Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cleveland Baltimore and other cities: cost of life
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:19 am
How much do you pay for (please indicate your city/quarter/suburb and the size/weight/volume of each):
Baltimore:
A bottle of CY milk $4.69ish
(that was amother, I think discussing a gallon, which sounds cheaper than 7mm prices....because last I was there a few weeks ago, a half gallon was less than half the price of a gallon Wink 2.59-2.79 is normal for a half gallon)
A bottle of orange juice -
64 oz is about 3.79 I think
A bottle of grape juice or kiddush wine - biggest bottle of kedem $2.50 regular sale price predictably 3 times a yr. stock up
that's not the biggest bottle, it's 64 ounces (96 is costco sized) but the best price around anywhere, I miss it Sad
A bottle of coke - $1.20
average is more like $1.50ish, but there are sales bringing it down to $1 often
Potatoes
5 lbs is usually 2.50-3
Apples
between .79 cents a lb and 1.79 a lb
Strawberries $3.00
don't really buy
Onions
.69-.79/lb
Zucchini
between 1-2$/lb
Eggplants
never bought
Tomatoes
.79 cents a lb is common, but this changes often, grape tomatoes are like .99-2.50/container
A full chicken
$10-$13 cut in 1/8s
A full salmon
you can get on sale $7-$8/lb but you have to look out for that pricing
A loaf of frozen gefilte fish
cheapest brands are like 3.99 on sale, all the way up to maybe 6.79 for fancier brands (where I live now they're all around $8 Sad )
A bag of frozen schnitzel
does that mean pre-breaded? probably around $13, I have no idea. if you mean cutlet pieces, that can usually be bought for 5.69/lb or cheaper, fresh
A pack of pasta $1.20
there are always sales for $1/lb, or even less (especially if you coupon) -- but these are macaroni/spaghetti/ziti ones, not egg noodles for kugel or lokshen or lasgana...
A pack of cookies
no idea what that means, but not too expensive....shoprite brand sold in 7mm for chocolate chip and abc squares is relatively cheap
A pack of flour
5 lbs is under $3 for all purpose, there are also bulk sales for fancier types
A pack of rice
I think $3 for white 5 lb, but I don't remember exactly

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:49 am
Just to let you know, if you want to get a good idea on prices- look online at the different secular grocery stores. Where I live the frum stores don't always have websites but places like Koger, Albertsons, Von's/pavilions, shop rite.... Etc do post their weekly circular on sales. I have found that if you are willing to shop around (get tomatoes, pasta, soda at store X but cucumbers, chicke and grape juice at Y) you will save tons.
So if you are looking for a particular neighborhood ask what their stores are (some storesgo by different names in different cities) and zip codes. Kosher chicken and cheese migh not be on there and not all brands are kosher but for general items like vegetables, or obviously kosher items (Kedem, gefiltefish) it can be a real help!
Good luck on your endeavor!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How much do you pay for (please indicate your city/quarter/suburb and the size/weight/volume of each):
Baltimore:
A bottle of CY milk $4.69ish
(that was amother, I think discussing a gallon, which sounds cheaper than 7mm prices....because last I was there a few weeks ago, a half gallon was less than half the price of a gallon Wink 2.59-2.79 is normal for a half gallon)

HY, where do you get a gallon of CY milk for 4.69? It is 5.99 in 7 mm right now! you are right, their half gallons are cheaper, but don't tell them otherwise they will put the price up! pls tell me where to go for a 4.69 gallon! Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 11:32 am
That wasn't me -- I was quoting amother's post and then added in my () that amother said that and it doesn't make any sense to me since half a gallon is cheaper than half the price, and they're easily 2.79 each!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 11:33 am
I think they know that the half gallons are cheaper; whole gallons are more expensive because so many people get them on WIC. For those of us not on WIC, we save and just get half gallons plus they're easier to pour anyway!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 11:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That wasn't me -- I was quoting amother's post and then added in my () that amother said that and it doesn't make any sense to me since half a gallon is cheaper than half the price, and they're easily 2.79 each!

whoops sorry, I misunderstood u then!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating