Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help!! need advice on tallis maintenance!! aaaaahhhhhh!!

Ashrei

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:42 pm
first, sorry for my sensationalistic title. I noticed my posts get 0 or almost 0 replies, so I thought I'd switch it up a bit...

I just bought dh a New tallis. His old one was probably never cleaned, it's all dirty, grey, etc, looks not good and I'll spare other details. How can I prevent that from happening to this one? What's considered good tallis maintenance? (These are dry clean only, right? Any tricks/tips?)

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:51 pm
dry clean them on a more regular basis? I've seen a product called the tzitzis lock (I think) that allows you to wash it in the machine, but I'm not sure it's any good.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:08 pm
Dry clean the tallis once a year. Bring it to a dry cleaner that regularly deals with talleisim. I once read a story about the drycleaner who had never seen a tallis before and untied all the knots in order to wash the stings..

Kitten

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:10 pm
You can hand wash it. It is more practical if you have a bathtub. I use real soap and lukewarm water. Let it soak a bit and then scrub it with your hands.
In any case, if you want it to look always fresh, I would recommend you to clean it regularly because it gets really hard to clean when heavily soiled.

perquacky

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:51 pm
Many dry cleaners in frum neighborhoods will clean them for free. At least, that's been my experience. And the owners weren't necessarily Jewish. They just knew it was good business practice.

Of course, I haven't brought one in for many years. These days, DH keeps his tallis in shul and never remembers to bring it home, so it's not looking as nice as it should.

Brownies

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:17 pm
I wash it in the washing machine on the hand wash setting, with special wool detergent. Stays lovely and soft and doesn't go yellow like it does at the dry cleaners. Ironing it is a bit of a pain though. Which reminds me I want to wash it before Rosh Hashana next week!

Ashrei

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:58 pm
Thanks so much for your advice. I don't think I'll hand wash it (even if I say I will, I know me), and my machine has a delicate cycle, not a hand wash cycle (it's also an old machine)... It seems dry cleaning is the best option unless anyone else has a delicate cycle trick? Or I shouldn't risk it?

(I'd love the name of the dry cleaners that clean them for free tho! That's really something!)

Queen18

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:22 pm
Dry cleaning it will yellow it. It did not work out for me and I ended up purchasing new ones.

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 1:27 am
use nuclear blanc - it makes it almost whte

aqua1

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:48 pm
Dry clean it in a place that is familiar with dealing with taleisim

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:55 pm
Can you wash it in the machine with a silver atarah? I can't imagine that it will be ok in a washing machine?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:46 pm
Take the atoora off

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:51 pm
DH has been dry cleaning his tallis with atara on for years with no problem. He only does it around once a year though. Hasn't yellowed; atara looks fine too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry