Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food for long trip

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:11 am
My son's yeshiva sorted out the tickets o Uman this year, though I woldn't do something like they did, but the idea was also to take the bachurim to kivrei tzadikkim on the way to uman my dh and youngest are alos joining...

so on the way back isn't a prob the have a direct flight from kiev to TLV but going is problematic, they are flying ELAL UP to Hungary Budapest so that means no food on the plane, then they have a long bus ride from Buudapest to Uman, I can make some sandwickes, but most won't keep. so say with empy unfilled roll,s or crackers, what can I send them besides tuna and salami? eggs prob won't keep and I don't want something that makes a big mess, I'm not sure if pickles ior corn are a good idea.

also what can I send that is child friendly cus my kids arr picky eaters, besides for nush....

are there any kugels, casseroles I could make that won't go bad? also is hard cheese ok?

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:19 am
I don't understand. You want to send them food for the plane, or for the entire trip? Will they have a refrigerator?

I don't think it's considerate of other passengers to send someone on a plane with tuna fish and pickles. That kind of food leaks and is smelly.

And if they are flying El Al, why does that mean no food on the plane? Can't they order the mehadrin meal?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:53 am
1) Pita bread filled with cooked tivall shnitzel, or tuna cutlets (spread lightly with ketchup/mayo if they like that)
2) Disposable container and plastic fork - cooked pasta mixed with tuna, whatever veg they like and mayo/ketchup
3) Some processed cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated

All of the above won't last for days, but should be for a good long while fridgeless!

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't understand. You want to send them food for the plane, or for the entire trip? Will they have a refrigerator?

I don't think it's considerate of other passengers to send someone on a plane with tuna fish and pickles. That kind of food leaks and is smelly.

And if they are flying El Al, why does that mean no food on the plane? Can't they order the mehadrin meal?

1 ELAL came up with a new thing, to certain destinations they are using a low cost, airline which is similar to easyjet, it's owned by ELAL but it's called up.

http://www.flyup.com/he/israel.....SEATQ
here's more info on the site

http://www.flyup.com/en/israel......aspx

so there there is no food, for the plane I am sending sandwiches, not tuna though I have many times made myself tuna sandwhiches for the plane. ready made....

but what I'm referring to is the bus trip from budapest to uman...

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:02 pm
Hard cheese, falafel, veggie sausages tend to be ok for up to 24hours.
Or peanut butter, hummus (esp individual pots). Tinned tuna or sardines but not on plane.
If you're making sandwiches, DO NOT USE MAYO. Anything with mayo can spoil much quickly.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:27 pm
I am amayomother - I didn't know that! embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics