Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin not enough
Previous  1  2

momtra

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:11 am
amother wrote:
dr. Mayank Shukla

212-661-7077

Thanks - anyone else famiar with this Dr?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:17 am
Esther23 wrote:
A calcium and magnesium supplement is supposed to help for that. Calcium relaxes muscles and magnesium helps your body properly absorb and utilize the calcium.

The amount of calcium medically needed to make a person sleepy would never be able to be absorbed in one setting, not to mention that continuously doing so would be dangerous for one's liver, kidneys, and pancreas. The body cannot absorb more than 500 milligrams at a time. Melatonin should not be taken on a regular basis, although it is not considered addictive or dangerous (although if you do take too much, your body could need "too much" to go to sleep. It's good for things like getting yourself back to sleep when your body's natural cycle (which will produce it's own melatonin) are out of whack: travel, pulling all nighters to get work in, etc. If you need to take melatonin every night to sleep, it's because you're not getting to sleep for other reasons: anxiety, too much melatonin, stress, going to bed too early. I'm pretty lax about sleeping and have been since I was a child. My mother just told me to sit at my desk and keep myself busy until I feel ready to sleep. Getting use to being awake in bed is a bad idea, because training your body to recognize the bed means sleep is important. There were nights that I slept 4 hours when I was little, but sleep wasn't a pressure. We never had an attitude of "you must sleep 8 hours." When I was cranky and didn't feel well I heard words like "oh of course it's because we didn't sleep enough last night." It became a positive way of dealing with a lack of sleep. I think that that's far more important than learning to force yourself to sleep. You should find out why your child had a difficult time falling asleep and address the underlying issue (anxiety, etc.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics