits.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 6:43 pm
10 -12 outfits
4-5 shoes (Girls notice shoes)
Try to wear something different/special on Rosh Chodesh.
Accessorize.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:24 pm
I have about 12 different combinations using:

White, navy, gray, and 2 black skirts
White shirt, lots of shells in white, navy, and black, assorted tops
Around 5 necklaces
3 scarves
3 pairs of earrings
4-5 pairs of shoes

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:28 pm
Is there someone in your neighborhood who does personal shopping or closet consulting type of services? If you're worried about getting the "right" things having a fashion pro to shop with could be useful. Are the students where you're working generally from wealthy/stylish homes? If not a pro, do you have a sibling or friend who could help you put together some looks?

Get boots for fall/winter!

Tziril Miriam

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:41 pm
Make sure your shoes are polished. I learned this from watching successful corporate men.

You don't need multiple shoes each season. I wear Dansko shoes, in black, because I'm on my feet and comfort is important to me.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 10:02 pm
I don't understand why anyone needs two weeks worth of clothes... or why anyone would care if a bunch of snotty sounding kids notice that you wore the same skirt more than once in a week. Goodness.

I'd say about 4-5 skirts and 6-7 tops should be sufficient. As long as it's clean, who cares if you wear the same thing within a week or two? It gives them something to keep busy with and eventually they'll grow up like the rest of us.

...Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 10:15 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't understand why anyone needs two weeks worth of clothes... or why anyone would care if a bunch of snotty sounding kids notice that you wore the same skirt more than once in a week. Goodness.

I'd say about 4-5 skirts and 6-7 tops should be sufficient. As long as it's clean, who cares if you wear the same thing within a week or two? It gives them something to keep busy with and eventually they'll grow up like the rest of us.

...Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Technically, you're totally right. They're just kids and they could use a lesson in kibud morim.

But if it's giving her anxiety, and it bothers her when the kids bother her about it, then having a few extra items and making sure they're reasonably fashionable isn't a crazy thing to want/do. As long as shopping for those items doesn't give her a whole nother set of anxiety...

mommy1108

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:43 pm
As mentioned above, definitely get 1-2 nicer things for Rosh Chodesh. Really even more for yourself than the girls. You will see that the other Moros really dress so beautifully (always but even moreso) on Rosh Chodesh. This way youll feel nice. Look for something shabbosy that you wouldnt mind saving for those days in school. Again, see Ann Taylor... wait for online flash sales.. or frum stores (thats really where all my blazers are from)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics