Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby won't nurse

solo

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:09 pm
Ds is 6 weeks. He's been breas fed with a daily bottle and doing fine. The last two feeds he was fussy and seemed stiff like he needed to burp. Now he won't nurse at all. Screams when I try. But drank a bottle nicely. Any ideas??

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:45 pm
It can be lots of things:

Too little milk/too much milk
nursing strike
ear pain

It's best to not give a bottle if it's a nursing strike or the baby might learn to prefer that over nursing. If it's not better by tomorrow, you can have the dr check his ears to see if it's an infection. Try to get him to eat at night while he's asleep or while he's just falling asleep.

asp40

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:03 pm
He is preferring the bottle. Try to cut out the bottle and let him nurse before he is hungry.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:13 pm
Check to see if he has a nursing blister/scab. It's on the upper lip and totally normal but if it comes off/loose, it can hurt to nurse. Once it scabs over it might be ok. It happened to mine once and a day or two later (ate in between, just not liking it) was ok.
How's your let down? If you produced a lot of milk, you can be streaming to the back of his throat and choking him accidentally. Let down for a few minutes in a clean bottle and serve it to him later.
He also might be preferring a bottle to breast feeding so don't give him the bottle and if he's hungry enough- he'll nurse.
Hatzlacha rabba and Hugs !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics