Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Can I freeze honey cake?

Raw

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:17 pm
Trying to be very organized and make my honey cakes this week. Will they freeze well? Any tips how to wrap and thaw them out?

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:49 pm
For sure!
Wrap in foil, seal in Ziploc bag. Defrost as is on counter (still in foil/bag.)
Sometimes it tastes better after it has been frozen fresh.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:01 pm
Honey cake freezes beautifully as the honey is a humectant and keeps it moist. I don't do anything special, just tightly wrap the loaves in whatever I happen to have on hand: ziplok freezer bags, inner bags that breakfast cereal comes in, bread bags, whatever. Then I put that in another layer of plastic, either a ziplok freezer bag or bread bag or produce bag or even plastic grocery bag, and tie tightly. The "dirty" bags (produce and grocery bags not approved for food storage) are not touching the food. Only food-safe materials touch the food. If I'm being really organized, I slip a label between the two layers showing what kind of cake it is, and if I'm being obsessive-compulsive I include the date. Thaw by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it on the table. Why? How would you expect to thaw it?

Raw

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:57 pm
Great, thanks.

By thaw I meant do I leave to thaw in freezer bag, parchment paper etc. I rarely bake and am always convinced I'm going to mess up the small things.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:59 pm
Raw wrote:
Great, thanks.

By thaw I meant do I leave to thaw in freezer bag, parchment paper etc. I rarely bake and am always convinced I'm going to mess up the small things.
This.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins