Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Offer for car that fell through

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:01 am
My husband has a friend for whom he has done many, many favors.

This friend has two minivans. we do not own any.

A few months ago the friend offered to lend us one of his cars if we should ever need it. I stress that we didn't ask, he offered.

Last week we needed to take my daughter's bicycle to be repaired so we thought this would be a good opportunity. We called him before shabbos to ask if the car would be available on sunday. He said fine.

Sunday morning we called, he said he'd call us back when the car was ready.

He finally got back to us late Sunday afternoon to say that we could use the car, but by then it was too late to go out.

My husband said that it was a favor anyway, he really did not have to offer at all, so we have no right to be annoyed.

I'm okay with him saying the car is not available, but I'm annoyed at being strung along instead of him saying upfront that it wasn't going to work out. (We also need to figure out how to get the bike to the bicycle shop without spending more than the repair is worth.)

Re: the bicycle, we bought it during the summer when I had a car rental. We bought a warranty but the catch is that we need to bring the bike back to the store which is only accessible for us by car. We didn't think of that detail when we paid for the warranty.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:35 am
Sunday is a day that people are off from work, and are not as available (and their cars along with them).

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 12:46 pm
Did you tell them when you needed it on Sunday, or just Sunday? It sounds like it was available Sunday, just not the hours you needed. They may have thought you needed it to go out in the evening, maybe for dinner. You might need to be more specific next time, and then both of you will know where you stand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette