Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you live in Israel and have a cleaner?!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:27 am
m in Israel wrote:
I buy this. But it gets hard and clumpy so quickly. I really can't figure out why. And then it is very hard to use or comes out in clumps that don't dissolve well and taste really awful. I don't use much onion powder in any case, so it is not a big deal to me, but I really would like to understand why this happens!

Is it like Sanguine said -- the weather? Do the American brands also clump here (I've never brought any over so I don't know)?
I checked my closet and I actually do have a refill bag of maya and it's solid - not even opened. I looked for it cause my Spice Classics is filled with clumps.

June

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:27 am
m in Israel wrote:
I buy this. But it gets hard and clumpy so quickly. I really can't figure out why. And then it is very hard to use or comes out in clumps that don't dissolve well and taste really awful. I don't use much onion powder in any case, so it is not a big deal to me, but I really would like to understand why this happens!

Is it like Sanguine said -- the weather? Do the American brands also clump here (I've never brought any over so I don't know)?

I just bought a new one about a month ago, and surprisingly, it hasn't clumped yet. And I keep it in the fridge.

When my spices clump, I make sure the cover is closed tightly, and shake the container vigorously. It usually generates enough powder to use that one time.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:45 am
I think the Israeli brands make them clump on purpose to get even with us Olim - Any true Israeli cuts fresh onions daily and would never dream of using onion powder

Tweedy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:59 am
Sanguine wrote:
I joined this discussion a day late (wasn't here yesterday). I don't understand this thread. OP - Get off of Imamother if you can't handle reading about people who have more (financially) than you. If you're having a hard time dealing financially come to LII and we'll discuss costs and how we live here. I just don't get why you started this thread. You don't live in America. It's a very different life here. (I know that my niece in America worked as a teacher and for the hours she needed a babysitter it just paid to get a live-in). And a box of Wacky Mac cost .69 there not 10 shekel! (But a mehadrin Etrog is just 95 shekel - $30 here)

OP - Sometimes we feel like venting or showing off ("why do they have to shlep my 3rd grader to Maarat HaMachpela for Slichot at midnight?? If I lived in America I'd have a nanny to wait up for her return at 1 AM" Scratching Head). OP - If you're having a hard time, come to LII and we'll all discuss how we manage. Don't be jealous. Don't go attacking other people's lives. Everyone chooses their life. You have to be happy with your choice. Sometimes I see here Kollel wives kvetching about finances. I feel like yelling - Tell your husband to get a job!! But I know that steak for dinner every night wouldn't make their lives richer. Their husband learning does. That's the life they chose.

There are hundreds of things on the scale of weighing happiness. If you're happy where you live that's a big plus. If you can't live without onion powder, that's a (small) minus. Keep raising your pluses and if the minuses are too big make a big change in your life, but other people's lives aren't in the equation (and I think people shouldn't have answered your anon post - You just wanted to start up. To elevate yourself you don't have to push down other people).

Off topic sorry, I really can't get onion powder here? Haven't had any luck yet! What about creamed corn? Sorry new ola

ally

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:24 am
Tweedy wrote:
Off topic sorry, I really can't get onion powder here? Haven't had any luck yet! What about creamed corn? Sorry new ola

I've yet to see creamed corn. I have tried blending regular canned corn and adding almond milk. It was ok (for corn patties).
You can get onion powder in some spice stores but it tends to clump quickly.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:29 am
ally wrote:
I've yet to see creamed corn. I have tried blending regular canned corn and adding almond milk. It was ok (for corn patties).
You can get onion powder in some spice stores but it tends to clump quickly.

I've seen it. In Superdeal IIRC.

ally

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:32 am
etky wrote:
I've seen it. In Superdeal IIRC.

Regular Superdeal? Or Superdeal deal? Or Superdeal sheli?
Just kidding (but what is with that?)

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:40 am
Tweedy wrote:
Off topic sorry, I really can't get onion powder here? Haven't had any luck yet!

I got my Mia refill bag in a regular supermarket (don't remember which). Do you want me to send it to you? It's a solid brick now and won't fit in my old shaker.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:45 am
I use dried garlic and onion instead of powder because it clumps so quickly.

http://www.yashir4u.co.il/%D7%......aspx

m in Israel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:47 am
Tweedy wrote:

As you can see from the earlier link, onion powder is now available her from Maya.

Creamed corn, on the other hand. . .there actually is a supermarket here in RBS --- Best Market -- that carries it (imported from the U.S. and costs a fortune, but it is here.)

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:07 am
OK - I think we're way OT. We're supposed to be outraged about our lack of nannies (wouldn't have room to put one anyhow) and instead we're outraged about our lack of onion powder and creamed corn!! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter OP - get your priorities straight.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:50 am
I miss the onion powder. Also the cucumber, melon, leek, and garlic powder. Also the free fish. It was so un-fishy ...

etky

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:54 am
imasoftov wrote:
I miss the onion powder. Also the cucumber, melon, leek, and garlic powder.

LOL. You forgot the fish....

etky

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:55 am
imasoftov wrote:
I miss the onion powder. Also the cucumber, melon, leek, and garlic powder. Also the free fish. It was so un-fishy ...

I see you didn't after all.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:16 am
I'm in the US and my onion powder (big container, maybe Tones brand?) is clumped up. My garlic powder on the other hand always flows freely...

m in Israel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:20 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm in the US and my onion powder (big container, maybe Tones brand?) is clumped up. My garlic powder on the other hand always flows freely...

There are two types of garlic powder -- the regular one which is subject to the same clumping issues as onion powder, and the "granulated" one which is specially processed (do I really want to know how? Confused ) to pour more easily. Believe it or not, the granulated version of garlic is also available here in Israel (it is called "shum gevishi" instead of "avkat shum").

Dawling

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:16 pm
My first reaction to your thread title was: "wow! I'll be so happy to refer to her some great Anglo cleaners & a cleaning company that I use, if she lives in the Jlem area". (All are booked up until after the Chagim, though.)
After all, us Anglos who made Aliyah already have so much to adjust to, so one less thing to worry about would be great.
But then I read the rest of your post and, well, let's just say, I was a little disappointed.
Yup, everyone is entitled to their opinion and my guess is that the responses you got (which I'm about to go back and read) is just that.

B'hatzlacha and Shana Tova!

Dawling

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:34 pm
Ok, so now that I've read the responses I see how offended many people are and how important it is to correct misconceptions some people have.
When I was single, an elderly Rebbetzin advised me "spend your money on cleaning help and save yourself for your husband and your kids."
I took her words to heart. We live very bare bones but we have cleaning help.
To some people it might look like "spoilt or lazy" but to us, it's quite smart.
We have a beautiful marriage, a peaceful home and a happy relaxed mommy.
Obviously, everyone has their own priorities.
Which do you prefer?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:37 pm
I just made Aliyah from The United States. I don't understand the cleaning products or the system. So I hired a cleaning woman to help me out. But honestly it felt weird having a frum America. Woman clean my floors. There aren't any Hispanics here to clean. I feel really uncomfortable about having a frum cleaning woman. Maybe that is why so many Israelis don't have cleaning people because it could be your next door neighbor or your cousin seeing your mess.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
I just made Aliyah from The United States. I don't understand the cleaning products or the system. So I hired a cleaning woman to help me out. But honestly it felt weird having a frum America. Woman clean my floors. There aren't any Hispanics here to clean. I feel really uncomfortable about having a frum cleaning woman. Maybe that is why so many Israelis don't have cleaning people because it could be your next door neighbor or your cousin seeing your mess.
I dont know who you are or where you live, but I have to tell you that your post is very judgmental and hurtful. First of all, I know that there is at least one poster from Israel here (dont know if she posts so much anymore) who actually cleans for a living. She is from america originally.
Second of all, what you find to be uncomfortable others find nice. I have neighbors who have a frum woman from a neighboring yishuv come clean. I think it would be so nice to have that.
And you are saying something terrible about hispanics as well, if you could not tell.
As for having a friend or cousin cleaning, there is nothing, I repeat, nothing degrading about cleaning someone's house. It is a job and in israel, not a badly paying one either and that is all. Please dont say your thoughts to anyone in real life. Because most people here in israel do NOT think that way.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry