Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshivish HS with chol for boys in USA
Previous  1  2

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:04 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I can't believe all non MO schools in USA are bad. It's not even the case here.
I can't deal with them being the frummie, and with tuition, and I don't feel linked to MO in USA (and the more they evolve the less I do). This is not a choice.

Aha, that's all very well from France. When your daughters come home from school criticizing your wardrobe or reading choices, you'll feel differently.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
The OP of which thread? lol
I'm the OP of this thread, did Imamother default on anon again??

Frumkeit level, JPF to "open" yeshivish (not bordering on the Israeli charedi).

Location, only price is a matter. Not NY area, not LA area, none of the very expensive locations. As an example, Baltimore ok Cleveland ok. Also there should be a BY or BY-style school for girls up to 12th grade.
lol, this one. Yes it did Smile

So let's say Ner Yisrael in Baltimore, has plenty of boys who go to college (and even a college within the yeshiva) and is very yeshivish.

A little less yeshivish but a good choice for JPF people would be any yeshiva affiliated with Chofetz Chaim. They generally have chol and take it seriously, and most of them are in out of town communities, so that depends where you live. I don't know about Cleveland at all. I do know that Milwaukee has an excellent one. Chofetz Chaim has more of an emphasis on emotional development, mussar, and middos than other yeshivas.

Nearly any place that has a yeshiva will also have a BY type high school nearby.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:07 pm
sequoia wrote:
Aha, that's all very well from France. When your daughters come home from school criticizing your wardrobe or reading choices, you'll feel differently.

There will be adapting to do one way or another. I am davka looking for a school allowing chol reading, there is no way I want my daughters to not graduate either. Nor am I looking for the most yeshivish schools by far. I would rather cull some clothing items than be confronted to (even more) major mentality differences. (edited to cull of spelling mistake LOL)

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There will be adapting to do one way or another. I am davka looking for a school allowing chol reading, there is no way I want my daughters to not graduate either. Nor am I looking for the most yeshivish schools by far. I would rather cull some clothing items than be confronted to (even more) major mentality differences. (edited to cull of spelling mistake LOL)

Any non-Lakewood BY and non-Chassidish school will allow chol reading (and will encourage it.)

Sequoia, just accept that Ruchel is not MO, and wants her kids to be in a JPF environment not an MO environment.
OOT American frum schools are very accepting on the whole and I am sure she will find a good fit somewhere that isn't MO.

I am not saying that MO schools are bad - they are an excellent choice for MO people. They just aren't what Ruchel is looking for.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:13 pm
Ftr I still and iyh always will consider myself partly Euro-MO. Just to be clear ladies Smile
My kids school is a mix of Euro-MO to Litvish to chassidish. But this isn't so common in USA, so I will have a choice to make, and I find USA WISE my mentality is closer to modern (chol reading, graduating, pro-choice on the work vs kollel issue, wew) yeshivish...

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:13 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Sequoia, just accept that Ruchel is not MO.

That's funny. She is in the modern orthodox center.

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:17 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Are you sure she is in the American MO center? Because she seems to be explicitly saying that she is not.

Here on imamother we are all united LOL

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:19 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Ftr I still and iyh always will consider myself partly Euro-MO. Just to be clear ladies Smile
My kids school is a mix of Euro-MO to Litvish to chassidish. But this isn't so common in USA, so I will have a choice to make, and I find USA WISE my mentality is closer to modern (chol reading, graduating, pro-choice on the work vs kollel issue, wew) yeshivish...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:20 pm
I had never noticed or be told that the MO center on Imamother is USA-only. If that's true, I apologize for any misleading... though I doubt anyone suffered from my presence lol

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:20 pm
What's wew?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:21 pm
It's me sighing after such long sentence...

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:22 pm
sequoia wrote:

Outside of specific communities, girls in BY/BY-type schools do not do the above. I have a feeling that your view of yeshivish people is distorted by your exposure via online media or whatever community you are familiar with IRL.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:15 am
ectomorph wrote:
lol, this one. Yes it did Smile

So let's say Ner Yisrael in Baltimore, has plenty of boys who go to college (and even a college within the yeshiva) and is very yeshivish.

A little less yeshivish but a good choice for JPF people would be any yeshiva affiliated with Chofetz Chaim. They generally have chol and take it seriously, and most of them are in out of town communities, so that depends where you live. I don't know about Cleveland at all. I do know that Milwaukee has an excellent one. Chofetz Chaim has more of an emphasis on emotional development, mussar, and middos than other yeshivas.

Nearly any place that has a yeshiva will also have a BY type high school nearby.

ectomorph answered your question very well. Ner Yisroel does sound like a good option for you, and Baltimore is a really nice community. They have good girls high school options as well, with very acceptable limudai Chol programs.

I also agree that many of the Chofetz Chaim affiliated high schools would probably be a good match for you. However Milwaukee does not have a girl's high school as far as I know. There is no Chofetz Chaim affiliated school in Cleveland, but the options that are there probably would work for you, and they definitely have a BY type high school. If you are looking for cool weather and cheap tuition, Chofetz Chaim has a branch in Vancouver on the west coast of Canada with cheap tuition because of government subsidies. I'm pretty sure housing is cheap there, too, although I have no clue what options there are for the girls. But it is very "out of town" in terms of frum ammenities (like I doubt there is a real butcher as you asked about in a different thread). I know it was mentioned before, and I'm not sure if you ruled it out already, but I think Chicago might be a good fit for you. A few school options that would probably work.

Pretty much all the BY high schools out of the NY area have strong limudai Chol programs, many with options for college credits including AP courses. (Many of the NY area ones do as well, but not all. But in any case you are not considering NY).

m in Israel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:17 am
sequoia wrote:
Ruchel, if you want your children to get a good education, send them to an MO day school. So they'll celebrate Yom Haatzmaut. So what??? It's ONE day a year. You seriously can't deal with it?

forget Yom Haatzmaut, I don't think there is a MO school anywhere in the country that would meet Ruchel's tuition requirments. In general MO schools are significantly more expensive than more RW ones. Even among the RW schools Ruchel's numbers are cutting it close.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:57 am
I'm confused. Isn't your son a baby? Why are we choosing a high school now? And why in the USA?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:07 am
I look far, always did that way and bh. I would rather avoid another uprooting if I can. In the USA because we each try to lead our lives how we can Wink
(btw no he's not a baby he's starting his second year of school)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics