Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
South Bend
1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:42 pm
Hullo!
So, I keep hearing contradictory infos on SB!
Some say it's growing constantly, others tell me the high school closed, etc.
Would you send a modern yeshivish there?
How are the schools for such people?
I also heard everything from several to no restaurant, though it's not quite the priority... I wonder !

Peanut2

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:53 pm
Are you looking for you or for someone else?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:55 pm
Me and possibly my dh's cousins who are also looking to leave.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:29 pm
Hopefully someone from there will answer. Look at other threads. Info changes so whatever people said more recently is probably true.

It's a small community so I wouldn't expect a proper restaurant.

I have heard really great things about it, mostly for people who are yeshivish and/or a bit out of the box.

Just realize that the definition of yeshivish is probably a bit different in America and France.

suzyq

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:30 pm
VERY small community. One school (I believe the classes are separate gender, but the building is co-ed). Two shuls. People are VERY warm and friendly and non-materialistic. Cheap to live there, but expensive to keep kosher. There is possibly one restaurant right now, it's one of those things that come and go.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:32 pm
Yes it's really hard to define...

Let's say I want boys to graduate in chol (with tutoring if needed...) and not be the only white shirt.

Girls wise, graduate also, and not a school forbidding reading clean chol for pleasure.

Laid back and not intense on details is better Smile

For the primary school if the classes are separate but in the same building it is absolutely fine. I would be ok with this even later.

Is the primary school "for all Jews", for all shomer shabbes...?

hard day for my spelling LOL

catonmylap

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:42 pm
You are better off picking cities by the girls schools than the boys yeshivot. The boys yeshivot have dorms...

Scranton, Milwaukee, South Bend were always known for the boys yeshivot, not the communities...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:43 pm
I would like to avoid dorm if possible, especially dorm far away. We're really not into it (and it costs a ton often too). I realize it may not be possible, but we would really like to.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:04 pm
In South Bend the school is open to all AFAIK but in reality people who aren't frum do not send there (and probably never would.)

Overall the community is very frum. As in, all (or almost all) women in skirts and sheitels, but some women in short sheitels, stockings, etc.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:14 pm
Ruchel I'm following your threads so thank you Smile . we are thinking of moving and are also really not in to boys dorming away and want a decent secular education but not MO.....

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:15 pm
LOL!! maybe we'll end up the same place Smile

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:02 pm
All I know about Southbend is their boys yeshiva high school is not that strong.... It seems to be attracting boys who didn't do well in other yeshivas.... It used to be a stronger school. That's all I know. Don't yell at me and tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. The school seems to have changed over the past few years, not what it was when we were growing up.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:28 pm
We live in south bend. The past three years I would say averages about 5 new families. There are no restaurants right now. There is a kosher deli/ kosher supermarket. Chicago is 2 hours away for restaurants and cheaper kosher food if you like to stock up on cheaper prices. The kosher market is good at ordering most products. we rarely go to Chicago. There is a school called the south bend hebrew day school. It is co-ed but separates for some classes and gets more separated as the kids get older. However, the genders rarely socialize outside of school especially as they get older due to the type of families that live here. The school claims to be a day school but the less religious or not do not stay for long as the pull of the school and administration is pretty straight. They have a strong secular education as well as Judaic. There is a Beis Yaakov type of high school. There is also a yeshiva but it varies each year on the type of guys it gets. There is bnos, perchi, avos uvanim and ncsy. There is also a kollel. There is a main shul called HOC led by Rabbi Mayer Bulman. which has all minyanim. There is another shul called the torah center led by Rabbi Nebel. This has weekend minyanim, and monthly shabbatons. This is more of an outreach shul. The community is very warm and welcoming. There is even someone here who job it is to help people find jobs in there related field. oh, and there is a sisterhood and the usual chanaka carnivals etc. Please let me know if I can be of any more help. good luck

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:04 pm
how much is tuition?
does the bais yaakov push kollel?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:24 pm
I don't remember the exact amount of tuition charged, I can post the number to the school if you would like to ask them directly. Another unique thing about south bend is that they qualify for the voucher program which gives about a 90% reduction to tuition. So it relatively speaking it is not that expensive. The bais yaakov, only takes local girls so its small and warm. I don't think they push kollel but again the make up the school is dependent on which local families have girls that age. I could post the number so you can ask them directly. I don't happen to have a child that goes there but would def. send there. I have been very impressed with the principal.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:27 pm
Just to clarify, the tuition/ voucher program I was talking about was in regard to the day school. I do not know how much the bais yaakov charges or any scholarship info about it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:02 am
I'm happy my threads serve others, I was getting embarrassed to ask so much !

That said, BY is only high school? middle and high?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:41 am
don't worry Ruchel- may be it's just me but I'm noticing you aren't the only one posting relocating threads lately- there's the northeastern thread, cleveland vs. cincinnati, waterbury 2014 etc.... it seems people are looking to move and I'm sure all the threads are helping others either now or in the future.

about southbend- what's the weather like?

I know about the vouchers but like most things its financially based so we probably won't qualify- ain't it great being jewish middle class- so tuition is a real consideration.

do people stay in southbend or is it more transient?

do you know how long it takes to get to ny?

Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:08 am
I don't mind answering whatever questions I am able to. BYI is the only Jewish high school in south bend. It is an out of town bais yaakov which means it is more flexible than one in a big city. The middle school is part of the day school. The weather is similar to Chicago cold in the winter warm in the summer. It is def. suburban here with greenery and farms. It takes 12 hours to drive to NY, 2 hrs to Chicago, 4 hrs to Cleveland.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:16 am
We've been here for three years. approximately 15 new families have moved in and about three have moved out, some of which came only temperately to work at notre dame. I would guess that the frum community comprises of about 85 families, some of which have been here for a very long time. It is def. a growing community not to say that some people don't move out but you have that everywhere. we are happy here.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating