Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
What do you do as Entrée/Hors d'œuvre
1  2  Next

Rainbows613

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:00 am
There is no section in the recipe corner for this! Everyone must have a few ideas...

Here is my collection:
-Soup
-Mushroom vol au vents
-Pastry cones with meat/liver inside
-Smoked salmon with egg inside - like a parcel
-Mini meat balls over rice (never actually done this)
-Lasagna roll ups with meat inside
-Sushi
-Punch

Please share yours!

kalsee

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:05 am
potato blintzes or knishes with mushroom sauce
salads with grilled chicken or salmon

wife613

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:08 am
How do you make the pastry cones with meat/liver inside?
Here some more ideas:
- Teriyaki salmon skewers
- wedge of melon/half a grapefruit
- Smoked salmon with salmon pate inside (parcel)
- Salmon in fillo pastry baskets
- bourekas (mincedmeat/potatoe/mushroom)
- Spring rolls

Cant think of anymore at the moment

myself

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:19 am
Fruit cut up in a pretty way with sauce. I usually use fruits with contrasting colors for effect. I've used a variety of the following - pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, blueberries, red grapes, mango. Either decorate the plate with sauce first and then add the fruit, or pour sauce over the fruit. Or just garnish with passion fruit or pomegranate arils.

Blintzes filled with split pea + potato mixture and vegetable sauce
Fruit punch
Ambrosia

Rainbows613

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:20 am
Pastry Cones - You need a metal cone-like an ice cream cone just in metal. You put a tiny bit of oil on the outside then you wrap round 1 layer of strips of puff pastry-bake till golden brown. Cool. Remove metal cone. They keep nicely for a week or so in an airtight container-or else freeze carefully. Then I serve it as a starter filled with liver or minced meat with mushroom sauce..

How do you make the fillo pastry baskets? And do you make your own spring rolls?

wife613

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:31 am
Fillo pastry baskets- buy fillo pastry cut into suquares, then take a double layer spread with oil then put another double layer on top so it looks a bit like a star. Put into a muffin tin (I line with bakewell first) then bake at 180 c till golden. Keep an eye on them they burn really fast! they keep for a few weeks in an airtight container. If you sprinkle with sugar then you could use them for ice cream too. I am going to try using wontons for yom tov and see if it works as well.
Sorry never made spring rolls. Was just an idea. I have seen recipes though.

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:01 am
salmon ontop of angel hair pasta
grilled chicken pieces over salad
small chicken skewers
mini meatballs over rice

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:11 am
DH loves hot soup no matter what the weather is. I always make soup in the crockpot for shabbos lunch. I serve dips/spreads and crudités/crackers for people to nosh on before the soup comes out.

I have to get more creative when I have guests in the summer because most people are not interested in hot soup then.

I've done:
-fruit soup
-stuffed mushrooms (with or without pastrami)
-deconstructed falafel
-salmon and pattypan squash
-slice of melon with wedge of lime
-watermelon, heirloom tomato, and basil salad
-other things that I can't remember right now

tovli toraspicha

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:04 am
momX4 wrote:
salmon ontop of angel hair pasta
grilled chicken pieces over salad
small chicken skewers
mini meatballs over rice

How do you dress the angel hair pasta?

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:18 am
tovli toraspicha wrote:
How do you dress the angel hair pasta?

Angel hair pasta

1/2 box angel hair pasta cooked.

Saute 4 cubes of garlic in 3/4 cup of olive oil
and bunch of sliced scallions
2 tsp salt
2 TBS dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper

Saute a few minutes and then add (I skip this part)
5 plum diced tomatoes.
Mix and remove from heat

Mix with cooked pasta. serve on plate. Place salmon ontop.

shaini

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:43 am
Instead of gefilte fish I make small tuna patties.

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 6:50 pm
myself wrote:
Fruit cut up in a pretty way with sauce. I usually use fruits with contrasting colors for effect. I've used a variety of the following - pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, blueberries, red grapes, mango. Either decorate the plate with sauce first and then add the fruit, or pour sauce over the fruit. Or just garnish with passion fruit or pomegranate arils.

this is a great idea for the second night rosh hashana, when you need to have new fruit.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 10:21 pm
I like to do bars-
Salad bar
Sushi salad bar
Taco bar
Falafel bar

thanks

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:28 am
My daughter was assigned in 4th grade to bring in a recipe for an appetizer (forshpeiz). She asked the teacher what that is. The teacher said "it's what you eat before the meal". When she came home she told me, "Mommy, do you know you need to eat meatballs or a knish before the meal?"

We had a good laugh. I skip the entree. In fact, sometimes, I make a hearty meat soup for a night meal, and that's it. With so many yomtov meals, no one wants or needs anything else. I used to put out more, but it all came back to kitchen.

Ladies, keep your ears open this yomtov. You will hear so many people kvetching, "I ate too much", "oish another meal", "we have to eat again",etc. Don't do it. Keep your sanity and enjoy your yomtov.

Last edited by thanks on Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

frosting

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:51 am
Rutabaga wrote:
DH loves hot soup no matter what the weather is. I always make soup in the crockpot for shabbos lunch. I serve dips/spreads and crudités/crackers for people to nosh on before the soup comes out.

I have to get more creative when I have guests in the summer because most people are not interested in hot soup then.

I've done:
-fruit soup
-stuffed mushrooms (with or without pastrami)
-deconstructed falafel
-salmon and pattypan squash
-slice of melon with wedge of lime
-watermelon, heirloom tomato, and basil salad
-other things that I can't remember right now

can you please post the recipe?? sounds yum!!!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:01 am
I'm following this thread. I guess it can be merged with my appetizer idea thread.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:12 am
I just wanted to clarify that an entree is a main course. Appetizer would be another way to refer to the first course or hors doeuvers.

calaflower

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:16 am
Wow. I'm impressed! The array of ideas for an appetizer is amazing! Honestly we don't do appetizers because the little ones won't eat anything after it if I do... But when we go away or have guests I put in the effort- our favorite- hearty vegetable soup in a small ramekins with a piece of flaky dough covering the ramekin then gets baked a little extra for the dough to get puffy... This is especially good for Succos

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:29 am
frosting wrote:
can you please post the recipe?? sounds yum!!!

I don't really have a recipe for stuffed mushrooms, but here goes:

Buy really big button mushrooms. My supermarket labels them as stuffing mushrooms.

Clean the mushrooms then gently remove the stems in order to leave a hole for stuffing.

Finely chop some onion, celery, and the mushroom stems. Sauté the veggies and add spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley).

Remove from heat and mix in an egg and some bread crumbs until the stuffing mixture loosely sticks together.

Spray the mushrooms with PAM so they wont dry out too much in the oven. Stuff the mushrooms - mound some stuffing on top too, not just in the holes.

Bake at 350 until mushrooms are tender. They will shrink a lot. Don't overcook.

Serve warm.

Optional: Buy some thinly sliced pastrami. Cut it into small bits and throw it in with the veggies when they're almost done sautéing. Cut down on the salt when seasoning the stuffing.

I like to serve 3 mushrooms per person with a piece of lettuce underneath to add some color to the plate. I didn't give quantities above because the amount of onion or celery or breadcrumbs will depend on how many mushrooms you are making.

November

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:00 am
shaini wrote:
Instead of gefilte fish I make small tuna patties.

Can you post the recipe for your tuna patties? Do you serve them with any sauce?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus