Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Please help me not ruin my meat this year
1  2  Next

flmommy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:20 am
I am horrible at cooking meat. Other then Yom tov I NEVER cook a roast or fleish other then chicken. On Yom tov I always make my mothers recipe for pot roast and it comes out horrible. I usually buy a silver tip roast. Can somebody who makes nice soft meat give me a not too complicated recipe please? I need to know what cut meat to buy as well. I don't care if I make it stove top or oven just that its soft and delicious. I know everyone is busy so thanks in advance.

working hard

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:05 am
basic easy recipe that works for almost any meat:

peel and slice a lot of onions. Put meat in large pot on top of onions. Put on paprika and garlic powder. Add water until 2/3 of the level of the meat. Boil up the water. Once it is boiling, turn down until it is a low boil - just enough that you see small bubbles, and boil for 5-6 hours, covered. Check if you need to add more water periodically.

After at least 5 hours, take off meat, turn it over and let it cool in the gravy until it is cold. Chill fully in fridge (I do overnight) before slicing.
warm in its gravy and serve.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:06 am
I use a 5lb. chuck roast. It is not a lean roast, like the silver tip. I use METHOD X from Food Wishes (google search the video). Even though the recipe says it has to be done with a bone in rib roast, it works fine with the chuck roast, not sure if it's ok with other roasts.
I don't use the "butter" (margarine) like he says, I use olive oil instead.
Also you are going to need a deli slicer machine. This is the one I have.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Riva.....57101

Unless you know how to slice it thin. Third make the roast ONLY when you don't need the oven, since you shouldn't open the oven for 2+ hours.
If you do open the oven, it's ok since you are going to reheat it.

1. Preheat oven to 500. You read correctly 500.
2 Smear olive oil all around the roast.
3. Sprinkle kosher salt, you need a lot because it will not penetrate the thickness of the meat.
4. Sprinkle what ever else you want (garlic, pepper, etc). Or NOT.
5. Put it in the oven. DO NOT COVER. This way it will sear nicely on the outside and stay moist on the inside.
6. Calculate the min. lbs. x 5min (watch the video)
7. Shut the oven off and DO NOT OPEN for 2 hrs.
8. Take it out of the juice and save the juice.
9. Wrap and put into the refrigerator over night. (NO JUICE)
10. The next day slice very thinly , and freeze if you want. The meat will be rare, but you are going to heat it slice and it will cook through.
11. Keep juice separate. You can skim off the fat by placing it in the refrigerator, and taking off the top hard layer. (I do this)
12. When you are ready to serve, defrost the meat, or not, up to you.
13. Heat the juice, and add anything you want. I add duck sauce or apricot jelly to taste. You may need to adjust the juice with water, or another liquid like wine or orange juice, since it will be salty, but don't make it too bland.
14. Reduce the juice to half, taste, and adjust to your liking.
You can thicken it up with corn starch if you like. I don't.
15. Pour the hot juice over the sliced meat and heat.

If you do decide to use this method PM me. I'm curious if it works for you, like it works for me.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:14 am
I still think the best meat is flanken which are basically spareribs cut across. They are super fatty which translates to very moist, succulent meat.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:36 am
Soft? You need to speak to the butcher about which cuts are considered tender and soft. Meat is not necessarily soft, so buying a cut with the potential to be soft will be your first step.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:37 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Soft? You need to speak to the butcher about which cuts are considered tender and soft. Meat is not necessarily soft, so buying a cut with the potential to be soft will be your first step.

Slicing it thinly is the secret. That's why I use a slicing machine.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:42 am
cbg wrote:
Slicing it thinly is the secret. That's why I use a slicing machine.

I wouldn't dare slice up a steak... the thicker the better.
What kind of meat are you speaking about?

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:52 am
flmommy wrote:
I am horrible at cooking meat. Other then Yom tov I NEVER cook a roast or fleish other then chicken. On Yom tov I always make my mothers recipe for pot roast and it comes out horrible. I usually buy a silver tip roast. Can somebody who makes nice soft meat give me a not too complicated recipe please? I need to know what cut meat to buy as well. I don't care if I make it stove top or oven just that its soft and delicious. I know everyone is busy so thanks in advance.

Silver tip roasts are delicious and tender, but not what I would call "soft." I have a good recipe, but I can't recall it all. I'll post tonight if you like. I do recall that it involves making slits in the roast and putting in slices of garlic, then seasoning the outside of the roast.

If you want "soft," go for a second cut brisket. Slice onions and place in pan. Season brisket with salt, pepper and garlic. Place on top of onions. Mix 1 cup ketchup, one half cup water, and some onion soup mix (or garlic, dried onions and salt) and pour over brisket. Bake, covered at 350, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Its foolproof.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:59 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I wouldn't dare slice up a steak... the thicker the better.
What kind of meat are you speaking about?

She was speaking about a chuck roast, which is my go-to everytime too. Melts in your mouth (when cooked right) but a good knife (or an electric knife) is what I use to slice

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:03 am
superdanni wrote:
She was speaking about a chuck roast, which is my go-to everytime too. Melts in your mouth (when cooked right) but a good knife (or an electric knife) is what I use to slice

Sorry. Missed that.

Aren't you afraid of it getting dried out when so thin?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:21 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Sorry. Missed that.

Aren't you afraid of it getting dried out when so thin?

It's cut after it's cooked (and then there is likely a sauce or meat juices that it's sitting in)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:37 am
Barbara wrote:
Silver tip roasts are delicious and tender, but not what I would call "soft." I have a good recipe, but I can't recall it all. I'll post tonight if you like. I do recall that it involves making slits in the roast and putting in slices of garlic, then seasoning the outside of the roast.

If you want "soft," go for a second cut brisket. Slice onions and place in pan. Season brisket with salt, pepper and garlic. Place on top of onions. Mix 1 cup ketchup, one half cup water, and some onion soup mix (or garlic, dried onions and salt) and pour over brisket. Bake, covered at 350, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Its foolproof.

This is pretty much my go to recipe for brisket, though I don't put in pepper, garlic, water and use less ketchup. (I'm sorry, am I sounding like one of those recipe comments where by the end of the comment the recipe's been tweaked beyond recognition, and DOESN'T COME OUT RIGHT SO YOU'RE ONLY GETTING HALF A STAR? Wink )
And I start off with a sheet of foil, put onions on, then roast etc. Cover tightly with foil and then bake.
After it's done, I separate the roast from the gravy and refrigerate overnight. I then slice the roast, on the thin side, place in pan or even zipper bag, skim fat off the gravy, pour gravy over meat, then freeze till needed. Reheats wonderfully.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:11 am
Silver tip roast, according to my butcher, is meant to cook like roast beef - rare to medium - not to sit in a pot for hours and hours. You need a fattier piece of meat for that. That should solve your problem.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:07 pm
As others have sort of said, there is meat that is meant to be cooked until rare- medium rare (steak, london broil, prime rib, lamb chops, etc.) and there is meat that is best cooked until it's very well done and sort of falls apart (brisket, beef shank, beef cheek, chuck roast, etc.).

Which do you prefer? The former will either be in steak form or in thin slices when you serve it and the latter will be more stew-like. I typically don't have success with brisket, maybe I just don't like brisket but have made very delicious meals with beef cheek, beef shank, lamb chops, ribs, prime rib and london broil.

flmommy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:13 pm
Thank you everybody. Barbara I'm going to try your recipe. If meat wasn't so expensive I would do a trial run

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:13 pm
Preheat the oven to 400 F. There should be no other food in the oven.

Line a pan with THREE LONG layers of tin foil, going in opposite directions, sideways and longways, very loooong pieces of tinfoil. Do not stint the tinfoil.

Now, chuck some spices into the bottom on top of the tinfoil: some garlic powder and black pepper. Maybe some onion powder too, if you want. NO salt.

Take the silver tip roast, about 5 pounds, and pat it dry with paper towels.

Plunk it into the pan.

Chuck the same spices as before on the top of the meat.

Press the tinfoil closely around the meat, as if you were wrapping a package. This keeps the meat moist.

Place the pan in the high-middle part of the oven.

Set a timer for THREE hours. Don't open the oven at all.

Exactly three hours later, take it out to cool, still wrapped, on top of the oven. It also eats well cold, sliced, with mustard.

This is foolproof and easy.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:25 pm
flmommy wrote:
Silvertip roast is one cut of meat I stear clear of.
If you need a no fail cut of meat use 2nd cut brisket.

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:28 pm
cbg wrote:
I use a 5lb. chuck roast. It is not a lean roast, like the silver tip. I use METHOD X from Food Wishes (google search the video). Even though the recipe says it has to be done with a bone in rib roast, it works fine with the chuck roast, not sure if it's ok with other roasts.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Riva.....57101

Unless you know how to slice it thin. Third make the roast ONLY when you don't need the oven, since you shouldn't open the oven for 2+ hours.

3. Sprinkle kosher salt, you need a lot because it will not penetrate the thickness of the meat.
5. Put it in the oven. DO NOT COVER. This way it will sear nicely on the outside and stay moist on the inside.
10. The next day slice very thinly , and freeze if you want. The meat will be rare, but you are going to heat it slice and it will cook through.
11. Keep juice separate. You can skim off the fat by placing it in the refrigerator, and taking off the top hard layer. (I do this)
13. Heat the juice, and add anything you want. I add duck sauce or apricot jelly to taste. You may need to adjust the juice with water, or another liquid like wine or orange juice, since it will be salty, but don't make it too bland.

If you do decide to use this method PM me. I'm curious if it works for you, like it works for me.

Leave meat at room temperature OVER NIGHT??? Surprised shock
That's horrible!!! That's not safe at all raw meat should not be left at room temperature at all ! Bacteria multiplies every like 20 minutes its out: It could make someone sick c"v !
I feel sick thinking about it Puke

Blue jay

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:34 pm
shhhhhhhhhhh! dont tell anyone my secret recipe Smile

Take the roast, throw it in the oven with some orange juice about 1/4 cup and a pack of onion soup mix. If you want to get fancy add some sliced carrots.

Bake uncovered at 375 for 1- 1.5 hours. Check around an hour if the meat looks bouncy and firm.

Never fails, and everyone gobbles it up. Smile

goodmorning

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:58 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:

cbg wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Riva.....er/3957101

Leave meat at room temperature OVER NIGHT??? Surprised shock
That's horrible!!! That's not safe at all raw meat should not be left at room temperature at all ! Bacteria multiplies every like 20 minutes its out: It could make someone sick c"v !
I feel sick thinking about it Puke

Where do you see that?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus