Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I could use a smile in Passaic...
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:08 am
...please. Smile

We just pulled into town two days ago. We've had some struggles, and we have no place to live as of right now....and we have our 6 kids with us. We've made I don't know how many phone calls, and left messages with many people, but can't seem to get ahold of anyone.

Maybe you've seen us, the big 15 passenger van pulling the 12 foot long uhaul up and down the Frum neighborhood (our storage space fell through and we can't find anywhere to even park the trailer, let alone store our stuff...). I'm sure we're quite the sight.

We moved here because we loved everything we read about the community, because our community was very, very small and we longed to be a part of a larger community, and because dh got a great job nearby.

We left our home in northwest usa a week ago. We're tired, a little discouraged, and fairly nervous about no home and Rosh Hashana coming up just next week.
Since we've been here I've been stared at, and even laughed at.
Please, if you see me, just give me a smile. It would go a long way toward making me feel better.
Thanks! :-)

monseychick

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:16 am
Did you speak to Rabbi Ron Eisenman , I think he is Rov of Adas ..

He is a very big mensh and very big baal Chesed . Maybe he can help you. I have a few friends there. PM me.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:52 am
I am out of town right now, but have posted your message to one of the message groups in Passaic - I'm sure you'll get some results. Hatzlochah and welcome!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:53 am
Have you called the Jewish Family Service?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 7:09 am
op- your post made me want to cry. I"m not usually on imamother at this hour but my baby is awake....

I wish I could pm you-would prefer not to out my screenname if possible. Is there any way to contact you? You can probably park your trailer by me- I live in Clifton. I know the cops got called on my neighbor's trailer but when they came and asked about it I told them it was legitimate and they left. We don't have alternate side parking.

If you don't get any leads post here I'll make up an e-mail account. Rabbi Eisenman is the rabbi at Ahavas.

We live there and are probably going to be moving out to a "small community"- lets just say there are pros and cons to both.

Consider this a very very very big smile, welcoming you to passaic

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:00 am
So sorry you didn't get the welcome that you deserve! I moved here recently & I've been recovering pp with a very bad infection, so I have not been out much, nor can I invite anyone. But a huge Baruch habbah to you & your family! I hope you find a place soon!!
There is a Passaic group on yahoo and fb - perhaps if you join, ppl can help you find a place to stay. Hugs!
Anon bec of personal details & location.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:07 pm
Thank you all so much, your replies have helped me feel better. :-)

We have tried Jewish a Family Services multiple times, but cannot get ahold of anyone. We have contacted Rabbi Eisenman and he is helping us as much as he can. Smile

amother wrote:
op- your post made me want to cry. I"m not usually on imamother at this hour but my baby is awake....

I wish I could pm you-would prefer not to out my screenname if possible. Is there any way to contact you? You can probably park your trailer by me- I live in Clifton. I know the cops got called on my neighbor's trailer but when they came and asked about it I told them it was legitimate and they left. We don't have alternate side parking.

If you don't get any leads post here I'll make up an e-mail account. Rabbi Eisenman is the rabbi at Ahavas.

We live there and are probably going to be moving out to a "small community"- lets just say there are pros and cons to both.

Consider this a very very very big smile, welcoming you to passaic

Amother, thank you for your sweet words. We may take you up on it. It's so hard to drive around pulling that huge thing. I made an email address you could email me at, it's: picklesandcream6@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:30 pm
Oy... You moved but don't have anyplace to live? How did that happen? That must be hard on your kids.

It sounds like you need more than just a smile, you need a place to live. What can people do to help make that happen? Do you have any leads on apartments? Do you need help finding a place? Is it a financial issue? What needs to happen to get you guys into a normal apartment?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:51 pm
my husband said you can probably park in the back of beis shalom it's the synagogue on passaic avenue right next to allwood avenue- if you are coming from passaic it will be on your left.

boysrus

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:54 pm
not in Passaic, but hatzlacha finding a home very very fast! how super stressful! may your life always go smoothly from now on, and may you settle into the community very fast. sorry I don't even have any friends or contacts in Passaic, but I wish I was there to help you...

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:55 pm
Next time, find a place and then move. Much easier. G' luck!

harriet

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:

Not so helpful Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:02 pm
previous amother- there is a nice playground that you can see from the parkinglot- your kids probably could use some fun. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:

My sister made an aliyah with a couple of kids. A friend BH found her a temporary apartment while she was mid-air!!!!! Its not always so simple, and sometimes things fall through.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:46 pm
op how are you doing? did you park in beis shalom. I'm the amother who had offered in front of her house but I think you are probably better off at beis shalom which is why I posted it ( I'm the same amother), just wanted to make sure it worked out for you?
please keep us posted. I keep thinking about you.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:03 pm
where are you sleeping at night?

Are your kids in school yet?

It's good that you reached out. I'm sure help is on the way soon.

Are you looking to rent or buy? I know of a small house for sale in the center of Passaic.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 4:03 am
Attn: Passaic/Clifton Amothers

I met the OP and her family today to try to help put her in contact with people who can help her. I'm tied up right now so can't help myself. Please contact Bikur Cholim if you can help with hachnosas orchim over Shabbos or Yom Tov, or if you can help in some other way. OP also posted an email address earlier in this thread. I have seen such wonderful chesed from the community - let's show what we're capable of!

cking

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:14 am
Hi, I live in Passaic and would like to welcome you to the neighborhood. It really is a very friendly, warm community. Don't worry - you'll find your place here. Beginnings are hard (some more than others!) but I don't think you will regret moving here. I don't have any extra bedrooms at all, or else I would offer a place to stay, but there is a family Farrell that has a basement apartment that they rent out, I believe. Their names are Al and Devorah Farrell. If you can't find their number, let me know and I can e-mail it to you. Let me know if there is anything specific you need - a meal on Shabbos/Yom tov? Edna Ritz sets people up for Shabbos - I can also e-mail you her number if you want it.

Hope you find your place here soon and that your kids settle in quickly! Again, welcome. You are in a really great community.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:06 am
gold21 wrote:
Oy... You moved but don't have anyplace to live? How did that happen? That must be hard on your kids.

It sounds like you need more than just a smile, you need a place to live. What can people do to help make that happen? Do you have any leads on apartments? Do you need help finding a place? Is it a financial issue? What needs to happen to get you guys into a normal apartment?

OP here.

Sometimes things don't go the way we think and we just have to deal with the alternative...

The biggest hurdle has been that we haven't really been able to get ahold of anyone. We've made many calls and left piles of messages but barely are getting replies, except from those who tell us they can't help or that their apartment has already been rented.

Yesterday a very kind woman introduced herself to us and made several phone calls to help us out, which was SUCH a help! And we have a lead on a house for rent, the owner wants to meet with dh today.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
op how are you doing? did you park in beis shalom. I'm the amother who had offered in front of her house but I think you are probably better off at beis shalom which is why I posted it ( I'm the same amother), just wanted to make sure it worked out for you?
please keep us posted. I keep thinking about you.

OP here.

We did call Beis Shalom but just left a message. We're going to try to call again right now. Smile

Since I started this thread, we have had so much chizuk, it's been amazing. We are so thankful!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating