Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshivish HS with chol for boys in USA
1  2  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 7:04 am
Ok, I think it will be easier that way!

What are the yeshivishe high schools graduating or graduating level?

Note: I'm not looking for places where many kids there are rejected from the kulo kodesh system and end up there. Wink

Thank youuuuuuuuuu

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:53 am
Virtually all yeshivish boys HS offer a HS diploma. There are probably a few exceptions but I don't even know what they are.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:01 am
Where in the US?

catonmylap

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:02 am
The American Yeshivish thing has always been to send away for high school... if this is still the case, it won't really matter so much where you live..

sky

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:03 am
Lakewood is one of the few places that have schools that do not (and others that do). I never heard of it before I moved here.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:17 am
FYI, even the most chareidi schools in the US generally have some form of secular studies.

If you want useful information, we need to know what level of frumkeit you are looking for, what level of secular studies you are looking for (is anything okay? high school diploma? college courses?) and where you want to live.

rosenbal

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:34 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Virtually all yeshivish boys HS offer a HS diploma. There are probably a few exceptions but I don't even know what they are.

True, but she may be asking if they actually learn and value (at least from a pragmatic approach, like Touro) their chol. Do the boys goof off during chol with the implicit knowledge of the administration? That's pretty common.

Do the boys actually learn anything of substance to prepare them for college level work, do they take SATs or do they just go through the motions and get enough credits to get a diploma. Big difference. We all know the more serious type is much harder to find in yeshivish mesivtas although not unheard of.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:34 am
Most Lakewood boys' high schools have zero secular education. They learn all day. Their secular knowledge goes until eighth grade at most. Hence many parents have no choice but to send to an out of town yeshiva.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:45 am
rosenbal wrote:
True, but she may be asking if they actually learn and value (at least from a pragmatic approach, like Touro) their chol. Do the boys goof off during chol with the implicit knowledge of the administration? That's pretty common.

Do the boys actually learn anything of substance to prepare them for college level work, do they take SATs or do they just go through the motions and get enough credits to get a diploma. Big difference. We all know the more serious type is much harder to find in yeshivish mesivtas although not unheard of.

That wasn't specified in the op, but if she's interested in knowing what level of secular education is offered, that's a totally different question. Besides Lakewood HS I'm not aware of any that *don't* offer a HS diploma.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Most Lakewood boys' high schools have zero secular education. They learn all day. Their secular knowledge goes until eighth grade at most.

This is primarily what I want to avoid.
The boy should have HS diploma and (if need be with tutoring) be able to go to a frum uni/by mail degree if he wants to. Of course better level is better, but this would be the minimum.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 11:49 am
Well, we won't know what she's asking unless she clarifies, so maybe we should wait for that clarification before jumping into the debate of how high schools should teach chol.

OP,

1) What level of frumkeit are you looking for?
2) How much chol are you looking for?
3) Where do you want to live? (at least East Coast, Midwest, or West coast to narrow it down)

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 11:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
This is primarily what I want to avoid.
The boy should have HS diploma and (if need be with tutoring) be able to go to a frum uni/by mail degree if he wants to. Of course better level is better, but this would be the minimum.

So don't move to Lakewood and you should be fine. Any of the other communities you've mentioned you are considering should all be ok in this regard, some better, some worse, but none like the Lakewood situation you wish to avoid.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:10 pm
Ruchel, are you the OP?
If so, the amother who just posted answered.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:32 pm
The OP of which thread? lol
I'm the OP of this thread, did Imamother default on anon again??

Frumkeit level, JPF to "open" yeshivish (not bordering on the Israeli charedi).

Location, only price is a matter. Not NY area, not LA area, none of the very expensive locations. As an example, Baltimore ok Cleveland ok. Also there should be a BY or BY-style school for girls up to 12th grade.

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:38 pm
Ruchel, if you want your children to get a good education, send them to an MO day school. So they'll celebrate Yom Haatzmaut. So what??? It's ONE day a year. You seriously can't deal with it?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:48 pm
sequoia wrote:
Ruchel, if you want your children to get a good education, send them to an MO day school. So they'll celebrate Yom Haatzmaut. So what??? It's ONE day a year. You seriously can't deal with it?

I can't believe all non MO schools in USA are bad. It's not even the case here.
I can't deal with them being the frummie, and with tuition, and I don't feel linked to MO in USA (and the more they evolve the less I do). This is not a choice.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:49 pm
seqoia- there is much more to a MO day school then yom haatzmaut- I send to a school that celebrates yom haatzmaut but isn't exactly MO. I went to an MO school and I wouldn't send there. Nothing against MO people, It's just not my hashkafa, just like MO posters like Barbara wouldn't send their kids to a yesheivish school even if for some reason they celebrat yom haatzmaut and have a good secular studies department, there is sooooo much more to it.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:51 pm
sequoia wrote:

That's like telling someone mo to send to a yeshivish school and just keep their son home on YH to celebrate LOL

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:59 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
That's like telling someone mo to send to a yeshivish school and just keep their son home on YH to celebrate LOL

If there were particular advantages to the yeshivish school, I would.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:03 pm
Look, even if I wanted to, I can hardly pay tuition for many yeshivish schools. So it would sadden me a LOT to pay more for a worse fit. If I cannot find any yeshivish-style school at all anywhere in the US, then I have already a better and more affordable fit at home...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics