Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How to make 6 lbs challah in small oven...shifts?

ludicrous

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:42 pm
we just moved to eretz yisroel and I have a smaller oven than I had in America. I still want to make 5-6 pounds challah, but I need to do it in shifts, because I need proper circulation in the oven and I don't have enough room in my oven for all the dough at the same time.
how should I bake in in shifts, meaning, what should I do with the dough while the first batch is baking? I don't want it to rise too much that it collapses?
what do you all do if you have a small oven and you want to make a lot of challah
I hope my question is clear
any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thank you

rachel6543

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:57 pm
When I make a lot of challah at one time I bake in shifts too. I have one oven and can only fit 2 sheets at a time of challah. I've just left my challah on the table while baking in batches, it comes out fine. I also make smaller size challahs. I sometimes make pull apart style challahs and find I can fit 3 pans on one rack when I do that, so I can bake more at one time. If you're concerned about rising too much, I think you should be able to store some of dough in the frig. It'll still rise, but much slower.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:08 pm
You can refrigerate the shaped dough, take out about 10 minutes before ready to put in oven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads